Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Future Oxford/Said Business School Applicant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Future Oxford/Said Business School Applicant [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 08:34
I am interested in obtaining an MBA further down the road. My reasoning for waiting pertains to my lack of relevant work experience in the business field. I felt that my four and half years of military service is not enough applicable experience. However, I will be entering a straight 2 year dual degree program at The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University, which consists of a Masters in Public Administration (International Development Emphasis) and a Masters in International Relations (Global Markets and Global Development emphases). After obtaining these degrees, I hope to enter consulting on an international level.

I hope by undertaking this avenue and entering the field of International Development, I will have ample experience to apply to this MBA program. My question now is how old is too old to apply to such a program? Currently I am 28, but after graduate school and some work I will be about 37 years of age. Is this detrimental to an applicant competing against a younger cohort? Also, my undergraduate degree from BYU is Middle Eastern Studies/Arabic with a 3.82 cumulative GPA. Will this type of degree hinder me in the admissions process when I apply? I know this is early in the game for asking these questions, but I feel the need to be prepared, regardless of the timing.

Any advice or feedback that can be given is appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Future Oxford/Said Business School Applicant [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 12:38
DevDoc,

I hope that my tale will alleviate some of your concerns. In my 20's, I spent some time working non-career jobs and then recovering from a near fatal injury. I earned my BS in Mechanical Engineering and my MS in Aerospace Engineering at ages 31 and 33 respectively. My subsequent work experience directly relates to my long-term career goals. I will be joining the incoming class at the Said Business School this autumn at the ripe old age of 39 (most likely I’ll be oldest member of the class but meh). It would behoove you to have a clear understanding of what the MBA will do for you and to explain in detail your career goals in your application and how it relates to your experience.

It looks as if you’ll complete your studies by 30 and have 7 years of real experience under your belt by the time you apply. This mirrors my path and I was successful. You may consider applying with 4 or 5 years of experience but that will depend on your job/career/life at that point. Also, the GMAT stays valid for 5 years. You may want to look into taking it while you are still in the academic mindset. I needed to take it twice in order to achieve my 700+ score.

I wish you the best of luck.

Cheers,

VCentiza
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Future Oxford/Said Business School Applicant [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 09:03
Expert's post
Hi DevDoc,

Although there isn't a cutoff age for business schools, admissions teams will be looking closely at why you are pursuing an MBA. They will also want to see progression and growth throughout your career. Someone who applies to business school at a late age who has not taken on more responsibility throughout his or her career will not be rejected because of age, but will be because of their lack of progression.

Your degree in Middle Eastern Studies/Arabic will not hurt you. Students enter business school will many different undergraduate majors.

I hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate (June 2011)
Schools: Cambridge - Dinged, Oxford - Admitted, Cranfield - Admitted
WE 1: 1 year Operations @ top Nigerian Bank
WE 2: 2 years Portfolio Manager at Investment Banking Boutique
WE 3: At generalist private equity fund since September 2009

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Future Oxford/Said Business School Applicant [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 06:23
Hi Devdoc,

I know that diversity's a key factor for business schools. Imagine a class full of investment bankers.....It'll hardly be worth the experience. I think your unusual profile should stand you in good stead...I would have loved to have you in my class (I'm starting the Oxford MBA program in September) to regale us with tales of your military experience....thats the beauty of the MBA.

Don't be discouraged....do the obvious things well....good, clear essays outlining the logic of your decision to atend business school and hopefully, everything'll work out.

All the best!

'Bayo
www.nigerianintobschool.blogspot.com
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Future Oxford/Said Business School Applicant [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 07:09
I really appreciate all the responses I have procured thus far. They have been motivating and insightful to what I need to do. Also, I know that the Said Business School's course of study is geared toward a generalist outlook. However, can any of you give insight as to whether or not one can focus on marketing, strategy, or finance? I know this may go beyond the mark of Oxford's program, but I though I would ask anyways. Once again thank you for your time and considering these inquiries.
Re: Future Oxford/Said Business School Applicant   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2011, 07:09