Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [18]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [3]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [3]
Send PM
Re: Galapagos Tortoises vs Mainland Tortoises [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
There are a few key words in the claim that is made in the last sentence. "Undoubtedly" suggests a definite association that is made -- but that association is qualified by using the words "at least partially attributable".

Still, the use of the word "undoubtedly" suggests a definite connection...we can disprove that connection as being "definite" if we can introduce some possible doubt. As a result, this signals for us to use "exclusive negation" -- which is GMAT Pill CR Framework #4 Exclusive Negation

As such, we use Framework #4 as our pre-thinking, going into our answer choices. #2 shown is the negated version that our framework advises, can we find an answer choice that resembles this negated form?

Sure enough, we do find the correct answer choice that is exactly the answer choice we are looking for. Framework #4 advised us to look for a negated form of the conclusion -- and the answer indeed was that. That helped us save a lot of time in answering the question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
I understand option C.Option D mentions the negatives of the mainland that make it difficult for the mainland tortoises to be heavy. Thus we achieve the conclusion.

Why option D is wrong? Isn't it eliminating other cause??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
mallya12 wrote:
I understand option C.Option D mentions the negatives of the mainland that make it difficult for the mainland tortoises to be heavy. Thus we achieve the conclusion.

Why option D is wrong? Isn't it eliminating other cause??

The conclusion is the current average weight of Galapagos Tortoises is undoubtedly at least partially attributable to changes associated with the Galapagos' environmental conditions.

Galapagos's environmental conditions ----> average weight of Galapagos Tortoises is 25 kg heavier than mainland's.

The assumption needs to reinforce the conclusion to be true. So D) could not be true because it focuses on nutrients in soils which is not discussed in the argument how it relates to the environment's conditions. So, it's irrelevant. If we negate it, the soil is alike in those places. The conclusion can still be true that the tortoises in the islands are heavier because of the environment on the islands.

So, the assumption is C.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Conclusion: Thus, the current average weight of Galapagos Tortoises is undoubtedly at least partially attributable to changes associated with the Galapagos' environmental conditions

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) There are no types of vegetation on the Galapagos Islands that are known to benefit from dry conditions. -> vegetation was not discussed. Irrelevant.
(B) There were about as many tortoises on the mainland five thousand years ago as there are on the Galapagos Islands today. -> Irrelevant. We need to talk about weight of tortoises.
(C) The mainland's environment has not changed in ways that have resulted in tortoises on the mainland growing to be 25 kilograms lighter than they were five thousand ago. -> So, it is eliminating any other possibilities of weight reduction at mainland's tortoises. So, we left with G-Island environment to be contributor of weight increase of tortoises. Let's keep it.
(D) The soil on the South American mainland, unlike that on the islands, lacks important nutrients that help tortoises survive and grow heavy in a dry environment. -> It may lead to open other possibilities of weight reduction at South American mainland. And, we don't want to do it. Incorrect.
(E) The 25-kilogram weight difference between the tortoises on the Galapagos Islands and those on the mainland is the only difference between the two populations. -> Irrelevant.

So, I think C. :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts