Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 14

Re: SC: Style [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 16:20
This post received
KUDOS
Lets use POE

You need had been -because instrument was built first and then Galileo heard
so, B and E - gone

OK , A,C and D

D - I like D if there was a ' he ' in the end , without that this sentence goes for a toss

C is no good as well , if you remove all non-required clauses - you are left with Galileo and he . Also , this sentence uses two had been - not a good way to describe sequence of events - gone

A is the answer

Always tag your question

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: SC # Galileo [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 13:35
When it is necessary to repeat the subject after a comma and when is not?
Many thanks in advance.
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 733 [0], given: 40

Re: SC # Galileo [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 06:35
noboru,

I think if there is some contrast in the sentence and conjuction is present then we need a subject. For example,
Although X...., subject
x........, but (pronoun-x)/y.........
SVP
SVP

Re: SC # Galileo [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 02:55
ykaiim wrote:
noboru,

I think if there is some contrast in the sentence and conjuction is present then we need a subject. For example,
Although X...., subject
x........, but (pronoun-x)/y.........

Could anybody corroborate that?

Many thanks,

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP

Re: SC # Galileo [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 02:58
"on hearing" sounds very bad for me. Could anybody explain whether it is a common expression, when tu use it...

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: SC # Galileo [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 08:29
was little tough for me.. took close to 4 mins .. chose A..
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: SC: Style [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 09:55
testprep2010 wrote:
IMO A

what is OA?

OA is A!

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [3] , given: 65

Re: SC: Style [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 15:20
This post received
KUDOS
A.

I had a slightly different approach.

Besides C, D and E having all sorts of errors, I would eliminate C, D and E because even though would change the context slightly.
The original sentence emphasizes the fact that he wasn't the first person to invent the telescope. Inserting even though instead of but, the passage seems to emphasize the fact he did made the telescope and sounds more forgiving about the fact he wasn't the first.

Having been made on B is obviously wrong. so I went with A.

Does my reasoning make sense or valid? let me know.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 104

Kudos [?]: 229 [2] , given: 20

Re: SC: Style [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 14:36
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,

I've always liked this question. My approach:

First, whenever I see a question with a large portion underlined and without a clear (to me) decision point in that underline, I like to look at the first and last word of the answer choices to see if I can find a quick decision point. Very frequently the first or last words are different and you can determine whether you need one or the other.

Here, three use the last word "he" and two do not, so that became a first decision point for me. You'd need "he" in this case to refer back to Galileo unless the verb that follows "quickly built" is set up as a parallel verb to another past tense event before it. Because that doesn't happen in B or D, they're both incorrect.

The first words, either "Galileo" or "Even though Galileo", also note a decision to be made - here, you have to set up a transition between "did not invent the telescope" and "built one quickly after it was invented (paraphrase)". That can be done either with "Even though" at the beginning or "but" halfway through, but not with both. Therefore, E, which does both, is incorrect.

Keeping on that theme, check C for that transition - C uses "even though", but does so as a modifier to describe Galileo. Because modifiers separated by commas are nonessential information, you can remove them to check the rest of the sentence. Here, you'd then have:

Galileo he quickly built...

That's a redundant, unnecessary use of a pronoun and it's used without separation, so it's incorrect. A, although incredibly awkward to the ear, is the only one left standing without error, and is therefore correct.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: SC: Style [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 17:52
Great explanation Brian, thanks.
SVP
SVP

Re: SC: Style [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 04:47
Hi,
But in D, there is actually a || between did not invent and built, so I dont follow you when you say that "he" is needed there.
Could you clarify?
Thanks!

VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey guys,

I've always liked this question. My approach:

First, whenever I see a question with a large portion underlined and without a clear (to me) decision point in that underline, I like to look at the first and last word of the answer choices to see if I can find a quick decision point. Very frequently the first or last words are different and you can determine whether you need one or the other.

Here, three use the last word "he" and two do not, so that became a first decision point for me. You'd need "he" in this case to refer back to Galileo unless the verb that follows "quickly built" is set up as a parallel verb to another past tense event before it. Because that doesn't happen in B or D, they're both incorrect.

The first words, either "Galileo" or "Even though Galileo", also note a decision to be made - here, you have to set up a transition between "did not invent the telescope" and "built one quickly after it was invented (paraphrase)". That can be done either with "Even though" at the beginning or "but" halfway through, but not with both. Therefore, E, which does both, is incorrect.

Keeping on that theme, check C for that transition - C uses "even though", but does so as a modifier to describe Galileo. Because modifiers separated by commas are nonessential information, you can remove them to check the rest of the sentence. Here, you'd then have:

Galileo he quickly built...

That's a redundant, unnecessary use of a pronoun and it's used without separation, so it's incorrect. A, although incredibly awkward to the ear, is the only one left standing without error, and is therefore correct.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 315

Re: SC: Style [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 00:29
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:
Hi,
But in D, there is actually a || between did not invent and built, so I dont follow you when you say that "he" is needed there.
Could you clarify?
Thanks!

hi noboru,
Let me try to work out your concern about (D).
First Look at "even though blah blah blah"
1. When we have a sentence beginning with "even though,...",the clause following "even though" is subordinate clause and we need the main clause which have S + V --> that why we need "he" working as a S here
2. "even though" is different in meaning with "but. "Even though" shows something paradox so it is not appropriate when applying in the meaning of this sc.
Hope it helps. Please correct me if i'm wrong

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 4

Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 14:00
This post received
KUDOS
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.
(a)
(b) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,
(c) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
(d) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,
(e) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, o such an optical instrument being made, he
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 66

Re: GMAT Prep Galileo [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 06:01
daryayurlova wrote:
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.
(a)
(b) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,
(c) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
(d) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,
(e) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, o such an optical instrument being made, he

Here your ability to notice redundancy is being tested.
In E the idea of contrast is already expressed in but or even though so you don't need both to express that idea. E is out.
In D we want to express that there is a contrast but the way eventhough is used here kind of alters the meaning of the sentence. Even though also means in spite of the fact that, and that is not the idea that we want to express (according to the original sentence).
D is out.
In C, for the same reason as D you can eliminate C.
In B, the verb tenses used are not correct. "Galileo had not invented the telescope" the words in red should have been written in the simple past tense because what Galileo did was in fact in the past. "of such an optical instrument having been made" the words in blue should have been in the past perfect tense b/c that occurrence happened before an occurrence (Galileo did not invent the telescope) that took place in the past.

A is correct. On hearing is like saying upon hearing or right after he heard. That is the correct idiom.

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT Prep Galileo [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 06:17
Thank you!
So distorted meaning in D is the only reason i should exclude ... No obvious grammar flaws?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 66

Re: GMAT Prep Galileo [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 06:38
daryayurlova wrote:
(a)

There is one grammatical flaw in D. "that such an optical instrument had been made," Right at the end the pronoun "he" should have been placed.

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT Prep Galileo [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 06:42
Lesson: stick to original meaning
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

Re: GMAT Prep Galileo [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 12:23
Only A is grammatically correct.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 118

Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 03:59

a) Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
b) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,
c) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
d) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,
e) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he

OA is provided

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why not D?
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 497 [1] , given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Galileo did not invent [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 20:30
This post received
KUDOS
In "D", After using "on hearing", there should have been the use of "he" in the end. "he" is missing in "D".

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Re: Galileo did not invent   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2011, 20:30