Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 21:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:44) correct 50% (00:50) wrong based on 264 sessions
Galileo's theory that [highlight]ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus.[/highlight]
(A) ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus
(B) ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced that of Copernicus
(C) our solar system was indeed solar for Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced Copernicus'
(D) our system was indeed solar, in which Earth and other planets revolved around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus
(E) Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system reinforces that of Copernicus

I was Confused between B and E............will post explanation later.........
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 21:31
It should be B. in E, the word "reinforces" depicts present tense. Past tense is required here and "reinforced" fulfills the requirement.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 21:33
gsd85 wrote:
Galileo's theory that [highlight]ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus.[/highlight]
(A) ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus
(B) ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced that of Copernicus
(C) our solar system was indeed solar for Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced Copernicus'
(D) our system was indeed solar, in which Earth and other planets revolved around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus
(E) Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system reinforces that of Copernicus

yup +1 for B... E appears to change the meaning that earth and other planets could be from other solar systems, but the revolve around the sun, which is in our solar system.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1618 [0], given: 249

Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 23:15
Expert's post
B says that ours “was” a solar system. Does that mean that our is not a solar system now? Remember please they are still live and relevant theories.Are we not supposed to use simple present for eternal and universal facts?

When there is a blatant grammatical error, I am afraid that will take precedence over other factors in the POE.

Let us appreciate that solar system is the specific name given to the Sun and its family. Any other star or its family is not called solar. Therefore, there is no question of either our solar planets orbiting some other stars or other planets belonging some other stellar system orbiting our Sun.

I would rather be happy to eliminate B for use of inappropriate tense and go with E. Then, I will not be surprised if Kaplan comes out with some unusual thesis to its defense.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 23:43
Yes.....daagh for the same reason .....i thought B is incorrect...there should be present tense..also the construction of E and B use 'Revolve'... the theory is relevant even today.....but some how Kaplan says B is the correct answer......i am still confused between B and E
Intern
Intern

Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 07:26
I too go with E; i think univ facts should be in presents rgt? so i go with E but again not sure:(
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 07:52
gsd85 wrote:
Yes.....daagh for the same reason .....i thought B is incorrect...there should be present tense..also the construction of E and B use 'Revolve'... the theory is relevant even today.....but some how Kaplan says B is the correct answer......i am still confused between B and E

gsd85 - don't you have explanation from Kaplan? appreciate if you can post it here.

If you like my post, please press Kudos+1

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 04:04
B is faulty. But E is not perfect either. 'reinforced' in E would have made it perfect.

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIM

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 04:44
sarangadhar wrote:
gsd85 wrote:

gsd85 - don't you have explanation from Kaplan? appreciate if you can post it here.

Yeh, I too will appreciate Kaplan's explaination

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
** Every single second counts.
*** One KUDO earned is One step closer to GMAT. Help me in getting closer to GMAT.
**** i-invite-you-in-my-gmat-journey-121396.html.

Test Description_______Date____Total___Quant_____ Verbal
GMAT PREP1_____________________610
GMAX online test 1____29.07.2011__540_____43________19
MGMAT CAT 1_________03.09.2011__580____42________28
MGMAT CAT 2_________02.10.2011__690____48________36
GMAX online test 2_____16.10.2011__640____48________32
MGMAT CAT 3_________23.11.2011__670____47________34
Veritas free CAT______ 31.10.2011___630___ 46________33
MGMAT CAT 4_________06.11.2011__690____48________36
MGMAT CAT 5_________13.11.2011__660____46________34
MGMAT CAT 6_________19.11.2011__680____51________33
GMAT PREP2__________23.11.2011__680
GMAT Exam___________24.11.2011__690____50________34

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 02:14
gsd85 wrote:

Answer: B (as far as I can see, this is the best possible answer. I do agree that 'ours was' does not seem right)
A - We are talking about Galileo's theory reinforcing Copernicus' theory. Theory is singular here. So, it should be 'that' and not 'those'.
C - nonsense.
D - nonsense.
E - alteration in meaning. In original, Galileo theorised about what sort of system ours is -> solar system (i.e. every planet revolves around the sun). However, in option E, Galileo theorised about the revolution of the planets.

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 09:41
gsd85 wrote:

I got B
E is incorrect because hypothesis was - "ours was a solar system" and not "Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system"
There is change in meaning.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 11:25
B is right.

I started with tail part. 'Galileo's theory' is compared with 'Copernicus's theory'. Theory is singular. So ruled out options A and D.
E and C are awkward.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 11:39
gsd85 wrote:

to everyone supporting B: even if 'was' is the correct form....shoulding 'revolve' be changed to 'revolved' then??? " in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun" is a description of the solar system
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 32

Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 18:24
"those" - theory - Incorrect ( Those is used to refer to plural nouns)--A, D out

C - Incorrect Meaning

E - Reinforces - " the correct tense:should be past reinforced"

B is correct
Manager
Manager

Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 18:26
upasanadatta wrote:
gsd85 wrote:

to everyone supporting B: even if 'was' is the correct form....shoulding 'revolve' be changed to 'revolved' then??? " in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun" is a description of the solar system

Earth still revolves around the sun.

So it cannot be past. Sounds logical
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 20:39
GMATPASSION wrote:
upasanadatta wrote:
gsd85 wrote:

Earth still revolves around the sun.

So it cannot be past. Sounds logical

# our planetary system is known as solar system: fact
#planets revolve round the sun : fact
earth still revolves round the sun....and ours still is a solar system........why write one in past tense and the other in present tense?
Manager
Manager

Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 20:56
@ upasana

Agree with u. Ours is still a solar system.

Can sumbody clarify???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 00:27
+1 for B.

We need a the word 'indeed' in the sentence, so that the emphasis is preserved in 'solar system'...... rather than earth and other planets revolving, which is missing in E.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 5

Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 03:56
This post received
KUDOS
Pretty sure B is correct.

Quote:
...that ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced that of Copernicus.

The use of simple past seems fine, because when Galileo came up with his theory, it was just that: a theory. It had not been proven to be a fact, yet.

This must be in present tense, because it's simply the definition of a solar system.

This must be in simple past, too, since the sentence describes a situation in the past. At that time, Galileo's theory reinforced that of Copernicus.

So either both the red and the blue part of the sentence are in a present tense or both are in a past tense, as is the case in answer choice B. Choice E would take care of the tenses, as well, but it integrates the term "solar system" into its own definition. Both "planets revolve around the sun" and "solar system" basically mean the same. The difference between B and E with regard to this is that B does refer back to the term "solar system" in order to explain it in a relative sentence, while E fails to establish that causal/explanatory connection between planets revolving around the sun and what that means for the type of our planetary system.

GMAT 720 Q47 V42 AWA 6.0, TOEFL 110.

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: Good SC question [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 09:30
gsd85 wrote:

Ans - 'B'

Comparison between singular 'Theory' and 'Those of' is incorrect.

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Re: Good SC question   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2011, 09:30