Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 07:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system, in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system, in [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 18:14
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

47% (02:19) correct 53% (00:28) wrong based on 8 sessions
Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus.

(A) ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus
(B) ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced that of Copernicus
(C) our solar system was indeed solar for Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced Copernicus'
(D) our system was indeed solar, in which Earth and other planets revolved around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus
(E) Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system reinforces that of Copernicus

Could you please also explain your answer?
Thx :)
CEO
CEO
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 482 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Difficult SC [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 18:35
yhc25 wrote:
Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus.

(A) ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus
(B) ours was indeed a solar system, in which Earth and other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced that of Copernicus
(C) our solar system was indeed solar for Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun, reinforced Copernicus'
(D) our system was indeed solar, in which Earth and other planets revolved around the sun, reinforced those of Copernicus
(E) Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system reinforces that of Copernicus

Could you please also explain your answer?
Thx :)

E. "reinforced" is a wrong verb in terms of tense. Why past tense?

In fact requires "present tense". So needs "reinforces" for the singular subject "Galileo's theory that Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system".

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Difficult SC [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2008, 02:19

in A and D, 'those' wrongly refers to 'theory'. C also contain an error - Copernicus'

Between B and E I'd choose B, because both Galileo and Copernicus lived in an old time, and one's theory reinforced that of another.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Difficult SC [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2008, 03:48
atletikos wrote:

in A and D, 'those' wrongly refers to 'theory'. C also contain an error - Copernicus'

Between B and E I'd choose B, because both Galileo and Copernicus lived in an old time, and one's theory reinforced that of another.

Me too,

E slightly distorts the way the meaning of the original

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Difficult SC [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2008, 04:21
I would go with B as well.

'those' is incorrect, since we are referring to the {singular} theory, so A and D are out. C is akward, 'solar' used too many times. E distorts the meaning.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Difficult SC [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2008, 17:58
E actually does not distort the meaning. It actually corrects the meaning.

GMAT throws some facts at us in a distorted shape and expects us to identify them. Unless I am egregiously mistaken, Ours is (NOT was) still a solar system.

E corrects that and makes a concise statement.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Difficult SC [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2008, 20:07
I go with E as well,others just don't seem right. What's the OA?
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Difficult SC [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 11:27
pkmme wrote:
+1 E, whats the OA?

I feel E changes the meaning .
I will go with B . Its the best .
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 33

Re: Difficult SC [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 11:32
Please post OA for this question. I think there is nothing wrong with C: apostrophe at the end in C is the correct choice as per Manhattan. I don't agree that E corrects the meaning although E is the most correct choice grammatically.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 33

Re: Difficult SC [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 11:35
sudhir18n wrote:
pkmme wrote:
+1 E, whats the OA?

I am actually concerned about the comma before "in which" in B. Otherwise B looked good as well.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Difficult SC [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 11:41
sgupta0827 wrote:
sudhir18n wrote:
pkmme wrote:
+1 E, whats the OA?

I am actually concerned about the comma before "in which" in B. Otherwise B looked good as well.

Why do u think a "comma" in B is a problem?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 20

Re: Difficult SC [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 13:07
i will go with B.

I think B is alright, there is no problem with comma. And if the clause in between comma is removed, sentence makes more sense..
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1420 [0], given: 245

Re: Difficult SC [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 06:22
Expert's post
The focus of the text is to stress Galileo's theory that ours is a solar system. B brings out that emphasis correctly by placing it as the main function with the main verb ‘was’ and by relegating the explanatory revolving with a prepositional parenthesis, which is fairly dispensable to the main theme. The past tense is used here because, that finding was done sometime in the past and was a one time affair and not a perpetual occurrence

Tht said, doesn’t E subtly change the meaning? If the earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system, where do they revolve outside our solar system?

Again doesn’t E without a comma after solar system, render that the sun in the solar system reinforces that of Copernicus? You do need a comma between ‘system and reinforces’ for the reinforcement to modify the theory

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Difficult SC [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 11:11
Quote:
Tht said, doesn’t E subtly change the meaning? If the earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system, where do they revolve outside our solar system?

There was misconception that sun revolved around the earth.

Quote:
Again doesn’t E without a comma after solar system, render that the sun in the solar system reinforces that of Copernicus? You do need a comma between ‘system and reinforces’ for the reinforcement to modify the theory

I do not think so.
Galileo's theory that Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system reinforces that of Copernicus.
Remove the relative clause and you get the simple sentence.
IMO E.
OA please.

Conquer the Hell and make it Haven. Brain is your hell and Success is your haven!

"Kudos" is significant part of GMAT prep. If you like it, you just click it :)

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Difficult SC [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 13:13
IMO, B.

E modifies the original meaning. The theory appeared in the past and reinforeced Copernicu's in the past. Not now.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 397

Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system, in [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2013, 08:55
OA is B (Kaplan question)

Can somone explain to what "ours" refers to? Is not it wordy in our case?

Thanks

Think outside the box

Re: Galileo's theory that ours was indeed a solar system, in   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2013, 08:55