Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 79
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 05:10
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:27) correct 16% (00:33) wrong based on 317 sessions
Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today.

(B) of different mental functions that are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(C) that different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today

What reason can you give for eliminating any option??
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by younggun044 on 23 Sep 2007, 06:28, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1563
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [2] , given: 6

Re: SC - hypothesis [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 08:12
2
This post received
KUDOS
both are correct

(1) hypothesis that - A scientific hypothesis that survives experimental testing becomes a scientific theory

(2) hypothesize that - Researchers hypothesized that fatty acids are an important mediator in the development of obesity.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1775
Followers: 1226

Kudos [?]: 3355 [2] , given: 181

Re: Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 07:24
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
roopika2990 wrote:
Hi... Can you explain your reason for eliminating B??


Hi roopika2990,

Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today.

(B) of different mental functions that are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(C) that different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today

The original sentence talks about Gall’s hypothesis. What is this hypothesis?
Hypothesis = different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain. His hypothesis is not of different mental functions. His hypothesis is about mental functions and the sentence clearly spells out that hypothesis.

Choice B states that Gall’s hypothesis is of different mental functions. This is not the intended meaning. This makes choice B incorrect.

Choice C correctly and clearly conveys the intended meaning. It spells out what the hypothesis is, and hence is correct.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________



Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - hypothesis [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 06:00
younggun044 wrote:
Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today.

(B) of different mental functions that are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(C) that different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today

What reason can you give for eliminating any option??


Hypothesis of is unidiomatic. Hypothesis of there being is wordy.

C stands; hypothesis that is idiomatic. Also, hypotheis is singular so "is widely accepted today" conforms to SV agreement as well.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 79
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - hypothesis [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 06:33
dwivedys wrote:
younggun044 wrote:
Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today.

(B) of different mental functions that are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(C) that different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today

What reason can you give for eliminating any option??


Hypothesis of is unidiomatic. Hypothesis of there being is wordy.

C stands; hypothesis that is idiomatic. Also, hypotheis is singular so "is widely accepted today" conforms to SV agreement as well.


well i beg to differ hypothesis is not unidiomatic.Reason given by OG to eliminate this choice is different....

"of different mental functions does not convey Gall's point about those functions" cudn't make it out what does it mean.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - hypothesis [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 06:54
younggun044 wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
younggun044 wrote:
Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today.

(B) of different mental functions that are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(C) that different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today

What reason can you give for eliminating any option??


Hypothesis of is unidiomatic. Hypothesis of there being is wordy.

C stands; hypothesis that is idiomatic. Also, hypotheis is singular so "is widely accepted today" conforms to SV agreement as well.


well i beg to differ hypothesis is not unidiomatic.Reason given by OG to eliminate this choice is different....

"of different mental functions does not convey Gall's point about those functions" cudn't make it out what does it mean.


I did not say hypothesis was unidiomatic. I said "hypothesis of" is unidiomatic.

OG is pointing to the LOGICAL element involved in the sentence. Without the relative THAT (in choice B) -- Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions localized etc.. means that the hypothesis pertained to different mental functions that were localized... but that's obviously NOT the point; the mental functions were NOT already existing. It was Gall's hypothesis that they DID; you can't hypothesize something that already exists.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 145
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 16:55
Answer should be C.
B seems to say that Galls hypothesis is only about different body functions...

B changes the meaning
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2009
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - hypothesis [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 22:52
another question,

C--"are localized" is a passive verb. if use "that different mental functions localized" is that right? Why?

Thanks!

I puzzled...
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 956
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - hypothesis [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 23:14
Hi all,

Please tell which of the following is/are correct:
1. hypothesis that
2. hypothesize that
_________________

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 956
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - hypothesis [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 10:02
Seekmba,

These examples are good. Can you please explain the respective usage of both types?
I mean when the two are used (under what circumstances).

seekmba wrote:
both are correct

(1) hypothesis that - A scientific hypothesis that survives experimental testing becomes a scientific theory

(2) hypothesize that - Researchers hypothesized that fatty acids are an important mediator in the development of obesity.

_________________

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1563
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 6

Re: SC - hypothesis [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 11:26
yakiim, i have general idea of their meaning and usage. Will try my best to answer your question.

hypothesis is a noun. the synonyms of 'hypothesis' are theory, possibility, supposition, speculation

hypothesize is a verb. the synonyms of 'hypothesize' are speculate, suppose, theorize

for example,

The scientists hypothesize (verb) that this medication will have a significant effect on cancer. They now need to test their hypothesis (noun) to see if they are right.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 206
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 14:16
The reason I would separate answer B from C:

There are essentially 2 things that we want to say about Gall's hypothesis:

1. What is his hypothesis? Different mental function are localized in different parts of the brain.
2. What is its current state? It is widely accepted today.

The trick is to clearly illustrate these 2 thoughts in one sentence without creating confusion. I think that the best way to do this is to set off a relative clause using the pronoun "that."

Gall's hypothesis [highlight]THAT different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain[/highlight] is widely accepted today.

The correct answer, C, accurately conveys the meaning. The highlighted portion tells you what his hypothesis is and the bold portion tells you that it is widely accepted today.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 174
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 24

Re: Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 09:41
Option C as Option B changes the meaning
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 286
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 08:47
a. of there being redundant and wordy
b. distorts the authors intent
c. correct
d. use of which is in correct + which .... that - redundant
e. use of which is in correct + which .... that - redundant
_________________

********************
Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 171
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 05:39
GetThisDone wrote:
a. of there being redundant and wordy
b. distorts the authors intent
c. correct
d. use of which is in correct + which .... that - redundant
e. use of which is in correct + which .... that - redundant



Hi... Can you explain your reason for eliminating B??
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 249
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 02:09
younggun044 wrote:
Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today.

(B) of different mental functions that are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(C) that different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today

What reason can you give for eliminating any option??


A hypothesis makes a qualified guess... But B suggests that a hypothesis is an explanation of something (at worst), or is something that relates to different mental functions (at best).. Either way, it's ambiguous.. C on the other hand correctly implies hypothesis is a qualified guess by giving us "that".
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 18
Location: Azerbaijan
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 04:05
egmat wrote:
roopika2990 wrote:
Hi... Can you explain your reason for eliminating B??


Hi roopika2990,

Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today.

(B) of different mental functions that are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(C) that different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today

The original sentence talks about Gall’s hypothesis. What is this hypothesis?
Hypothesis = different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain. His hypothesis is not of different mental functions. His hypothesis is about mental functions and the sentence clearly spells out that hypothesis.

Choice B states that Gall’s hypothesis is of different mental functions. This is not the intended meaning. This makes choice B incorrect.

Choice C correctly and clearly conveys the intended meaning. It spells out what the hypothesis is, and hence is correct.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Shraddha,

But if we start from the meaning of the original sentence as you teach in 3 step approach:
1 - the original sentence "Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions" is saying that Gall has proposed the presence of different mental functions (all scientists before had thought that there are no different functions).
2 - we have the ed-modifier giving additional details re the different functions (their placement in the brain).

So, in my opinion the original sentence A is implying that the main point is about the different functions (meaning presented in B choice), but not about their actual placement (meaning presented in C choice). Could you please address my concerns re this official question ?
Re: Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2014, 04:05
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Gall s hypothesis of there being different mental functions Harishkotha 4 18 Apr 2012, 19:46
1 Despite there being no fundamental difference in Leopard 6 21 Jun 2008, 10:37
Galls hypothesis of there being different mental functions goalsnr 3 24 Feb 2008, 16:12
Gall’s hypothesis computer-bot 1 05 Jul 2007, 19:32
Galls hypothesis of there being different mental functions krish 6 16 Sep 2004, 16:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.