Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Garnet and RenCo each provide health care for their

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 107 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Garnet and RenCo each provide health care for their [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 18:19
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:53) correct 25% (01:05) wrong based on 125 sessions
Garnet and RenCo each provide health care for their employees. Garnet pays for both testing of its employees' cholesterol levels and treatment of high cholesterol. This policy saves Garnet money, since high cholesterol left untreated for many years leads to conditions that require very expensive treatment. However, RenCo dose not have the same financial incentive to adopt such a policy, because ______.

A. early treatment of high cholesterol dose not entirely eliminate the possibility of a stroke later in life
B. the mass media regularly feature stories encouraging people to maintain diets that are low in cholesterol
C. RenCo has significantly more employees than Garnet has
D. RenCo's employees are unlikely to have higher cholesterol levels than Garnet's employees
E. the average length of time an employee stays with RenCo is less than it is with Garnet

I understand why OA is correct, but still confused what is wrong with D.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GWD # 12 V8 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 18:33
eybrj2 wrote:
Garnet and RenCo each provide health care for their employees. Garnet pays for both testing of its employees' cholesterol levels and treatment of high cholesterol. This policy saves Garnet money, since high cholesterol left untreated for many years leads to conditions that require very expensive treatment. However, RenCo dose not have the same financial incentive to adopt such a policy, because ______.

A. early treatment of high cholesterol dose not entirely eliminate the possibility of a stroke later in life
B. the mass media regularly feature stories encouraging people to maintain diets that are low in cholesterol
D. RenCo's employees are unlikely to have higher cholesterol levels than Garnet's employees
E. the average length of time an employee stays with RenCo is less than it is with Garnet

Answer choice D does not originate back to the premise.

And just because they offer these treatments to their employees can not mean that they are expected to have lower cholesterol than RenCo. A conclusion can not be an assumption that is drawn to reach a conclusion, a conclusion has to be brought out by the premise.

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: GWD # 12 V8 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 02:49
eybrj2 wrote:

Ok, lets discuss D only.

If the odds of employees having high cholesterol are low, Renco would want to get them treated because STAKES ARE HIGH (as evident from "very expensive treatment")
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

Re: GWD # 12 V8 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 08:41
My choice is E. And for D i think the level of cholesterol is not a strong incentive since as indicated in the premise time is a more important factor.

Btw, what is GWD # 12 V8 if you don't mind?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: GWD # 12 V8 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 15:39
Thank you all for the explanations.

To gmatfighter12,

I am not sure what GWD means. It is a name of files that I received from my friend.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Garnet and RenCo each provide health care for their [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 05:12
Answer (E): The premise states the policy adopted by Garnet saves money because if cholestrol is not treated at an early stage it can cause severe problems in the LONG RUN. This is the key here. The argument assumes that the workers at Garnet stay with them for a long time (perhaps, also at the time when their cholestrol levels might be high). Hence if these people are not treated on time it might cost the company alot of money.

The argument hinges on the assumption that the workers in Garnet are working on Long term basis.
Answer choice that shows the opposite of this for the employees of Renco, then their decision not to follow this policy would be justified.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 300

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Garnet and RenCo each provide health care for their [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 21:55

Option D as stated by fellow members that if RecCo has less cases then definitely it would like to solve them.
Option E Justifies the financial incentive also.

Rgds,
Saurabh

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 1.4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: Garnet and RenCo each provide health care for their [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 13:20
pls let me know why OA is not option 'C'.
since renco lacks does n't have the funds....

also E does nt explicitly states the time spent by employees in both renco and garnet.
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 67

Re: Garnet and RenCo each provide health care for their [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 02:38
HI
Assumption: The companies must provide or take care of employee's medical commitment
Having said that ....when we scan the passage carefully......
Read the quoted excerpt
"This policy saves Garnet money, since high cholesterol left untreated for many years leads to conditions that require very expensive treatment."

Garnet provides financial aid since it helps them:
1. saves money because it cannot afford the cost of treatment if treatment is delayed...i.e It is the garnet which will have to pay the money for the same employees treatment cost now and in future.....It means that employee stays with garnet.

Coming to the point of Renco
If it leaves the disease untreated, it will save the company extra money. Why?
Refer to the excerpt quoted above. Only if it is left untreated for many years it will cost much...Employee is not of a concern for long years to the Renco.......i.e. Its employee or employees keep changing.
Re: Garnet and RenCo each provide health care for their   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2013, 02:38