Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:28) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 32 sessions
Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, are increasingly being studied for their potential to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and significant contributors to global warming.

A.to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and
B.to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and even as
C.as huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and
D.as huge reservoirs of energy, and the possible cause of sea floor instability,
E.as huge reservoirs of energy, as possible causes of sea floor instability, and even as
CEO
CEO
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 02:47
I think its E, because it sounds the most parallel. However sentence correction is my Achilles heel....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 12:16
I was between B & E but go with E because B's 'to be....and even as' doesn't seem right....
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 13:17
the question is about gas hydrates potential as A, as B and as C. the best construction is the parallel construction choice E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Potential... [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 16:15
jho1 wrote:
Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, are increasingly being studied for their potential to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and significant contributors to global warming.

A.to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and not ||. WRONG
B.to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and even as 'not || WRONG'
C.as huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and ' Potential as possibly causing instablity?... WRONG'
D.as huge reservoirs of energy, and the possible cause of sea floor instability, 'not ||, as X, and Y, Z' WRONG
E.as huge reservoirs of energy, as possible causes of sea floor instability, and even as
'as X, as Y, and even as Z, ||, Potential as possible causes for instablity.' CORRCT

E it is. :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Potential... [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 23:18
leeye84 wrote:
jho1 wrote:

A.to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and not ||. WRONG
B.to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and even as 'not || WRONG'
C.as huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and ' Potential as possibly causing instablity?... WRONG'
D.as huge reservoirs of energy, and the possible cause of sea floor instability, 'not ||, as X, and Y, Z' WRONG
'as X, as Y, and even as Z, ||, Potential as possible causes for instablity.' CORRCT

E it is. :)

Yes. It should be E. But OA given says "A" which, I believe, doesn't make sense at all!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 13:10
I chose "A."

I see your decision to go with "E," based on parellism, but first that parallelism has to be idiomatic: "...being studied for their potential as...". When you put it back in the sentence, "potential as" does not sound as good as "potential to be." Instead, "A" correctly uses the idiom, "...being studied for their potential to be...". It also has correct parallelism, "...to be [blank]...and [blank]". If you take out the modifier, "possibly...instability," it makes more sense. The modifier is there to throw you off.

Despite the above reasons, it cannot be "B" because adding "even" in there is unnecessary. Just plug the answer choice back in the stem to make sure it flows.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 20:11
Although the idiom is 'potential to' but E makes more sense in this case because of ||ism.
In A it is not clear what 'possibly causing' refers to reservoirs or gas hydrates.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 04:13
Y it can't be A ?
My reason for why I eliminated A, B and C is huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability

It means as if reservoirs of energy are causing sea floor instability which is not the meaning that the original sentence intends to present. So A,B and C are ruled out for possibly. It must be possible which is D and E. Now you can consider the parallelism issue in D and E and easily rule out D.

djhouse81 wrote:
I chose "A."

I see your decision to go with "E," based on parellism, but first that parallelism has to be idiomatic: "...being studied for their potential as...". When you put it back in the sentence, "potential as" does not sound as good as "potential to be." Instead, "A" correctly uses the idiom, "...being studied for their potential to be...". It also has correct parallelism, "...to be [blank]...and [blank]". If you take out the modifier, "possibly...instability," it makes more sense. The modifier is there to throw you off.

Despite the above reasons, it cannot be "B" because adding "even" in there is unnecessary. Just plug the answer choice back in the stem to make sure it flows.

Press +1Kudos :-) Thank u

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 78

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 04:48
how to eliminate to be and as .....

A and C is my shortlisted answer .. I chose C because I thought "as" is a better usage then "to be" ...

B,D and E --> do not convey the true meaning of the sentence ....
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1622 [1] , given: 249

Re: Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Very interesting.

Point 1. Let me give a different dimension of //ism. How many things are the Gas Hydrates have the potential to be or pote4ntial as? Only two and not three as D and E point out: 1. Potential to be huge gas reservoirs and 2. Significant contributors. The intervening participial phrase ‘possibly causing sea instability’ is an adverbial modifier that modifies the previous clause in its entirety. It is therefore not essential to see what it modifies. So in my opinon, D and E are droppable in as much as they point out to three things as the GHs have the potential for while the text means only two factors.
Pont 2. Between to be and as. ‘Potential to be’ IMO, is kind of speculation. Something has the potential to be, but it is not exploited as of now. For all that the potential may even turn negative. On the contrary, ‘potential as’ is something that is confirmed. But the original note borders more on speculation considering them to potentials to be; and one of these factors is even a possible cause for some instability. That is the reason we have to drop C, D and E. In A and B. apparently, the intervening modifier looks inelegantly placed, but still is passable. In B, the addition of ‘even as’ is unnecessary and changes the meaning of the original text. So B is gone. A looks the best bet IMO.

My kudo to the original poster of this thread.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 78

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 07:28
daagh wrote:
Very interesting.

Point 1. Let me give a different dimension of //ism. How many things are the Gas Hydrates have the potential to be or pote4ntial as? Only two and not three as D and E point out: 1. Potential to be huge gas reservoirs and 2. Significant contributors. The intervening participial phrase ‘possibly causing sea instability’ is an adverbial modifier that modifies the previous clause in its entirety. It is therefore not essential to see what it modifies. So in my opinon, D and E are droppable in as much as they point out to three things as the GHs have the potential for while the text means only two factors.
Pont 2. Between to be and as. ‘Potential to be’ IMO, is kind of speculation. Something has the potential to be, but it is not exploited as of now. For all that the potential may even turn negative. On the contrary, ‘potential as’ is something that is confirmed. But the original note borders more on speculation considering them to potentials to be; and one of these factors is even a possible cause for some instability. That is the reason we have to drop C, D and E. In A and B. apparently, the intervening modifier looks inelegantly placed, but still is passable. In B, the addition of ‘even as’ is unnecessary and changes the meaning of the original text. So B is gone. A looks the best bet IMO.

My kudo to the original poster of this thread.

Nicely explained.. Now i know how to differentiate A from C...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 282

Re: Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 02:13
What is the OA. I am still confused between potential to be and potential as.

@daagh: Here I think potential to be is the right usage.
Ex- Sachin has the potential to be the captain
Sachin's potential as captain is questionable
So usage of example 1 is more suitable here.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 282

Re: Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 02:25
What is the OA. I am still confused between potential to be and potential as.

@daagh: Here I think potential to be is the right usage.
Ex- Sachin has the potential to be the captain
Sachin's potential as captain is questionable
So usage of example 1 is more suitable here.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 17

Re: Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 04:14
Hi Daagh,

Thanks a lot for providing the detailed explanation.

However, I am still confused on how to identify the intended meaning in the original question, as both "Potential to" (in option A) and "Potential as" (in option E) are idiomatically correct............... To maintain parallelism, (E) seems to be correct.......... However, going by your logic, where "Potential to" seems to have a speculative intention, (A) seems to be correct.

I googled this question, and found other forums where this question has been discussed. While some experts select (E), others select (A).

In the following link, expert Eli from Kaplan (who is also active in Gmatclub) suggests that (E) is correct because only (E) maintains parallelism
http://www.beatthegmat.com/gas-hydrates-t18920.html

Similarly, in the following post, an expert from Manhattan also suggests that (E) is correct
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gas ... 16086.html

However, experts in the following post vacillate between (A) and (E), with the final post of an expert leaning towards (A)
http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentenc ... tes-2.html

The point here is not how experts interpret this question, but how GMAC will interpret such a question - Will GMAC lean towards making the sentence parallel, i.e term (E) as correct, or will lean towards (A)?

Please let me know your views on this, because if such a question is presented in the GMAT, most of us will select (E) because it is difficult to guess whats the intended meaning - i.e. whether the sentence should have a adverbial modifier (possibly causing sea floor instability) or whether it should have a list (possible causes of sea floor instability).

Thanks a lot for your time and efforts
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1622 [0], given: 249

Re: Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 08:14
Expert's post
@ Muki
I am out of my town and will reply as soon as I return

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1622 [0], given: 249

Re: Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 05:49
Expert's post
The point is, if GHs are reservoirs of energy that cause sea floor instability,, then A is correct (the phrase starting with “ possibly causing” is taken as a modifier). On the contrary, if GHs cause seafloor instability as a separate factor, then E is ok on the count of //ism alone, notwithstanding the intrusion of ‘even’ in that choice.
Coming to the factor of ‘the potential to be and the potential as’, if both are interchangeable as you have researched out, then GMAT may as well avoid this question altogether, not wanting to get caught in the muddle.

Intern
Intern

Re: Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 08:49

I believe the answer is "A". It's idiomatic for Gas Hydrates TO BE X, AND Y. Answer choice E may be parallel, but by listing it out, it changes the meaning of the original sentence - Gas Hydrates......potential to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, AND significant contributors to global warming. The "possibly causing sea floor instability" is modifying reservoirs of energy. Answer choice E separates them. Thus I believe answer choice A is correct.
Intern
Intern

Re: Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2014, 20:35
Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, are increasingly being
studied for their potential to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor
instability, and significant contributors to global warming
A. to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and
For parallelism, the construction has to be like
to be X, Y and Z
Here, X(huge reservoirs of energy) is not parallel to Y(possibly causing sea floor
instability)

B. to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and even as
Same as A
C. as huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and
as X,Y and Z
Here also, X(huge reservoirs of energy) is not parallel to Y(possibly causing sea floor
instability)

D. as huge reservoirs of energy, and the possible cause of sea floor instability,
as X,Y and Z
Here also, X(huge reservoirs of energy) is not parallel to Y(the possible cause of sea floor instability)

E. as huge reservoirs of energy, as possible causes ofsea floor instability, and even as
Fits perfectly ! :wink:
Re: Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas,   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2014, 20:35