Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gautama

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Gautama [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 07:54
The word ‘Buddha’ denotes not just the historical figure, Gautama, it refers to a type of person, one who has achieved enlightenment, just like the term ‘king’ or ‘priest’

A. The word ‘Buddha’ denotes not just the historical figure, Gautama, it refers to a type of person, one who has achieved enlightenment, just like the term ‘king’ or ‘priest’

B. Just like ‘king’ or ‘priest’, the word ‘Buddha’ denotes not just the historical figure Gautama, but a type of person, one who has achieved enlightenment

C. The word ‘Buddha’, similar to the words ‘king’ or ‘priest’, denotes not just the historical figure Gautama, but an entire class of people, those who have achieved enlightenment

D. The word Buddha denotes not just the historical figure Gautama, but, like ‘king’ or ‘priest,’ refers to a type of person - in this case, one who has achieved enlightenment

E. Like the word ‘king’ or the word ’priest,’ the word ‘Buddha’ does not just refer to the historical figure Gautama, but rather to a class of persons who have achieved enlightenment
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 08:27
going with C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 19:12
Will go for D.. all others make king priest point to Gautama.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 19:40
mbawaters wrote:
The word ‘Buddha’ denotes not just the historical figure, Gautama, it refers to a type of person, one who has achieved enlightenment, just like the term ‘king’ or ‘priest’

A. The word ‘Buddha’ denotes not just the historical figure, Gautama, it refers to a type of person, one who has achieved enlightenment, just like the term ‘king’ or ‘priest’

B. Just like ‘king’ or ‘priest’, the word ‘Buddha’ denotes not just the historical figure Gautama, but a type of person, one who has achieved enlightenment

C. The word ‘Buddha’, similar to the words ‘king’ or ‘priest’, denotes not just the historical figure Gautama, but an entire class of people, those who have achieved enlightenment

D. The word Buddha denotes not just the historical figure Gautama, but, like ‘king’ or ‘priest,’ refers to a type of person - in this case, one who has achieved enlightenment

E. Like the word ‘king’ or the word ’priest,’ the word ‘Buddha’ does not just refer to the historical figure Gautama, but rather to a class of persons who have achieved enlightenment

E win

1. "Like" modifies correctly "the word Buddha" and compares correctly "the word King or the word "priest"

2. not ...but (rather)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 03:43
I think it is C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 06:52
mbawaters wrote:

I go for C. The subject Budha has to be modified by the two other 'words' king or 'priest' and C does just that. Also Correct subject verb agreement "The word Budha denotes"
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 07:11
C,

although it goes down between C and E.

I think E slightly changes the meaning of the sentence. Refer does not mean the same with Denote. I say C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 08:01
This one is geting interesting.

OA please?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 08:54
Another vote for me on C.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 08:58
mbawaters wrote:

I will go for E

The pronoun THOSE does not have a clear antecedent.
Also the phrase "Entire Class of people" is wordy and redundant.

The relative clause "who have achieved..." clearly identifies the persons.

Manager
Manager
Schools: HKUST

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 15:20
E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 15:28
All who have voted for anything other than D,

Do you guys think King and priest are terms used for those who have attained enlightenment....to me all options other than D indicate that and I belive its wrong...thats why I chose D.

Buddha refers to one who has attained enlightenment.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 05:33
D.

Last edited by asaf on 07 Apr 2008, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 08:18
kyatin wrote:
All who have voted for anything other than D,

Do you guys think King and priest are terms used for those who have attained enlightenment....to me all options other than D indicate that and I belive its wrong...thats why I chose D.

Buddha refers to one who has attained enlightenment.

Cool
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.9
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 23:07
In case anybody bump this post and wonder what is the OA.....
OA is D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 16:17
going with C. 'similar to' is correctly used instead of' like'. not..but construction is parallel

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-30-2012

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 20:28
I Will go with E
correct Idiom Not X but rather Y
Budha (name) can't be historical figure "Gautama" , its rather refer to historical figure "Gautama".
that'y I think that option "E" better than "C"

KUMAR GAURAB
GET MAD ABOUT TEST

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 46

Re: Gautama [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 23:27
Folks, This questions has some serious issues. the OA says "not just ... but ..." , which is incorrect. This requires parallelism.

Note - Ron says that this questions has fatally flawed problem; ignore; move on.
http://www.beatthegmat.com/sc-meaning-t83074.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Gautama   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2012, 23:27

Gautama

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap