Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 23:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gave GMAT last week...ended up with 640 (Q49,V 28) -Terrible

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Gave GMAT last week...ended up with 640 (Q49,V 28) -Terrible [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 19:16
Hello,
I had attempted GMAT last week and disappointingly ended up with a 640. I am targeting to appear for GMAT again in November. Can you please guide me as to how to pace the Verbal part.

I am not bothered about Quant as I had been scoring 50 but something wrong happened on the test Day.

Learning is the main weapon in an individual's life

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Gave GMAT last week...ended up with 640 (Q49,V 28) -Terrible [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 21:57
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [3] , given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Gave GMAT last week...ended up with 640 (Q49,V 28) -Terrible [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 00:26
This post received
KUDOS
pugilist wrote:
Hello,
I had attempted GMAT last week and disappointingly ended up with a 640. I am targeting to appear for GMAT again in November. Can you please guide me as to how to pace the Verbal part.

I am not bothered about Quant as I had been scoring 50 but something wrong happened on the test Day.

Hi Buddy : Trust me, This indomitable spirit of urs will help u in sailing through the turbulent waters of gmatland.

U are almost there , V 28 is not a bad score but then there's no harm if it could be raised to ur expectation level.

Now the tripods of ur 2nd attempt can be the following ;( Though u will be a better judge )

1.Concepts : Anything in particular that's giving me jitters ( Modifier / Parallelism / Comparison / Tense / SV = Guess these are the main ones bxn which 70-80% of GMAT V revolves ); If yes, plz try n revisit the concepts from any material that suits u best = plz don't club too many materials to have a hang on the basics of same concept , it somewhat becomes disillusionary.

Once through now u can shift gears and try to search for the Advanced versions of the same topics / the shortcuts / the mind reading game : For this there are some very good materials on forums such as gmatclub/ BTG / MGMat etc = my personal opinion ( Search for RON PUREWAL aka lunarpower = he is a legend / he is magical ) / u can lay ur hands on thursdays with RON ( either live sessions or can download the recorded sessions - search vimeo / youtube/ mgmat site/ gmatclub 0

2. Pattern recognition : V 28 suggests that u must have exhausted all resources but still if u can, think of redoing OG / verbal review / GMATPREP docs = Practise with the official retired questions, mark the wrong ones = Search in forums to get a feel of how forum wizs / experts read the particular problem ; you won't find a single question that's unanswered = My humble suggestion, though a cliche , stick only n only to officcial questions . for fresh meat u can lay ur hands on GMATPREP question bank 1 @ 1000 bucks from mba.com ( 400 official retired Q's not found elsewhere )

3. Timing : u can realize that 90% of SC , in particular, can be solved from the cosy atmosphere of one's room but when that timer starts ticking, it becomes a completely diff ball game - things start to get tangential. So once through with 1 & 2 bring out ur error logs & practise in blocks of 40 (yes 40 and not 15 / 20, till 15/ 20 ur mind stays alert/ u stay agile but as the number increases fatigue creeps in and the GMAT beast unfolds itself ) under timed condition ( 1.5 for SC / 2-2.5 for CR ) ; once comfortable try n mix SC / CR , this will really help u in taking a stab under time crunching situations.

Take as many tests as u can till it becomes ur second nature; GMATPREP both older n newer version / MGMAT 6 tests :Don't fret too much over the scores, the tets should be taken with an intent to acclimatise urself with the gruesome grind of those 4 hrs, build up ur stamina/ energy level .

My learnings from 2 miserable attempts.
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 307 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Gave GMAT last week...ended up with 640 (Q49,V 28) -Terrible [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 04:03
There is a lot of juice that can be extracted from OG12 SC solutions, which you will not find anywhere. Spending 5-10 mins on tough questions, googling will help you a lot in identifying patterns. For example
- 'it' can break a parallelism if the same is not present at all places.
- more/less must be followed by than and not by "compared to/compared with"
- presence of 'had' is a red flag, check whether past perfect makes sense.
Try 1,2 line takeaway from each OG12 SC problems and revisit the problems.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 26

Re: Gave GMAT last week...ended up with 640 (Q49,V 28) -Terrible [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 07:14
hi, can you tell me the materials that you used for quants?

this time, we play for keeps

Intern
Intern
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Gave GMAT last week...ended up with 640 (Q49,V 28) -Terrible [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 09:36
vinzycoolfire wrote:
hi, can you tell me the materials that you used for quants?

No preparation man..............seriously Quant I haven't practised at all. You can subscribe GMAT Club Tests if you want to practise the same.

Learning is the main weapon in an individual's life

Re: Gave GMAT last week...ended up with 640 (Q49,V 28) -Terrible   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2012, 09:36