Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GBB gets a job in NYC, but test is next week!!! argh!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
GBB gets a job in NYC, but test is next week!!! argh!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2008, 12:41
Just heard from that I got the job in downtown Manhattan. But I live in Tampa... I need to find a place ASAP, but my test is scheduled this coming wednesday!

Its too late to reschedule so there goes 250$. I feel that I am ready, but I am kinda stressed to find a place... especially since I start next freakin Tuesday!!! Yikes! So I dunno whether I should sit for the test or not or just take the bullet of 250$ and take i later. But then again work may take all my time away from studying, ima be so busy.

Stupid NYC apartments, just like Tokyo. Pay someone 3000$ just to find you a place.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: GBB gets a job in NYC, but test is next week!!! argh!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2008, 13:06
Hey there. . .when I first came here, I had 2 weeks to find a place. Check out http://www.craigslist.org. Many ppl post there. You should look in brooklyn and/or New Jersey for less expensive options. Now if money is not object, then the skies the limit, but you probably won't spend much time there so spend wisely.

Areas to consider in Brooklyn: Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Clinton Hill, Bed-Stuy (progressively getting better), Bay Ridge.

In Jersey: Hoboken, Jersey City, Union City - trendy areas that are popular for younger ppl.

Good luck. As for the test, you should take the $250 lost, you'll make it back quick in your probably high paying NYC job. :-D Focus on the move and reschedule once you've settled down. It would end up being a waste anyway if you didn't do well because of all the stress and anxiety right now.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GBB gets a job in NYC, but test is next week!!! argh!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2008, 13:08
Congratulations on the job, blackbelt! I don't advocate this as a long-term solution, but if you look up Budget Hotels in NYC on citysearch.com, as I recall they had a number of places which were surprisingly affordable and not rat-traps. Might be a nice alternative to say, crashing on a friend's couch. As to the apartment search...yeah, it's pretty rotten at all times. Perhaps your new firm can provide some help/guidance?

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GBB gets a job in NYC, but test is next week!!! argh!!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 14:55
good stuff hear from you.
take gmat while you have time to do so now. with ur work it is not practical later. myself having problems now. work and something else at home other than family is not really possible, unless otherwise you have nerves and patience.
good luck.
what is that you are going to do at your work? ibank, accounting, marketing, or others.
Re: GBB gets a job in NYC, but test is next week!!! argh!!!   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2008, 14:55