Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GClub M03, Question 7/37 - 3 overlapping sets

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
GClub M03, Question 7/37 - 3 overlapping sets [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 18:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:45) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 39 sessions
Foodmart customers regularly buy at least one of the following products: milk, chicken, or apples. 60% of shoppers buy milk, 50% buy chicken, and 35% buy apples. If 10% of the customers buy all 3 products, what percentage of Foodmart customers purchase exactly 2 of the products listed above?

A) 5%
B) 10%
C) 15%
D) 25%
E) 30%

I am not convinced with the explanation given. There was also an alternative explanation, which wasn't very clear either -

Even though this is not a typical 2-group problem with overlapping members, we can still apply the group formula: Total = G1 + G2 + N - B, where G1, G2 are group 1 and group 2, N is neither, and B is both. Because we have more than 2 groups, we need to adjust the formula to reflect customers purchasing 3 products and therefore being members of 3 groups, and being counted as 3 distinct customers. The formula needs to be modified as follows: Total = G1 + G2 + G3 + N - B - T*(3-1) , where T is members of three groups and B is members of only two groups.

There is no neither group because all customers purchase at least one product.
The correct answer is D.

I suspect the formula for three overlapping sets used in the question. Can someone confirm it.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GClub M03, Question 7/37 - 3 overlapping sets [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 20:36
BarneyStinson wrote:
Foodmart customers regularly buy at least one of the following products: milk, chicken, or apples. 60% of shoppers buy milk, 50% buy chicken, and 35% buy apples. If 10% of the customers buy all 3 products, what percentage of Foodmart customers purchase exactly 2 of the products listed above?

A) 5%
B) 10%
C) 15%
D) 25%
E) 30%

I am not convinced with the explanation given. There was also an alternative explanation, which wasn't very clear either -

Even though this is not a typical 2-group problem with overlapping members, we can still apply the group formula: Total = G1 + G2 + N - B, where G1, G2 are group 1 and group 2, N is neither, and B is both. Because we have more than 2 groups, we need to adjust the formula to reflect customers purchasing 3 products and therefore being members of 3 groups, and being counted as 3 distinct customers. The formula needs to be modified as follows: Total = G1 + G2 + G3 + N - B - T*(3-1) , where T is members of three groups and B is members of only two groups.

There is no neither group because all customers purchase at least one product.
The correct answer is D.

I suspect the formula for three overlapping sets used in the question. Can someone confirm it.

The formula is
n(AUBUC) = n(A)+n(B)+n(C)-B+A-N
where B is both (it will sum of (A&B), (B&C), (C&A)).
and A is All
and N is neither
so plugging in we get
100 = 60+50+35+10-B-0
B = 55.
exactly two = 55 - 3(10) = 25
subtracting 10% three times as this value is including in all the (A&B), (B&C), (C&A).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: GClub M03, Question 7/37 - 3 overlapping sets [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 21:01
bangalorian2000 wrote:
The formula is
n(AUBUC) = n(A)+n(B)+n(C)-B+A-N
where B is both (it will sum of (A&B), (B&C), (C&A)).
and A is All
and N is neither
so plugging in we get
100 = 60+50+35+10-B-0
B = 55.
exactly two = 55 - 3(10) = 25
subtracting 10% three times as this value is including in all the (A&B), (B&C), (C&A).

Gotcha bro!!! You are indeed smart!!!

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Re: GClub M03, Question 7/37 - 3 overlapping sets   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2010, 21:01