Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GE Leadership Program/ Peace Corps - please review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.01
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
GE Leadership Program/ Peace Corps - please review [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 23:34
Hi Alex,
Do you mind reviewing my profile please? I appreciate your time and input.

Industrial Engineering, Top 15 Engineering School, GPA 3.01
GMAT: 680 (Q49, V 34) (might take again to try and get a 700)
Work Experience:
General Electric - Commercial Leadership Program (6 month sales training program)
General Electric - Account Manager 2 years
division of GE got sold so I left
Sales Director - Capital Medical Equipment (2 years)
US Peace Corps, Africa (current) - Teaching Business Skills to students, working with local small businesses to grow their businesses

Extracurricular: Before joining the Peace Corps I volunteered as a CASA. Court Appointed Special Advocate. I mentored a child in the foster care on a weekly basis for 4 years. Represented and attended his court hearings on his behalf. Also led a large fundraising effort on the organizations behalf.

I finish the Peace Corps in 2012 and want to get my MBA. I am currently thinking about coming back to Africa and doing some non profit work after my MBA. I might want to join the corporate world again to gain some more relevant experience that I can learn from and bring to Africa. Not sure fully.

I would love to go to one of the top 3 but realize my GMAT and GPA are well below average. Do any of the top schools care more about and value the Peace Corps than others? What are my chances at the top 3? I am also looking at Darden and Duke.

Thanks!

utlnghrn34
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: GE Leadership Program/ Peace Corps - please review [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 08:25
You have enough of a shot that it's worth applying to H/S/W. As you've already mentioned, your GMAT/GPA will be an issue (although being in engineering, they will cut you more slack, as engineering programs are known to grade on a much harsher curve than arts/sciences or business).

Every top b-school values Peace Corps experience, so I would focus on schools you really want to go to, rather than "which schools I can get into" because any of them will give you a serious look.

At this point, the only thing you can do is to boost that GMAT -- at your current score, you're going to be on the margins anywhere; with a 700+, you should be competitive for any top b-school, including H/S/W.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.01
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GE Leadership Program/ Peace Corps - please review [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 21:51
Thanks for the informative reply Alex!
Re: GE Leadership Program/ Peace Corps - please review   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2011, 21:51