Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 13:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Geezer Scores 730 (Q48 V42)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Geezer Scores 730 (Q48 V42) [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2006, 18:00
This one goes out to the one or two other grey-hairs out there thinking about chasing their MBA; it can be done.

I took my GMAT today at a Pearson center in Bellaire Tx (small city swallowed inside Houston). I called the center yesterday to confirm my appointment and any last-minute changes; everything was go. I had set my test at 11:30 AM, which I recommend as a good go-time. It's late enough that you are awake, but early enough that you are still fresh. At least that's how it worked out for me.

Now I know we're all supposed to be quiet and relaxed and have nothing else to do on the test day, but Life is not always so obliging. In my case, I had to take my daughter to daycare, bring the sedan in to have the oil pan replaced (dang thing cracked last Saturday), and then do some shopping for things needed, as well as feed the dogs and put out the trash. The trick there is to always know how much time you have - since I managed to finish all my chores more than two hours before I had to go to the test center, I still had time to decompress and get myself mentally prepared.

Check-in was a bit long but no big deal. I brought a bottle of water, a can of cola, and two apples, which worked out great. The lockers are big enough and easy to use.

Oddly enough, despite all the noise and worry I found the noteboards easy to use, no problem at all. There were actually four 2-sided laminated pages, a little larger than legal size, and bound at the top to easily handle.

The AWA was a breeze. Basically what you do is just think for a little bit about the basics (Do I agree? Why or why not? How was the argument put together? What would make it stronger, etc.), give yourself a framework and write as if you are having a discussion on the subject.

The Quant almost scared me to death at first; the first four questions were increasingly hard. I know that means you're doing well, but I was unsure of every one of my answers until the first Data Sufficiency question. I got very few of those, for some reason. I saw a lot of Algebra questions, only one coordinate geometry question. The last six questions were ridiculously easy, I was really worried I must have somehow missed a trick.

Verbal was a lot like the practice tests. I didn't see even one Critical Reasoning question that I can recall, which bothers me - CR was a strong suit for me during practice. I saw a lot of Sentence Correction, mixed in with five sections about Reading Comprehension. At least two questions had a set of answers where none seemed correct, so I figure I must have missed those.

When I finished the test, I was pretty comfortable that I had done well in Verbal, but cratered in Quant. So I was pleasantly surprised to see the 730, with a 48 Quant (86th percentile) to go along with the 42 Verbal (96th percentile). I do not understand, however, if I got the 86th percentile for Quant and the 96th percentile for Verbal, how I am supposed to have the 97th percentile overall, but I will take it and not complain.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to test, especially the other old fogies who wonder if you can go back in your forties as I am doing now.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2006, 18:08
Fantastic job Drummond! It's always an achievement to go beyond 700 and especially so at your age. So will you be reading for a MBA now that you have cleared the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

[#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2006, 18:47
Thanks yes, that's the plan. I am looking at UH-Victoria or Texas A&M-Commerce as my first two choices, and this score should do nicely.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2006, 19:19
Congrates Drummond for the great score.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Great Score - Explantion of 97th % [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2006, 19:59
" do not understand, however, if I got the 86th percentile for Quant and the 96th percentile for Verbal, how I am supposed to have the 97th percentile overall, but I will take it and not complain. "

If I understand correctly, your Overall score is where you lie in terms of your combined Verbal & Quant scaled scores (based on how many correct answers at the according degree of difficulty). Based on the score distribution, it's somewhat easier to get a stratospheric Quant score than verbal (you were only three points below a 99th percentile in Quant, me too, it drives me nuts). The 99th percentile for Verbal is anywhere from 45-60 vs. 51-60 for quant. Your oustanding performance on the Verbal catapulted you in the 97th percentile in terms of total points (you beat the mean by almost 15 points there). That is why some schools look harder at quant, to adjust the score a bit (I've heard). In your case, it almsot certainly won't matter.

Anyway, great score. Your AWA advice is also succint and accurate. Best of luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2006, 21:59
With that score, it should get you into any school. I guess you'll be busy with apps and essays now. Have a nice time doing those! :wink:
  [#permalink] 14 Mar 2006, 21:59