Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 11:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

General app question (how to show new jobs at same company)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

General app question (how to show new jobs at same company) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 08:44
I was just browsing an online application for the first time. In the employment history section it appears that the different entries for jobs relates to different types of employers. Is this typically the case? What should one do for multiple jobs at the same employer (both promotions and lateral job changes)? Should these be entered as separate jobs?

Thanks!

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 16

Re: General app question (how to show new jobs at same company) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 09:15
good question mate ... I am in a similar situation ... some thoughts would be appreciated.

rca215 wrote:
I was just browsing an online application for the first time. In the employment history section it appears that the different entries for jobs relates to different types of employers. Is this typically the case? What should one do for multiple jobs at the same employer (both promotions and lateral job changes)? Should these be entered as separate jobs?

Thanks!

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: General app question (how to show new jobs at same company) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 14:23
If the jobs have substantially similar responsibilities, then I would group them together. Otherwise, they should be separate entries.

RF

Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: General app question (how to show new jobs at same company) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 14:43
Show them as separate positions. In fact, it can work in your favor as my interviewer remarked that the number of promotions I received was very impressive. It's an excellent way to show career progression--that you didn't have to switch shops to move up into higher positions. Being recognized internally at your company enough to be promoted is a very good indicator of your performance.

Another portion of my application asked for a detailed salary outline. So even if your job's title didn't change, it serves to show career progression as well.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 5

Re: General app question (how to show new jobs at same company) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 14:52
I made different entries with my job title for each of the positions I held.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 3

Re: General app question (how to show new jobs at same company) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 15:03
FairPlay wrote:
Show them as separate positions. In fact, it can work in your favor as my interviewer remarked that the number of promotions I received was very impressive. It's an excellent way to show career progression--that you didn't have to switch shops to move up into higher positions. Being recognized internally at your company enough to be promoted is a very good indicator of your performance.

Another portion of my application asked for a detailed salary outline. So even if your job's title didn't change, it serves to show career progression as well.

Do most people list salary changes in their resume? I've had 2-3 major (> 10%) salary changes in the past few years, should I list them in the resume, or only when asked in the application?
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

Re: General app question (how to show new jobs at same company) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 15:16
jasonc wrote:
Do most people list salary changes in their resume? I've had 2-3 major (> 10%) salary changes in the past few years, should I list them in the resume, or only when asked in the application?

I've never seen any resume discuss salary or bonus. Unless an employer or school specifically asks for it, I wouldn't put any compensation data on a resume.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: General app question (how to show new jobs at same company) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 15:25
jasonc wrote:

No, do list it on your resume. If required, schools will ask for salary/raises/bonuses in a separate part of the application. (Kind of like how you fill in your demographic information separately.) This goes into their stats as to how much of a salary increase their students achieve after graduation.
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 3

Re: General app question (how to show new jobs at same company) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 15:29
Thanks for the clarification - a dumb question on my part - I would/should have known this if I started filling out the online apps :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 5

Re: General app question (how to show new jobs at same company) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 16:31
Some schools request specific formats, I think that Chicago asks you to put salary info in your resume. I wouldnt put it on your resume unless the schools ask for it...

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: General app question (how to show new jobs at same company) [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 05:30
FairPlay wrote:

Thank you, this is very helpful. It is especially crucial for me because I've only worked at 1 company (since graduation) because of the promotions I've received and broad roles I've been given.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

Re: General app question (how to show new jobs at same company) [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 15:28
I grouped mine by different salary grades and different functions.

For example, I worked 7 years at a company, 5 years as an engineer, 2 years as business dev.

Years 1-3: Title: Engineer
did this and that and something else

Years 3-5: Title: Senior Engineer
increased responsibility, etc...

Years 5-7: Title: Business Development
different tasks and responsibilities

something like that. :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

Re: General app question (how to show new jobs at same company) [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 14:21
kryzak wrote:
I grouped mine by different salary grades and different functions.

For example, I worked 7 years at a company, 5 years as an engineer, 2 years as business dev.

Years 1-3: Title: Engineer
did this and that and something else

Years 3-5: Title: Senior Engineer
increased responsibility, etc...

Years 5-7: Title: Business Development
different tasks and responsibilities

something like that. :)

There are resume books from Tuck and Wharton floating around...they also have some pretty handy examples of how to indicate role/titles within the same company :)
Re: General app question (how to show new jobs at same company)   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2008, 14:21