Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

General essay question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

General essay question [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 16:48
In situation oriented questions such as describe a situation where you made impact etc.., is it wise to narrate the situation is a dramatic way or should we just state the situation in simple English...

A dramatic way would be opening the situation with a conversation or with a scene whereas simple English would be X happened then Y happened....

All the sample essays I have read so far don't use any drama in the essays.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: General essay question [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 17:05
I wouldn't rely too much on those sample essay books. They're mostly from a few years ago when essay word limits were a lot less restrictive, and that's no longer the case. To quote an oft repeated phrase, "show, don't tell!" If you're an accomplished enough writer to engage the reader even by way of dry "X happened then Y" prose, then go ahead. Otherwise feel free to insert a bit of drama in your essays. Just make sure you have a few people read your essays to make sure you don't come across as trying too hard or sounding overly contrived.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: General essay question [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 19:08
solaris1 wrote:
I wouldn't rely too much on those sample essay books. They're mostly from a few years ago when essay word limits were a lot less restrictive, and that's no longer the case. To quote an oft repeated phrase, "show, don't tell!" If you're an accomplished enough writer to engage the reader even by way of dry "X happened then Y" prose, then go ahead. Otherwise feel free to insert a bit of drama in your essays. Just make sure you have a few people read your essays to make sure you don't come across as trying too hard or sounding overly contrived.

I definitively agree with this.

I just got a copy of Paul Bodine's book. I think it's a great resource on writing essays, more so than Montauk's book.

However, almost all the sample essays are at least 1000 words long and I think only one of my schools (Duke) has an essay longer than 500 words.

Trying to follow their formula is going to get you in a lot of trouble.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong with writing an essay in a dramatic way. However, you're first priority should be including the info you need to include. Then worry about the prose. If you can't find a catchy way to open the essay, but it's well written and interesting in it's own right, I would leave it.

I would also guess that as more and more essays are written in this formulaic way, it will lose it's impact.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: General essay question   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2008, 19:08