Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 18:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

General Mills FLDP Program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

General Mills FLDP Program [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 10:46
I'm graduating (undergrad/msf program) in May and I have a job offer from General Mills for their FLDP Rotational program (financial analyst). Down the road I'd like to pursue an MBA, hopefully from a top 10 program. I was wondering how this experience would be viewed by adcoms in terms of admission to the program. Any insight into the prestige and quality of work experience of the program would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: General Mills FLDP Program [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 11:31
It should be fine...there will obviously be some people with a more prestigious name on their resume, however, they're mostly looking for a firm with name recognition so that your accomplishments are somewhat more validated (reading your resume, it's a little easier to understand a bullet point about being involved in an acquisition of some yogurt brand at GMI than it is for me to tell what it meant to increase sales in a company I've never heard of).

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: General Mills FLDP Program [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 12:16
Thanks highhopes. That is exactly the response I was looking for. Obviously, General Mills doesn't carry the same level of "prestige" as Goldman or McKinsey or something like that but it's good to know the name recognition is good enough to carry weight with the adcom.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: General Mills FLDP Program [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 18:58
One of my good friends at Kellogg was a General Mills finance guy...he was sponsored and had a pretty good deal from them. I think in terms of quality of corporate finance programs its probably going to be well regarded. Former consultants due make the majority of top programs, along with banker types...however there are still tons of people from other areas. If you intend to return to corporate finance then you will have a compelling story. Plus General Mills does value an MBA so you may luck out and get them to fund it.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Manager
Manager

Re: General Mills FLDP Program [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 19:10
Thanks Riv. Out of curiosity, what percentage of the "top" program students (lets say at Kellogg since you are an alum) would you say are Consultants or Bankers? I was checking out the Kellogg Employment Report and I noticed that the top hirers are mostly MBB, other consulting firms, and then a few F500 companies (General Mills being in the top 10 was nice to see). This makes me wonder if MBA adcoms would be looking primarily for Bankers/Consultants who have a higher likelihood or returning to the same field (to improve their placement numbers at the most prestigious firms). I think the GM program will give me some really great work experience and the opportunity to rotate through different business units is nice but I don't want to be viewed as an "average corporate finance guy" when applying to top MBA programs.
Manager
Manager

Re: General Mills FLDP Program [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 19:12
On a side note, I have heard from a current Financial Analyst at General Mills that the company will sponser students if they can get into 1 of 6 MBA programs: HSW, Kellogg, Booth, or Ross. This is one of the reasons I am focusing my questions mostly on the "top" programs (in this case the top 5).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: General Mills FLDP Program [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2010, 08:03
nbd52 wrote:
On a side note, I have heard from a current Financial Analyst at General Mills that the company will sponser students if they can get into 1 of 6 MBA programs: HSW, Kellogg, Booth, or Ross. This is one of the reasons I am focusing my questions mostly on the "top" programs (in this case the top 5).

Probably true, obviously my buddy was at Kellogg. But several companies I know of only sponsor folks for fulltime MBA's if they get into specific schools. They dont want to drop a bunch of money so you can go to U of Phoenix or something.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Re: General Mills FLDP Program   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2010, 08:03