Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2015, 07:02
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

General Recommendations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

General Recommendations [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 09:38
I am new to this forum and just wanted some advice. I graduated in May 2010 from Auburn University in Industrial Engineering with a GPA of 3.11. This includes courses that I have done Grade Forgiveness on that were not even in my major (Biology classes from a previous major). My GPA without the Grade Forgiveness is a 2.99. My first two years of college I made the Dean's list both times and had a GPA of around 3.8, but then my mom passed away and I went through a rough time and didn't put much effort into school. I now work as an Industrial Engineer in manufacturing plant in Alabama. Working as an engineer I really do not gain any management experience, but rather implement projects to increase efficiency and productivity. My goal is to eventually move into operations and Maybe become Director of Operations at a company. I have not studied at all for the gmat and took the gmat's practice test and scored a 710 (49Q 38V). I am thinking about doing a masters degree of operations management from Arkansas through distance learning, which I can do while I still work (company would pay for it where I work). This degree really is not prestigious at all, but I could get a high GPA in that degree. Should I just wait and study really hard for the gmat, or do this masters program and get a really high GPA? I am leaning toward schools like Emory, GT, and Florida, although I might consider a top 10 school.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: General Recommendations [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 10:05
Can anyone give me advice?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 6

Re: General Recommendations [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
sehamm10 wrote:
I am new to this forum and just wanted some advice. I graduated in May 2010 from Auburn University in Industrial Engineering with a GPA of 3.11. This includes courses that I have done Grade Forgiveness on that were not even in my major (Biology classes from a previous major). My GPA without the Grade Forgiveness is a 2.99. My first two years of college I made the Dean's list both times and had a GPA of around 3.8, but then my mom passed away and I went through a rough time and didn't put much effort into school. I now work as an Industrial Engineer in manufacturing plant in Alabama. Working as an engineer I really do not gain any management experience, but rather implement projects to increase efficiency and productivity. My goal is to eventually move into operations and Maybe become Director of Operations at a company. I have not studied at all for the GMAT and took the GMAT'S practice test and scored a 710 (49Q 38V). I am thinking about doing a masters degree of operations management from Arkansas through distance learning, which I can do while I still work (company would pay for it where I work). This degree really is not prestigious at all, but I could get a high GPA in that degree. Should I just wait and study really hard for the GMAT, or do this masters program and get a really high GPA? I am leaning toward schools like Emory, GT, and Florida, although I might consider a top 10 school.

Hi,
It would be great if you could define the path that you would like to take to become the Director of Operations. You could have two options - grow internally within the company or work for some time in the area of operations, complete your MBA and join at a managerial level in the companies that you would be interested to work in.
For internal growth path, a distance learning program sounds practical. However, regarding the program in Arkansas, there should be some other motivation behind doing the Masters Course other than to just to get a good GPA.
In the case that you want to pursue some higher education in management, you could appear for the GMAT. A score of 710 at the first go without any preparation seems promising. However, it would be a good idea to give the tests that come along with the GMAT prep CD when you enroll for the exam. Also, depending on the requirement of the schools and their areas of focus (operations, finance, entrepreneurship), you can decide when and to which schools to apply.

Regards,
Neha Singh
General Education
http://www.general-ed.com

Best Wishes
Neha Singh
Get personalized MBA Application Consulting
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Click here to look at some of the Testimonials for our awesome work

Try our GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 715 [0], given: 41

Re: General Recommendations [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 21:34
Expert's post
Well, to be honest, a distance learning program is less likely to get you the goals you are aiming at. You do certainly pick up some technical information, but you lack the real interaction with PEOPLE, faculty, students and alumni alike) that quite often not only boosts your learning curve but are sources for jobs, internships, business partners, etc.

If you have decent work experience, and your profile is otherwise strong, you could reasonably apply to the schools of your choice this year even with your low GPA. The important thing to do would be to address the problem head on: Write a moving essay (I would say usually in the optional essay) explaining the reason for your low grades, SHOWING the AdCom that you had great grades until this challenging event in your life, while at the same time assuring them of your intellectual capacity in other ways.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | School Guides | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: General Recommendations [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 06:37
Thank you precisionessay. I realize now that I just need to study for the gmat and try to make as high as possible I really think that I can make in the mid 700s, especially since on most of the english part, I just picked what sounded the best on the practice exam. I support my wife and one son. My dad said he would help me with money if I decide to go back to school, but I do not like getting money from anyone, even if he has a good high-paying job. My wife is currently in school to be an elementary teacher (yea I know jobs are tough and that I wouldn't pick this career). She has 2 years left, so I am going to wait for her and get my gmat score as high as possible, along with more work experience (less than 2 years currently). I agree that I need great essays, great recommendations, and to tone up my interviewing skills. I think that I am getting a little ahead of myself, but this really excites me. Do you think this is the best route?
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 715 [0], given: 41

Re: General Recommendations [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 09:53
Expert's post
I do! I like your long term planning. When you aren't in a rush you have more time to strategize carefully and overcome any obstacles you have. Plus, working it out so it fits your wife's plans too makes a lot of sense. :)

This might also be a good time for you to fill up on any extra curriculars, especially community service if your profile is lacking it.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | School Guides | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: General Recommendations   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2011, 09:53