Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

geography & essays?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
geography & essays? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 18:44
Ok, I think I know the answer to this, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

I am applying to Duke and UNC - both of which will fit my needs and provide a great experience. But what finally tipped these two into my portfolio was the geography. My partner is a soon-to-be microbiology PhD, and would have tons of opportunties there.

Obviously I need to make the case for how the school fits ME. But what about the geography question?

My point here is that I am gonna guess that good geography leads to better yields. Case in point: we are hiring at the CU. Geography has turned out to be a big deal. 2 candidates we liked a lot withdrew because their spouses didn't want to be in I-town. Two others have stuck with it because the spouse wants to be here.

So, after saying "this school and I are a match made in heaven, blahblahblah...." what about adding "and my partner likes it too?"

thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 382
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 19:25
I was reluctent to bring up geography as a reason anywhere I applied only because it did not 'sound' like important enough of a reason to mention (and forgo mentioning other school specific characteristics). However, in reality geography is one of the most important considerations.

If I were you I would mention your partner's opinion only if you could say taht Duke's or UNC's exceptional partners' program impressed him, etc.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: geography & essays? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 20:00
aaudetat wrote:
Ok, I think I know the answer to this, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

I am applying to Duke and UNC - both of which will fit my needs and provide a great experience. But what finally tipped these two into my portfolio was the geography. My partner is a soon-to-be microbiology PhD, and would have tons of opportunties there.

Obviously I need to make the case for how the school fits ME. But what about the geography question?

My point here is that I am gonna guess that good geography leads to better yields. Case in point: we are hiring at the CU. Geography has turned out to be a big deal. 2 candidates we liked a lot withdrew because their spouses didn't want to be in I-town. Two others have stuck with it because the spouse wants to be here.

So, after saying "this school and I are a match made in heaven, blahblahblah...." what about adding "and my partner likes it too?"

thoughts?


In my opinion , mentioning that your partner is equally excited about the school should not hurt.

I have seen a lot of people play the geography card, but cannot atteast whether it actually helps or not. I think it all depends how you play the card. Geography is something the schools know about but how you tie geography to your case may turn the it into advantage.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 20:07
I personally think it's probably better to include this sort of info at the interview stage. I think econgirl is right that there are so many other things that are probably more important to fit within those word limits. I can't imagine it would hurt, but I think it would not help as much as other topics.

Anyway, that's what I've decided. UNC is DONE! Someone I work with tomorrow is going to take a look over for typ-os, but then it's upload and out. Sigh. One ALMOST down.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1545 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 20:09
Your partner? Does this mean I have to stop entertaining thoughts of us running away together to some deserted island where you talk to me about options pricing theories while we make love?

Sigh.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1545 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 20:11
EconGirl wrote:
I was reluctent to bring up geography as a reason anywhere I applied only because it did not 'sound' like important enough of a reason to mention (and forgo mentioning other school specific characteristics). However, in reality geography is one of the most important considerations.

If I were you I would mention your partner's opinion only if you could say taht Duke's or UNC's exceptional partners' program impressed him, etc.


Thats the way to do it - express their interesst in the partners program.... not in the geography.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2006
Posts: 239
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 20:12
rhyme wrote:
Your partner? Does this mean I have to stop entertaining thoughts of us running away together to some deserted island where you talk to me about options pricing theories while we make love?

Sigh.


Lol, you had me burst out laughing with that.

Hmm...which makes me think...A personals / dating section for GMATClubbers? :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2006
Posts: 482
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 20:14
It's sounds like you have decided against this, but were you originally planning on fitting it into the goals essay or just mentioning it in the optional?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 20:35
Rhyme:

I don't know anything about pricing. Non-profit girl. We do it for free. But I will help you claim the education credits when you finally decide which offer to take. And if you promise to bring your now-famous butt plug collection, I could be persuaded.

Fantasies never hurt. That's why I am applying to Stanford.

Kisses
amy
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 20:37
I was thinking the "Mikey likes it too" line would go in the "why is this the right MBA for you" part.

But really, I do think the interview is better. It's a better venue for getting more personal (Rhyme, no comments). You can look around all wide-eyed and say, "Golly, Graham sure told me this place was great, but wow! We are both sold on the area, I tell you!"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1545 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 20:48
aaudetat wrote:
(Rhyme, no comments).


LOL, btw the Stanford quote is priceless. Nicely done.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2006
Posts: 248
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 12:03
I am debating over this issue also... does this sound like I am just reaching for more reasons?

I wrote:

"The city of Chicago is very similar to that of Toronto: a large metropolitan area with many top firms but without the added costs and pretentiousness of New York City. "

I don't know if I should use such a strong negative word in my essay but it is so true... what do u guys think?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 12:22
I would suggest keeping all comments positive. You can say that Chicago has an agreeable cost of living and down to earth people. They will know that you what you are getting at. Talking negatively about the competition can backfire.

Also, consider that in marketing, #1 almost never talks about #2; while #2 always tries to compare itself to #1. If you don't even mention NY, then Chicago will assume they are #1 to you. If you spend time bashing NY, then Chicago will think that they are second.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2006
Posts: 248
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 12:59
Excellent comments! Thanks, I really needed this. My brain doesn't want to work on essays anymore... can't wait to get this one finished!
  [#permalink] 09 Jan 2007, 12:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 23 students appeared for the Geography paper. What is the su desaichinmay22 2 11 Aug 2014, 00:26
1 Geography of offices ss87 4 25 May 2013, 02:28
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Early models of the geography of the metropolis were Bull78 9 06 Oct 2012, 14:29
Early models of the geography of the metropolis were goalsnr 5 30 Sep 2010, 07:07
1 Salary Comparison By Geography jb32 2 15 Feb 2009, 11:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

geography & essays?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.