Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Geologists once thought that the molten rock known as lava

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Geologists once thought that the molten rock known as lava [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 11:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:57) correct 43% (00:57) wrong based on 119 sessions
Geologists once thought that the molten rock known as lava was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting through volcanoes, but they now know that it is continuously created by the heat of the radioactivity deep inside the planet.

A. was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting
B.had been an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days and sporadically erupted
C.was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, which sporadically erupted
D.would be an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days that sporadically erupted
E.was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, having sporadically erupted
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1697 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Geologists once thought that the molten [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 22:11
Expert's post
A. was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting ------ seems good with the present participle modifying the molten rock / remnant

B.had been an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days and sporadically erupted --- using past participle for a phenomenon that still occurs is wrong.

C.was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, which sporadically erupted ---- earliest days, which sporadically erupted – pronoun touch rule error

D.would be an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days that sporadically erupted ---- that sporadically erupted – wrong modification

E. was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, having sporadically erupted ---- having sporadically erupted—may imply that the remnant has ceased to erupt these days.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper '15 (WL)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Geologists once thought that the molten [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 10:26
Please tell me what is wrong with my train of thought:

I thought B because the geologists "once thought". Therefore they once thought that something had been something previously...therefore need past perfect?

The reason I am having trouble formulating my thoughts is because of a gmatpill framework. The sentence was "I saw my mother struggling through the door but remembered that I had promised to help her". The sentence needed "had" because "remember" is a word that signals a partition in the tense. My explanation probably just butchered the actual reason but I'm just alt+tabbing at work and can't really bring up the video.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '15
GMAT 1: Q33 V27
GPA: 2.92
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 61

Re: Geologists once thought that the molten [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 11:36
Injuin wrote:

I thought B because the geologists "once thought". Therefore they once thought that something had been something previously...therefore need past perfect?

The reason I am having trouble formulating my thoughts is because of a gmatpill framework. The sentence was "I saw my mother struggling through the door but remembered that I had promised to help her". The sentence needed "had" because "remember" is a word that signals a partition in the tense. My explanation probably just butchered the actual reason but I'm just alt+tabbing at work and can't really bring up the video.

Just that the sentence happened to have once thought or some other word or phrase do not assume that it must be in a perfect tense. Understand the meaning and only when you find 2 actions that not inseperable and yet could not be put in a sequence, then alone use perfect tenses
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 23

Re: Geologists once thought that the molten [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 16:42
Only use past perfect when you need to distinguish 2 events that occurred in the past. Since we only have 1 event that occurred in the past, we do not need to use the past perfect form. Instead of past perfect, use simple past. Only use past perfect if it is absolutely necessary.
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Geologists once thought that the molten [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 11:19
Injuin wrote:

.......................X.......................Y : Let the entire number line be in PAST

So 2 events both in Past : 1. X and 2. Y

and X before Y

For such cases : 1. use past perfect with X , 2. Use simple past with Y

The question in discussion :

-------------------You promised ( X )------------you remembered ( Y ) : THE ENTIRE NUMBER LINE IS IN PAST

Now, X before Y

Thus use : 1.Past perfect with Promised ie HAD PROMISED , 2. Simple past with Remember ie REMEMBERED

Leading to the logical str : I remembered ( Simple Past - Later action ) That I had promised ( Past perfect- Previous action ) to help my mom

Eg ; .........revised tense chapter.............answered the post......... : all in Past

thus the str : I had reviewed (PP ) the tense chapter before I answered (SP) the post
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Geologists once thought that the molten rock known as lava [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 15:13
A. Sporadically erupting is in line with the present tense form ‘it is continuously created’

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

Re: Geologists once thought that the molten rock known as lava [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 19:52
sudi03 wrote:
Geologists once thought that the molten rock known as lava was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting through volcanoes, but they now know that it is continuously created by the heat of the radioactivity deep inside the planet.

A. was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting
B.had been an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days and sporadically erupted - use of had not required
C.was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, which sporadically erupted - which -> pronoun error
D.would be an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days that sporadically erupted -> wrong use of would + wrong use of that
E.was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, having sporadically erupted - it doesnt happen anymore

You want something, go get it . Period !

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 36

Re: Geologists once thought that the molten [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 21:56
daagh wrote:
A. was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting ------ seems good with the present participle modifying the molten rock / remnant

B.had been an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days and sporadically erupted --- using past participle for a phenomenon that still occurs is wrong.

C.was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, which sporadically erupted ---- [b]earliest days, which sporadically erupted – pronoun touch rule error [/b]

D.would be an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days that sporadically erupted ---- that sporadically erupted – wrong modification

E. was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, having sporadically erupted ---- having sporadically erupted—may imply that the remnant has ceased to erupt these days.

I hav a log time pending doubt.. Someone Pl clarify.. In option C, 'Which' is said to modify 'earliest days'.. But my understanding is that 'which' can also modify the noun of the preceding prepositional phrase.. In this case, 'which' can modify 'underground remnant'.. Is this way of modification correct.. Can 'which' modify the head of the prep phrase??
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

Re: Geologists once thought that the molten [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 22:40
friend29 wrote:
daagh wrote:

C.was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, which sporadically erupted ---- [b]earliest days, which sporadically erupted – pronoun touch rule error [/b]

I hav a log time pending doubt.. Someone Pl clarify.. In option C, 'Which' is said to modify 'earliest days'.. But my understanding is that 'which' can also modify the noun of the preceding prepositional phrase.. In this case, 'which' can modify 'underground remnant'.. Is this way of modification correct.. Can 'which' modify the head of the prep phrase??

which modifies the noun ( read subject ) just before the comma before it. Here the noun( subject is Earths' earliest days ), hence wrong use of which.

however, what you state can also be true.

You want something, go get it . Period !

Re: Geologists once thought that the molten   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2012, 22:40