Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Geometry trouble

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Geometry trouble [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 21:28
Hi-

I am having some trouble with geometry. In general, once I look at the solutions I realise I have made silly mistake. (I know it is a shame, particularly because I am from a Comp.sc background and was very good at Math in school). My main problem is that I tend to forget simple things like:
"If a squareis inscribed in a circle, then the length of each arc created by the square is equal".
simple things like these! I knew it as soon as I looked at the solution, but I was wondering if there is some place I can read and refresh all the geometry concepts for GMAT? Also, does anyone have experience with MGMAT Geometry guide?

I know, to get a good GMAT score, I will HAVE to do well on quant, and I can not afford to do average there. For this reason, I am looking for resources/suggestions on how to tackle this problem.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2006, 05:54
The best thing would be to search and learn the geometry basics from some websites. The stuff tested in GMAT is not very difficult but its about application:
1. May be a combination of geometry principles and algebra
2. OR finding a limiting case. For e.g, a rectangle with largest area that can be inscribed in a circle is a square.

I had a question on my test that required application of number properties to find multiple values of a variable (for eg size of a square) and reject one solution since it violated a boundary condition... you get the idea right.

So don't sweat too much on learning complex geometry properties. Focus on the application type questions. OG and GMATPrep have some good ones.

And the fact that you are a Comp. Sc Engineer doesn't necessarily mean you will get great Quant score without any effort. You need to get your hands dirty if you want to work in a field. I have found it the hard way. I am an Electrical Engineer and I always scored 90-100% in all of my math classes, somehow managed to get a 50 in Quant, but I still get stumped by some of the difficult DS and probability/combination/statistics questions posted here.

So put your Ego behiend and solve as may problems as you can. Pay special attention to the GMATPrep ones and more importantly work on your weaknesses.

Good luck!

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2006, 17:00
Thanks Giddi-

I appreciate the advice.

Just to be clear, I have no ego with working on Quant. The fact that I identified my weakness in Geometry says that I am not being over-confident here.

OG and GmatPrep are great for practice, but I wanted something to just revise my basic concepts. Any experience with MGMAT Geometry guide, or any other resources? There are TONS of resources on the Internet, but I do not find anything good specifically for gmat.

Thanks,
Walletless
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2006, 19:22
I just received my MGMAT geometry guide... I am using it to work on my basics. I feel that it was good as a central resource to brush up everything you might need on the GMAT and provide a way to classify the OG11 problems based on the area.

walletless wrote:
Thanks Giddi-

I appreciate the advice.

Just to be clear, I have no ego with working on Quant. The fact that I identified my weakness in Geometry says that I am not being over-confident here.

OG and GmatPrep are great for practice, but I wanted something to just revise my basic concepts. Any experience with MGMAT Geometry guide, or any other resources? There are TONS of resources on the Internet, but I do not find anything good specifically for gmat.

Thanks,
Walletless
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 03:22
haas_mba07 wrote:
I just received my MGMAT geometry guide... I am using it to work on my basics. I feel that it was good as a central resource to brush up everything you might need on the GMAT and provide a way to classify the OG11 problems based on the area.

walletless wrote:
Thanks Giddi-

I appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
Walletless

Thanks Haas- I am buying one :)
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 05:03
walletless wrote:

Dude, sorry if I sounded like an idiot. I definitely had an ego problem when I started GMAT prep and I thought that Quant would be a cakewalk for me, but that was not the case at all :-D

Here are a few Geometry links (The links posted below have way more information that you would need to tackle GMAT geometry problems.. just study the basics...)
http://regentsprep.org/Regents/mathb/5A1/CircleAngles.htm
http://www.saltire.com/applets/equangle/equangle.htm
http://library.thinkquest.org/20991/geo/index.html

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 08:14
giddi77 wrote:
walletless wrote:

Dude, sorry if I sounded like an idiot. I definitely had an ego problem when I started GMAT prep and I thought that Quant would be a cakewalk for me, but that was not the case at all :-D

Here are a few Geometry links (The links posted below have way more information that you would need to tackle GMAT geometry problems.. just study the basics...)
http://regentsprep.org/Regents/mathb/5A1/CircleAngles.htm
http://www.saltire.com/applets/equangle/equangle.htm
http://library.thinkquest.org/20991/geo/index.html

Awesome! Thanks giddi - these link look really helpful. I will go over them tonight :)
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2006, 22:18
try alos to get the Challenges I have heard a lot of good news on them I have not seen them yet, but seems they have boosted many peoples scores.....

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Geometry trouble [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 08:15
thanks gauss
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Geometry trouble [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 10:38
yes mgmat quant is superb...and detailed....Also you can read GC gmat math book.....superb forum

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: Geometry trouble   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2011, 10:38