Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 15:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

George Bernard Shaw wrote: " That any sane nation,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 309
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
George Bernard Shaw wrote: " That any sane nation, [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 12:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
3. George Bernard Shaw wrote: " That any sane nation, having observed that you could provide for the supply of bread by giving bakers a pecuniary interest in baking for you, should go on to give a surgeon a pecuniary interest in cutting off your leg is enough to make one despair of political humanity." Shaw's statement would best serve as an illustration in an argument criticizing which of the following?
(A) Dentists who perform unnecessary dental work in order to earn a profit
(B) Doctors who increase their profits by specializing only in diseases that affect a large percentage of the population
(C) Grocers who raise the price of food in order to increase their profit margins
(D) Oil companies that decrease the price of their oil in order to increase their market share
(E) Bakers and surgeons who earn a profit by supplying other peoples' basic needs
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 12:49
Hi,

This is a very interesting one.

I am not sure what the answer is but I would go for A. The reason is the argument is basically related to criticizing a profession. Basically I am trying to go for parallel the argument which satisfies with A.
The argument "To get more bread u try to increase the interests the baker has. For a surgeon you do so by cutting off your leg and giving surgeon more profit".

Here C,D is out of scope but it gives the hint for parallel the reasoning.

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,
Max.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 22
Schools: Emory Goizueta (Class of 2013)
WE 1: Management consultant
WE 2: Marketing consultant
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 19:53
I think E
According to Shaw, people's incentive is their own profit. E: "earn a profit by supplying others' needs"
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 07:38
A for me ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 452
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 07:56
IMO A)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 55
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 08:30
I choose A by using POE, but I don't have a clear explanation.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 658
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 15:18
A for me ...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 91
Schools: McCombs Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 15:19
I also though A was the correct answer.

What is the actual answer?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2008, 21:41
I will go for B.

GBS means its fine to pay baker for your needs, but paying sergeon for cutting off legs is a sign of despair, thus criticizing professions hat make money out of people hardship.

Shaw's statement would best serve as an illustration in an argument criticizing which of the following?
(A) Dentists who perform unnecessary dental work in order to earn a profit (there is no mention of unnecessary in argument.)
(B) Doctors who increase their profits by specializing only in diseases that affect a large percentage of the population (Makes sense)
(C) Grocers who raise the price of food in order to increase their profit margins (Price or "How" is out of scope)
(D) Oil companies that decrease the price of their oil in order to increase their market share (price again)
(E) Bakers and surgeons who earn a profit by supplying other peoples' basic needs (Does not criticize bakers)
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1436
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2008, 13:21
nishchals wrote:
I will go for B.

GBS means its fine to pay baker for your needs, but paying sergeon for cutting off legs is a sign of despair, thus criticizing professions hat make money out of people hardship.

Shaw's statement would best serve as an illustration in an argument criticizing which of the following?
(A) Dentists who perform unnecessary dental work in order to earn a profit (there is no mention of unnecessary in argument.)
(B) Doctors who increase their profits by specializing only in diseases that affect a large percentage of the population (Makes sense)
(C) Grocers who raise the price of food in order to increase their profit margins (Price or "How" is out of scope)
(D) Oil companies that decrease the price of their oil in order to increase their market share (price again)
(E) Bakers and surgeons who earn a profit by supplying other peoples' basic needs (Does not criticize bakers)



GBS is saying creating interest for surgeons by cutting of our legs is a sign of loss of hope of political humanity. Isn't it clearly unnecessary for the surgeons to cut off legs just because they need to make profits .

How can you say that " Doctors who increase their profits by specializing only in diseases that affect a large percentage of the population " are doing unnecessary things? It just that their motive is to make money but definitely not unnecessary.

Read this snip from http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=420273

George Bernard Shaw put it well. “That any sane nation, having observed that you could provide for the supply of bread by giving bakers a pecuniary interest in baking for you, should go on to give a surgeon a pecuniary interest in cutting off your leg, is enough to make one despair...”1 The problem, according to Shaw, was that the profit motive and doctors' entrepreneurialism create the wrong incentives for good medical practice.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2008
Posts: 210
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 01:07
What should be the OA for this one? thanks.
Re: CR , please explain   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2008, 01:07
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
George Bernard Shaw wrote: That any sane nation, having priyankur_saha@ml.com 0 22 Jun 2007, 13:18
George Bernard Shaw wrote: That any sane nation, having hellom3p 7 02 Mar 2006, 09:12
George Bernard Shaw wrote: That any sane nation, having rigger 7 09 Nov 2005, 10:26
George Bernard Shaw wrote: That any sane nation, having rahuluec 4 29 Oct 2005, 02:54
George Bernard Shaw wrote: That any sane nation, having rahulraao 18 19 Sep 2005, 18:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

George Bernard Shaw wrote: " That any sane nation,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.