Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 15:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

George Bernard Shaw wrote: " That any sane nation,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
George Bernard Shaw wrote: " That any sane nation, [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 12:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
3. George Bernard Shaw wrote: " That any sane nation, having observed that you could provide for the supply of bread by giving bakers a pecuniary interest in baking for you, should go on to give a surgeon a pecuniary interest in cutting off your leg is enough to make one despair of political humanity." Shaw's statement would best serve as an illustration in an argument criticizing which of the following?
(A) Dentists who perform unnecessary dental work in order to earn a profit
(B) Doctors who increase their profits by specializing only in diseases that affect a large percentage of the population
(C) Grocers who raise the price of food in order to increase their profit margins
(D) Oil companies that decrease the price of their oil in order to increase their market share
(E) Bakers and surgeons who earn a profit by supplying other peoples' basic needs
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 12:49
Hi,

This is a very interesting one.

I am not sure what the answer is but I would go for A. The reason is the argument is basically related to criticizing a profession. Basically I am trying to go for parallel the argument which satisfies with A.
The argument "To get more bread u try to increase the interests the baker has. For a surgeon you do so by cutting off your leg and giving surgeon more profit".

Here C,D is out of scope but it gives the hint for parallel the reasoning.

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,
Max.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Emory Goizueta (Class of 2013)
WE 1: Management consultant
WE 2: Marketing consultant

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 19:53
I think E
According to Shaw, people's incentive is their own profit. E: "earn a profit by supplying others' needs"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 07:38
A for me ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 07:56
IMO A)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 08:30
I choose A by using POE, but I don't have a clear explanation.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 15:18
A for me ...
Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 15:19
I also though A was the correct answer.

What is the actual answer?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2008, 21:41
I will go for B.

GBS means its fine to pay baker for your needs, but paying sergeon for cutting off legs is a sign of despair, thus criticizing professions hat make money out of people hardship.

Shaw's statement would best serve as an illustration in an argument criticizing which of the following?
(A) Dentists who perform unnecessary dental work in order to earn a profit (there is no mention of unnecessary in argument.)
(B) Doctors who increase their profits by specializing only in diseases that affect a large percentage of the population (Makes sense)
(C) Grocers who raise the price of food in order to increase their profit margins (Price or "How" is out of scope)
(D) Oil companies that decrease the price of their oil in order to increase their market share (price again)
(E) Bakers and surgeons who earn a profit by supplying other peoples' basic needs (Does not criticize bakers)
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2008, 13:21
nishchals wrote:
I will go for B.

GBS means its fine to pay baker for your needs, but paying sergeon for cutting off legs is a sign of despair, thus criticizing professions hat make money out of people hardship.

Shaw's statement would best serve as an illustration in an argument criticizing which of the following?
(A) Dentists who perform unnecessary dental work in order to earn a profit (there is no mention of unnecessary in argument.)
(B) Doctors who increase their profits by specializing only in diseases that affect a large percentage of the population (Makes sense)
(C) Grocers who raise the price of food in order to increase their profit margins (Price or "How" is out of scope)
(D) Oil companies that decrease the price of their oil in order to increase their market share (price again)
(E) Bakers and surgeons who earn a profit by supplying other peoples' basic needs (Does not criticize bakers)

GBS is saying creating interest for surgeons by cutting of our legs is a sign of loss of hope of political humanity. Isn't it clearly unnecessary for the surgeons to cut off legs just because they need to make profits .

How can you say that " Doctors who increase their profits by specializing only in diseases that affect a large percentage of the population " are doing unnecessary things? It just that their motive is to make money but definitely not unnecessary.

Read this snip from http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=420273

George Bernard Shaw put it well. “That any sane nation, having observed that you could provide for the supply of bread by giving bakers a pecuniary interest in baking for you, should go on to give a surgeon a pecuniary interest in cutting off your leg, is enough to make one despair...”1 The problem, according to Shaw, was that the profit motive and doctors' entrepreneurialism create the wrong incentives for good medical practice.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR , please explain [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 01:07
What should be the OA for this one? thanks.
Re: CR , please explain   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2008, 01:07