Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

George Bernard Shaw wrote: " That any sane nation,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
George Bernard Shaw wrote: " That any sane nation, [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 19:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (03:50) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 4 sessions
George Bernard Shaw wrote: " That any sane nation, having observed that you could provide for the supply of bread by giving bakers a pecuniary interest in baking for you, should go on to give a surgeon a pecuniary interest in cutting off your leg is enough to make one despair of political humanity."

Shaw's statement would best serve as an illustration in an argument criticizing which of the following?

A Dentists who perform unnecessary dental work in order to earn a profit
B Doctors who increase their profits by specializing only in diseases that affect a large percentage of the population
C Grocers who raise the price of food in order to increase their profit margins
D Oil companies that decrease the price of their oil in order to increase their market share
E Bakers and surgeons who earn a profit by supplying other peoples' basic needs
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR baker and surgeon [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 19:54
ssandeepan wrote:
George Bernard Shaw wrote: " That any sane nation, having observed that you could provide for the supply of bread by giving bakers a pecuniary interest in baking for you, should go on to give a surgeon a pecuniary interest in cutting off your leg is enough to make one despair of political humanity."

Shaw's statement would best serve as an illustration in an argument criticizing which of the following?

B Doctors who increase their profits by specializing only in diseases that affect a large percentage of the population
D Oil companies that decrease the price of their oil in order to increase their market share

ANS should be A>
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR baker and surgeon [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2008, 01:15
I will go for C.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: McCombs '14
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: CR baker and surgeon [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2008, 05:56
I say A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR baker and surgeon [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2008, 07:01
Another vote for A.

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: CR baker and surgeon [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2008, 11:05
A for me ... profits provide an incentive to do work
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR baker and surgeon [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 10:11
ssandeepan wrote:

Clearly E ,scope is bakers and surgeons ,they earn interests and profits providing peoples basic needs ,this is critisised!!

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR baker and surgeon [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 13:33
Searched all over the place for a good explanation of why A is correct, and E is incorrect... but could not find one. Anyone else want to give it a try?
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR baker and surgeon [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 17:52
On the first thought, i went 4 A but after reading again , I think E is a better choice. The author cites examples of Baker and a surgeon to criticize them as they r earning profits by supplying people's needs.
ssandeepan wrote:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR baker and surgeon [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 21:13
I would go for A. The question asks us to identify an illustration that critizes a statement, we should find an illustration that the statement attacks. I think A is the best.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR baker and surgeon [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2008, 05:57
This is one of the questions that makes me shake my head.

The assumption here is that:

1. you pay the baker because you want bread.
2. you pay the surgeon because you need to get your legs cut off (whatever the dang reason is)

For A) to be correct, you have to assume that the surgeon is cutting off your legs for an unnecessary reason. But what if want/need to cut off your legs? (cut it off because you've been injured in a war, cut it off so you can put on a prostetic leg, etc.).

The fact that we have to assume that cutting of your legs unnecessary is absolutely BS. There could be many reasons why the procedure is done, but the fact that we have to assume that it's good/bad it's nonsense.

............As I'm writing, I'm starting to realize why I'm wrong (how funny) - the assumptions I laid out before were MY assumptions, and not the author's. The author can have very different assumptions, however ridiculous they may be. Therefore, A) can be right - and the fact that he is critizing it, makes the answer even more correct.

E) would be the correct answer is MY assumptions were used.

It's funny how things become clearer when you start venting :yes
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR baker and surgeon [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2008, 06:03
Another A.

The logic here is that ... profits provide an incentive to do work (no matter if the work is worth/good or not) and A proves this point this putting clearly by syaing "unnecessary dental work "
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 15

Re: George Bernard Shaw wrote: " That any sane nation, [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 03:29
ssandeepan wrote:

I think A is the correct answer. The reason is that it is similar in construction to the original argument provided. What is the OA??
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14 (S)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: George Bernard Shaw wrote: " That any sane nation, [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 20:00
E: For people to earn profits by supplying other peoples basic needs does not make one despair of political humanity.

"should go on to give a surgeon a pecuniary interest in cutting off your leg" - From this statement, it sounds as if there's an unnecessary acts being performed for financial/personal gain.

Hence, I chose A.
Re: George Bernard Shaw wrote: " That any sane nation,   [#permalink] 05 May 2012, 20:00