Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 14:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

George Mason Vs John Hopkins

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

George Mason Vs John Hopkins [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2005, 10:55
Hi
Can you please let me know which of the schols between George Mason and John Hopkins is better for an MBA program in terms of ranking, content and value of the degree in the enterprise world.

Any pointers/links for such comparison is appreciated too.

Thanks much for ur time and help.

Thanks
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2005, 19:15
This question is somewhat difficult to answer because I cannot think of any ranking system that has included both schools.

As I recall, George Mason is more selective and is accredited by the AACSB. JHU, however, has purposely chosen not to be accredited by AACSB.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2005, 08:42
Hi Hjort
Thanks so much for ur reply. You always are around to provide answers to the questions from the community. Thanks much for the service.

Am from the mid-atlantic region(metro DC/MD/VA) . UMC is not a choice due to its cost. I have been trying to get info on a decent and affordable(for me) school in this area. From my own research , I have narrowed it down to Mason and Johns Hopkins(but am still open to others). But am not sure of the quality of the MBA program in each of the school and esp the perceived notion in the job market and in the enterprise world for both of these schools(and the degrees).

I met with an advisor of Johns Hopkins and ur are a right abt AASCB accredition. I started wondering how important is the factor of the accredition and if Mason is better in any way ? Am kinda lost.

I have a technical background and around 7-8 yrs of experience. I wud like to do an MBA to enhance my career.

Any further information on both of these schools(or any other schools in the area) will be of great help for me to decide.

Thanks again
KRS
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2005, 14:41
In the DC area, I would take a closer look at American and George Washington to see if they offer any discounts off the "list price." Virginia Tech and William & Mary are also good options, but I imagine they are too far away.

The JHU vs. GMU debate is interesting one. Johns Hopkins is certainly the better known university, but the MBA program is not well known and is not accredited by any of the major business accrediting agencies. Further, I am a bit concerned by the fact that the study of business is not on the same level as International Studies or Nursing which each have their own dedicated "school."
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2005, 07:55
GMU MBA dropout right here. I applied back in 2003 and got accepted to start in Jan 04. After one semeseter I decided not to throw my money away anymore. My main focus was on finding a decent p/t program so that I could continue with my regular f/t job. Unless your company is forking the bill, definitely look elsewhere. Or if you're interested in staying in the DC metro area and working for gov agencies or contractors, this would be a good match.

Most of my cohort were people that had been laid off or were doing the MBA simply because their company was paying for everything. Those that were employed were are all with gov contractors or agencies, so for someone like me that has no desire to be in that sector, networking was a moot point. I know the problem isn't with the school, I just didn't think things out too clearly before jumping in. The convenience just sucked me in.

My girlfriend however loves it and thinks it's a breeze. She'll be graduating this May thinks it was worth her time. Her agency foot the bill tho, so it's easier for her to feel that way.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2005, 21:36
Thanks to Gumbico for conveying this information about GMU.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2005, 18:33
well, that IS interesting re: JHU's lack of accreditation. I was looking hard at that school since they have the concentration I want and aren't $$$.

GMU seemed to me like a place to go when you just want a piece of paper.

my babbling: alexmba.blogspot.com
"Everybody needs money! That's why they call it money!" -- Mickey Bergman in "Heist"

[#permalink] 26 Apr 2005, 18:33