Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 22:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

George: The economics taught in college is very confusing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [2] , given: 149

GMAT Tests User
George: The economics taught in college is very confusing [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

17% (02:19) correct 83% (01:32) wrong based on 129 sessions
George: The economics taught in college is very confusing—and that’s because it’s all wrong.
Harold: If it’s all wrong, why is college economics still force-fed to students? George: It’s very difficult to learn something that’s all wrong, and if, by chance, someone does waste all that time and learn it, he or she will be inclined to defend it ferociously and pass it on to others.
Which one of the following, if true, would most directly challenge George’s reasoning?
(A) Many college graduates who have taken economics go on to successful careers in a variety of other fields.
(B) College students who major in economics tend to earn higher grades in economics than in their other subjects.
(C) “Right” and “wrong” are relative terms in the field of economics.
(D) Many economics professors agree with journal articles that strongly criticize college economics.
(E) Interviews five years after graduation show that economics majors are just as likely to say that their college experience was enjoyable as are those who did not major in economics.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Some Guys said C
Some said D

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 2

Re: Economics [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 07:17
George’s reasoning is that all the students protect the economics because they wasted a ton of time to learn it.
A. Out of scope.
B. Out of scope.
C. The words "right" and "wrong" are not relevant for challenging George’s reasoning.
D. The correct one. Professors that teach economics once studied it. Therefore, if they are supposed to protect it.
E. The comparison does not tell us anything.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Economics [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 07:46
George: The economics taught in college is very confusing—and that’s because it’s all wrong.
Harold: If it’s all wrong, why is college economics still force-fed to students?
George: It’s very difficult to learn something that’s all wrong, and if, by chance, someone does waste all that time and learn it, he or she will be inclined to defend it ferociously and pass it on to others.
According to Choice C , if right and wrong are relative terms , then whats wrong according to George may not be wrong according to the Professors .
So,
Georges claim that It’s very difficult to learn something that’s all wrong doesnt hold true here.So the Professors didnot have to spend a lot of time to learn Economics so they dont have any reason to force feed the students.
Isnt C correct ?

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 6

Re: Economics [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2011, 08:35
Answer should be D
George is saying that "who has learned economics will ferociously support it".
Option D refutes this by stating that "even the economics professors are strongly criticizing college economics". So it does challenge the Geroge's reasoning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Economics [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 17:36
D seems to support George’s argument, but the other choices are just so irrelevant it’s the only choice left.

If the college professors agree on the articles about college economics, then the students are less likely to adhere so fiercely to what they learned in college.

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Economics [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 21:30
The answer is D.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Economics [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 22:51
D seems to provide adequate support to challenge.

Good Luck!!!

***Help and be helped!!!****

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Economics [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 00:26
mundasingh123 wrote:
Harold: If it’s all wrong, why is college economics still force-fed to students? George: It’s very difficult to learn something that’s all wrong, and if, by chance, someone does waste all that time and learn it, he or she will be inclined to defend it ferociously and pass it on to others.

Which one of the following, if true, would most directly challenge George’s reasoning?

Conclusion - Economics taught is 'wrong'
People will defend it.

(A) Many college graduates who have taken economics go on to successful careers in a variety of other fields. Out of scope

(B) College students who major in economics tend to earn higher grades in economics than in their other subjects. Out of scope.
(C) “Right” and “wrong” are relative terms in the field of economics. -- Economics taught isn't Wrong anyway.

(D) Many economics professors agree with journal articles that strongly criticize college economics. --- Economics taught is 'Wrong' and the Proffs aren't defending it.

(E) Interviews five years after graduation show that economics majors are just as likely to say that their college experience was enjoyable as are those who did not major in economics. Out of Scope.

[[/spoiler]

IMO C, since D partially agrees with George's conclusion.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Economics [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 10:15
the answer should be "C" because of following reasons,
"D" states that Professors agree with college journal articles that strongly criticize college economics , which is a too broad choice, this choice states that the article criticize the college economics but it does not say that why & how?? reason might be due to lack of real world economics exposure or due to teaching outdated curriculum etc.

Now let's see why "C" is a correct choice,
"C" states that “Right” and “wrong” are relative terms in the field of economics. thus "Right" & "Wrong" are not absolute terms in the field of economics.
For example if you were raised to believe that cows are sacred, yet in many part of the world the cows are food.Thus cow eating at one place would be "wrong" & cow eating at another place would be "Right"
In short it can't be answered simply by saying right/wrong!!

Hope this helps...
mundasingh123 wrote:
(A) Many college graduates who have taken economics go on to successful careers in a variety of other fields.
(B) College students who major in economics tend to earn higher grades in economics than in their other subjects.
(C) “Right” and “wrong” are relative terms in the field of economics.
(D) Many economics professors agree with journal articles that strongly criticize college economics.
(E) Interviews five years after graduation show that economics majors are just as likely to say that their college experience was enjoyable as are those who did not major in economics.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Some Guys said C
Some said D

We are twice armed if we fight with faith.

He who knows when he can fight & when He can't will be victorious.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Economics [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 04:06
Answer is D as the question asks what challenges George's reasoning?? Here George's reasoning is that people who study economics defend it strongly. Hence option D clearly refutes this line of George's reasoning saying that highly educated Economics Profs also agree to criticisms of economics.

How does Option C refute George's reasoning??
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Economics [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 12:58
ctkrishnan the conclusion made by George is Economics is "wrong" & he argues to prove his conclusion
Now choice "D" says that professors agree with the college economics criticism but it doesn't elaborate the criticism is about what? see my reply above..
ctkrishnan wrote:
Answer is D as the question asks what challenges George's reasoning?? Here George's reasoning is that people who study economics defend it strongly. Hence option D clearly refutes this line of George's reasoning saying that highly educated Economics Profs also agree to criticisms of economics.

We are twice armed if we fight with faith.

He who knows when he can fight & when He can't will be victorious.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Economics [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 18:19
vijayahir wrote:
ctkrishnan the conclusion made by George is Economics is "wrong" & he argues to prove his conclusion
Now choice "D" says that professors agree with the college economics criticism but it doesn't elaborate the criticism is about what? see my reply above..
ctkrishnan wrote:

@vijayahir... Agreed that option D does not elaborate on criticism and just tells that profs accept criticism. Isn't that enough to prove that ppl who have learned economics don't defend economics as stated by George...

I guess the main problem here is what according to stimulus is the reasoning of George?? Is it Economics is wrong or ppl who have learned economics defending it?

I think Economics is wrong is the premise on which George builds his reasoning that because economics is wrong many learned people defend economics.. and this is proven wrong by Option D.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 26

Re: Economics [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 21:29
IMO the line of reasoning runs like this "economics is wrong and ppl who learn it will defend it" . to refute this you can either contradict the first part that says economics is wrong or the second part that says ppl will defend.

i wud personally prefer the second one because that is where the "reasoning" comes into play.

i think D is sufficient to say not all ppl defend it. there is no need to know how or why or what. if professors agree with criticism, enough said, they are not trying to defend. there is evidence to contrary what george said.

C is saying “Right” and “wrong” are relative terms in the field of economics. so what? the key here is "field of economics", not in real world,where george is arguing. if he is arguing about a concept in economics, we can say what is wrong to george might be right to someone else because it is an economical concept and in economics right and wrong are relative. but he is saying the subject as a whole is trash. you cant say this actually "refutes" george's reasoning. refuting IMO should contradict the reasoning. this is like saying george's reasoning may be right for some and wrong for others.

this time, we play for keeps

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Economics [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 23:09
Confused betweend C and D.
What is OA??

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Economics [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 09:39
D seems to support george's conclusion. C remains.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: George: The economics taught in college is very confusing [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 12:22
what is OA, please provide explanation also. I thought it was C.

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Re: George: The economics taught in college is very confusing [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 14:04
Is this question murky enough for me to guess D between c,d,e or i should have concluded to d instead of guessing?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 14

Re: George: The economics taught in college is very confusing [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 16:06
I also thought it was C when i first did this question. Then when I re-read it, I understood D better. I now feel D is the right answer...

C directly attacks the conclusion (which is not the right way to do it). D attacks the reasoning by citing an instance which is not as per the premise
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 20

Re: George: The economics taught in college is very confusing [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 16:04
Though contrary to everyone's opinion, my answer is E.

As per George's reasoning, students learnt Economics because they were forced. But E says, they enjoyed their college time. So, E seems to be correct.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: George: The economics taught in college is very confusing [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 19:53
Whats the OA guys?

IMO is E

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Re: George: The economics taught in college is very confusing   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2012, 19:53