Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 08:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

George: The economics taught in college is very confusing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
George: The economics taught in college is very confusing [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 06:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

31% (02:13) correct 69% (01:32) wrong based on 11 sessions
George: The economics taught in college is very confusing—and that’s because it’s all wrong.
Harold: If it’s all wrong, why is college economics still force-fed to students? George: It’s very difficult to learn something that’s all wrong, and if, by chance, someone does waste all that time and learn it, he or she will be inclined to defend it ferociously and pass it on to others.
Which one of the following, if true, would most directly challenge George’s reasoning?
(A) Many college graduates who have taken economics go on to successful careers in a variety of other fields.
(B) College students who major in economics tend to earn higher grades in economics than in their other subjects.
(C) “Right” and “wrong” are relative terms in the field of economics.
(D) Many economics professors agree with journal articles that strongly criticize college economics.
(E) Interviews five years after graduation show that economics majors are just as likely to say that their college experience was enjoyable as are those who did not major in economics.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT:George-Harold: Gud One.. [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 07:32
nverma wrote:
George: The economics taught in college is very confusing—and that’s because it’s all wrong.
Harold: If it’s all wrong, why is college economics still force-fed to students? George: It’s very difficult to learn something that’s all wrong, and if, by chance, someone does waste all that time and learn it, he or she will be inclined to defend it ferociously and pass it on to others.
Which one of the following, if true, would most directly challenge George’s reasoning?
(A) Many college graduates who have taken economics go on to successful careers in a variety of other fields.
(B) College students who major in economics tend to earn higher grades in economics than in their other subjects.
(D) Many economics professors agree with journal articles that strongly criticize college economics.
(E) Interviews five years after graduation show that economics majors are just as likely to say that their college experience was enjoyable as are those who did not major in economics.

Either of A or C.
All other choices seems irelevant or incorrect.
I would go with A, as it says there are many people who makes career in some other field than economics.
Whats the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT:George-Harold: Gud One.. [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 10:32
nverma wrote:

I would go with C ..... other choices dont challenge George's reasoning ....this one doesnt strongly challenge his reasoning ..but its not that bad compared to the rest
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT:George-Harold: Gud One.. [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 10:54
ok on second thoughts ....im gonna go with D ...

I just noticed that George said a lot of things ...one of which was "he or she will be inclined to defend it ferociously and pass it on to others." ....so to negate that ....we should pick D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: LSAT:George-Harold: Gud One.. [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 08:43
my pick is (D)

George: It’s very difficult to learn something that’s all wrong, and if, by chance, someone does waste all that time and learn it, he or she will be inclined to defend it ferociously and pass it on to others.

(D) Many economics professors agree with journal articles that strongly criticize college economics. - this statement challenges George’s reasoning
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT:George-Harold: Gud One.. [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 04:37
C for me. George's reasoning revolves around 'wrong economics'. If 'wrong' turns out to 'right' then his reasoning becomes completely invalid.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT:George-Harold: Gud One.. [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 16:34
nverma wrote:

here we would have to concetrate on the wordsof goerge " inclined to defend it ferociously " only option D challenge that and says that collage professors do not defend it but support it.hence D is the right answer.
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT:George-Harold: Gud One.. [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 00:04
my bad. C is a trap.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT:George-Harold: Gud One.. [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 00:15
I fell for C as well.
D appears strengthening the argument first, but it actually weakens. It contradicts the conclusion that people who learned economics would defend it. So, D should be the right answer.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT:George-Harold: Gud One.. [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 03:04
thats why it is very important to read and elicit the conclusion very carefully. defend is the key word in the conclusion here, but the professors are in fact attacking.

good question

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT:George-Harold: Gud One.. [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 00:32
nothing except D clearly crashes George's conclusion of defending ferociously and passing it onto the others.

D it is.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: LSAT:George-Harold: Gud One.. [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 04:51
no E here? what is OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: LSAT:George-Harold: Gud One.. [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 06:30
Going with D. "someone does waste all that time and learn it, he or she will be inclined to defend it ferociously and pass it on to others." Geroge's reasoning is challenged by econ profs themselves criticizing the field.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT:George-Harold: Gud One.. [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 17:33
I'll support D. It is an example that contradicts George's second statement since "Many economics professors" agree with criticism instead of defending college economics.

C could undermine the argument but it could also support it if "wrong" turns out to be "wrong".

Sent from my Slapchop

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 922 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT:George-Harold: Gud One.. [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 01:45
nverma wrote:

D- Economic professors must have studied all wrong college economics and yet not defending it. On the contrary, they are disapproving it.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: George: The economics taught in college is very confusing [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 21:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: George: The economics taught in college is very confusing   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2014, 21:59