Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

George Washington dedicated his life to the economic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
George Washington dedicated his life to the economic [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 19:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
38. George Washington dedicated his life to the economic strengthening of the south with improvement of soil and diversification of corps.

A. the economic strengthening of the south with improvement of soil and diversification of corps.
B. strengthening the economy in the south with soil improvement and diversification of corps.
C. the strengthening the economy of the south through soil improvement and crop diversification.
D. the strengthening of the economy of the south through improving soil and crop diversifying
E. the economic strengthening in the south with improving soil and diversifying corp.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 19:44
Quote:
George Washington dedicated his life to the economic strengthening of the south with improvement of soil and diversification of corps.
A. the economic strengthening of the south with improvement of soil and diversification of corps.
B. strengthening the economy in the south with soil improvement and diversification of corps.
C. the strengthening the economy of the south through soil improvement and crop diversification.
D. the strengthening of the economy of the south through improving soil and crop diversifying
E. the economic strengthening in the south with improving soil and diversifying corp.

Eliminate D and E - diversifying is wrong.
C - Wrong - dedicated his life to the strengthening the . Two 'the' makes the sentence clumsy.
I am now confused between A and B.
A - improvement of soil, diversification of crops looks parallel. But, the economic strengthening looks clumsy.

I will go with B.

Many people dream, but some wake up and work towards it.

Last edited by Leopard on 15 May 2008, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 19:45
sondenso wrote:
38. George Washington dedicated his life to the economic strengthening of the south with improvement of soil and diversification of corps.

economic modify strengthening does not logically make sense. It should be strengthening modify economy; therefore, eliminate A and E.
B is wrong you need 'the' here because after to it should be the verb original form.
C and D are hard to tell. In C, soil improvement and crop diversification seems parallel, but it is missing the of.
In D, improving soil and crop diversifying does not seem parallel, but it does have the of.

I guess I will go with C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 20:19
eileen1017 wrote:
sondenso wrote:

economic modify strengthening does not logically make sense. It should be strengthening modify economy; therefore, eliminate A and E.
B is wrong you need 'the' here because after to it should be the verb original form.
C and D are hard to tell. In C, soil improvement and crop diversification seems parallel, but it is missing the of.
In D, improving soil and crop diversifying does not seem parallel, but it does have the of.

I guess I will go with C.

agree with eileen
soil improvement and crop diversification is correct in C
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 20:40
I think it is B.

Dedicated his life to strengthening the economy of the south.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 20:53
Will go with D. A gerund is required. through sounds better than with
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 20:57
Answer should be B
as dedicated his life to must be followed by a nouns phrase and strengthning the economy in south is that phrase .
SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 21:21
I must many time admit that Gmatprep is too tricky! GMAC expertise in decieving us if we have "the sound best" reasoning!

I think GMAT writers go out to every corner of the world, understanding every culture of that "corners", hearing every mistaken words the native can make. They insert all into the Gmat test. You will fall in the trap! Ofcourse, me too!

A few choose the corect choice!

Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 21:25
sondenso wrote:
I must many time admit that Gmatprep is too tricky! GMAC expertise in decieving us if we have "the sound best" reasoning!

I think GMAT writers go out to every corner of the world, understanding every culture of that "corners", hearing every mistaken words the native can make. They insert all into the Gmat test. You will fall in the trap! Ofcourse, me too!

What is OA? plz? :lol:
SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 23:45
billyjeans wrote:
sondenso wrote:

What is OA? plz? :lol:

OA is C :-D

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 04:03
Isn't an "of" missing in option C or is it alright?
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 05:49
Testing Altered intent and Parallelism
A & E : 'economic strengthening' & 'strengthening the economy' have different meanings.
'economic strengthening' means inexpensive strengthening which is not the intended meaning here.
B - 'soil improvement' not parallel to 'diversification of crops'.
( It should have been 'soil improvement' and 'crop diversification')
D - 'improving soil' not parallel to 'crop diversifying'
( It should have been ' improving soil and diversifying crops')
C - Wins.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 05:58
Its a straight C for the usage of "through". The usage of with is confusing in A cos with implies that George washington is doing both of these things whereas I think the intent of the author is to show the relationship between both the things GW is doing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 07:11
sondenso wrote:

A D and E are out for obvious reasons...

Now between B and C, B needs 'the' besided I did not like the use of 'in' over 'of'.

Yeah C. Good question though. Wonder what is the source?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 07:17
There's a typo in C in this thread. The original question doesn't have "the" in the beginning of C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 11:08
Thanks for pointing that out. It makes a huge difference now to know that the word "the" at the beginning of the sentence shouldn't be there. It was a key factor in swaying the reader to pick the other best/closest choice B.

If not for that "the" I would have picked C. Those who managed to do it already, Kudos to you for picking the right choice inspite of the minor error.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. George Washington [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 16:51
I chose B.
If only C did not have the typo in the beginning.. :shock:
SVP
SVP