Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Georgetown

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Consulting - 4 years
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Georgetown [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 03:51
Hi,

I am waiting on the decision from 1 more school, but right now I need to make a decision to goto Georgetown or not go at all.

A little bit about me:

gpa: 3.3 engineering top 10 program
gmat: 710
work experience: analytics consulting/process consultant at a vault consulting top 15 company for 4 years.

my results this year: wharton/kellogg/tuck: ding. cornell: waitlist. georgetown: in with no scholarship.

I want to break into finance/investment banking, should i wait and apply next year or is georgetown enough to get me there?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Georgetown [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 18:32
Expert's post
Georgetown can prepare you well for finance and IB, but is not one of the "go to" schools for bulge bracking bank recruiters. This does not mean you cannot get a job or internship, however, just that you might need to be more assertive in your job search. Certainly the key will be to land an internship, since most of the full time MBA hires for these firms come from their summer ranks. I worked for Goldman Sachs after b-school after doing my summer with them, and I had a GS colleague from University of Tennessee! He was very persistent in his job search. You don't even need to wait until schools starts to begin making contacts and reaching out to your target banks. in the end, IB wants dedicated, really smart finance whizzes, so if you nail your finance classes and stay dedicated, you can land the job of choice. If you decide to wait, I would at least get a deferral agreement from G'town, so at least you'd have the option to go there next year if you needed to.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Georgetown [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 19:03
bryant nailed it!
If you can wait a year do it....with those stats and a revamped application you should be able to do better than gtown....and therefore better position yourself for IB

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Georgetown [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 21:59
Hi

If you are looking at making a big splash in IB, would suggest you wait this out. See what comes of your waitlists and defer your Georgetown admit for next year.

Good luck

The Apphelp Global Team
www.apphelp.us

Apphelp Global

Visit us at: http://www.apphelp.us
Email: info@apphelp.us
Phone: +1 415 800 3436

Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Georgetown [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 16:16
Expert's post
Hi nycfan,

I agree with the above posts, but I also encourage you to talk to the career center at Georgetown about companies that do recruit from the business school. They'll be very upfront, honest, and open with you. You never know; there may be a number of investment banks (perhaps not bulge bracket) that you would be interested in joining post-graduation.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Re: Georgetown   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2011, 16:16