Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink]
anon321 wrote:
Can someone who has interviewed confirm whether these interviews are blind? Or, will the interviewer have read my application/resume?

(I'm assuming the policy would be the same for face-to-face and Skype interviews.)

Blind.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
I got a couple of emails from admission committee and they asked some more questions about my career gap. I don't know whether it is a good sign or not. I will keep my fingers crossed for the final result on Mar, 15.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
holdieliel wrote:
I got a couple of emails from admission committee and they asked some more questions about my career gap. I don't know whether it is a good sign or not. I will keep my fingers crossed for the final result on Mar, 15.

I wouldn't worry about it. If they had doubts they would reject you without asking, so they want to give you the benefit for clarification.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
chains1910 wrote:
Yea I agree, it means they're interested enough to ask. By the way when visiting for my interview I was really impressed with their facility. That is a sick building.

I got a similar e-mail (regarding something else), and I don't want to read too much into it but I also think it's because they're at least looking at my application very seriously. (which is great because I bombed the interview) I like the building too, you can see everything from everywhere and even the Washington Monument!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Real Estate
GPA: 3.2
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
Does anyone have any information regarding chances of admission off of the waitlist? Has anyone ever met someone admitted off of the waitlist and if so what was the timeline of the process? Any information would be helpful?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V43
GPA: 3.3
WE:Sales (Real Estate)
Send PM
jxcho wrote:
chains1910 wrote:
Yea I agree, it means they're interested enough to ask. By the way when visiting for my interview I was really impressed with their facility. That is a sick building.

I got a similar e-mail (regarding something else), and I don't want to read too much into it but I also think it's because they're at least looking at my application very seriously. (which is great because I bombed the interview) I like the building too, you can see everything from everywhere and even the Washington Monument!

On Wednesday I got an e-mail asking me to clarify something about the work experience. They said that the work information I provided was contradictory. I almost had a heart attack. When I checked back on my application, I saw that it was all correct. I e-mailed them back explaining my work experience. It felt odd because I didn't know how to tell them "I was never wrong. You are wrong". I updated my resume to include my first two jobs, which were previously not included, and sent the updated version. They thanked me for clearing that up and sending the updated resume.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
afdelag wrote:
jxcho wrote:
chains1910 wrote:

On Wednesday I got an e-mail asking me to clarify something about the work experience. They said that the work information I provided was contradictory. I almost had a heart attack. When I checked back on my application, I saw that it was all correct. I e-mailed them back explaining my work experience. It felt odd because I didn't know how to tell them "I was never wrong. You are wrong". I updated my resume to include my first two jobs, which were previously not included, and sent the updated version. They thanked me for clearing that up and sending the updated resume.

Hahah -- yeah, I got a very similar email!

They told me the jobs on my resume didn't have date indicators, specifically calling out that there were no months or years. While it's true that I didn't have months (I used seasonal indicators instead, on purpose, which gives a fair approximation and follows the format of other top B-schools), I definitely had years in my submitted resume. I updated accordingly and just said that I added in months in place of seasons (so as not to "admit" that my resume format was inherently incorrect).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
joabel wrote:
Does anyone have any information regarding chances of admission off of the waitlist? Has anyone ever met someone admitted off of the waitlist and if so what was the timeline of the process? Any information would be helpful?

Georgetown has only a 36% yield, so I'd say you have a decent shot at getting admitted off the waitlist.

Can't speak for G-Town, but my friend was admitted off the WL at CBS a couple of years ago. She sent them updates on her post-application promotion and additional extracurricular developmental activities she'd been engaged in to demonstrate high interest in the program. Never hurts to strategically sneak in there that you would definitely attend if extended an offer (if that statement is genuine and in the proper context of the outreach).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AtaQuye wrote:
Georgetown has only a 36% yield, so I'd say you have a decent shot at getting admitted off the waitlist.

Ouch, I knew they had low yield but that's really low! McDonough seems to be like a catch-all safety school in the NE/Mid-Atlantic region because of their name and location. I met only a few people whose first choice was Georgetown, they seem to mainly sweep up those who slip between the cracks at the likes of Fuqua, Ross and Darden.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jxcho wrote:
AtaQuye wrote:

Ouch, I knew they had low yield but that's really low! McDonough seems to be like a catch-all safety school in the NE/Mid-Atlantic region because of their name and location. I met only a few people whose first choice was Georgetown, they seem to mainly sweep up those who slip between the cracks at the likes of Fuqua, Ross and Darden.

That is pretty low. What is the yield rate at its peer schools?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:

Businessweek shows 41% at Marshall and 51% at Owen... Kelley, Kenan-Flagler and McCombs are all in the 40s as well.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Project Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
jxcho wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:

Businessweek shows 41% at Marshall and 51% at Owen... Kelley, Kenan-Flagler and McCombs are all in the 40s as well.

Vanderbilt and Indiana are smaller schools and the number of applicants are fewer as well. McCombs, UNC, Marshall and McDonough are very comparable with their class sizes and the number of applicants. Since they're all in the same ball park ranking wise, cost of attending might be a factor. UNC n McCombs are cheaper to attend(both tuition and living). Other than that the lower yield is surprising to me because all 4 schools are very strong regionally, have very similar recruitment stats and solid alumni networks. (I guess there's more top 16 schools in the N.E than anywhere else so Georgetown probably loses a bulk of its admits to them)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT Date: 04-13-2012
Send PM
chains1910 wrote:
jxcho wrote:
afdelag wrote:
From all the research I've done, I believe top 15 schools are looked better at than Georgetown. People at GTown have to chase recruiters down to get interviews. However, all of the people I know at Gtown have managed to get good internships. They are really happy with the program. Its location makes it easy to get the interview you want. Also, Gtown has a new dean in town. He is set on having Gtown climb through the rankings.

I think this hits the nail on the head. McDonough doesn't have a big name in the business world right now but they have new facilities and a new curriculum which everyone is very excited about. The location is fantastic (in the heart of DC but not truly urban like NYU or GWU) and with a brand like Georgetown, they have the potential to break into the top 20 or 15 in the future. It's a good time to be applying to McDonough... I can foresee it only getting more competitive in the future as their new school direction gains traction.

Yea spot on. Everyone I talk to there raves about the school and the career services, but I've also heard that it can be tough to get into the top of the top firms in some industries. In consulting for instance, I have a friend who is a 2Y there who wanted McKinsey, but had a tough time getting attention from recruiters, while by comparison McKinsey hires 40-50 students from the Columbias and Kelloggs of the world each year. Nonetheless this friend ended up with a sweet gig at Deloitte, probably for more money than he would make at McKinsey, which speaks to the strength of the program.

Thanks everyone for the responses. What you say makes sense. Seems like Georgetown will lead me to any door, but maybe I have to nudge it a bit on my own to get it to open. I'm feeling more and more positive about the program and will probably be there in the fall. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
In my research, the program is very solid by all accounts -- everything from the professors to the students down to the building facilities have all been commented on favorably. As someone who lives in DC, the only knock I've heard is that you stand the risk of getting labeled as a "beltway guy," meaning that people will stereotype you as being primarily interested in poli-sci/gov oriented work. This isn't so much the school's fault as it is the stigma of the city. As you can imagine, DC is not a huge hub for private industry (beyond government-specific consulting). Thus, if you are looking for jobs in finance, marketing, or non-government consulting, you will need to work a bit harder in the recruiting process, particularly if you are looking to work outside of the DMV area.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
chains1910 wrote:
jxcho wrote:
afdelag wrote:
From all the research I've done, I believe top 15 schools are looked better at than Georgetown. People at GTown have to chase recruiters down to get interviews. However, all of the people I know at Gtown have managed to get good internships. They are really happy with the program. Its location makes it easy to get the interview you want. Also, Gtown has a new dean in town. He is set on having Gtown climb through the rankings.

I think this hits the nail on the head. McDonough doesn't have a big name in the business world right now but they have new facilities and a new curriculum which everyone is very excited about. The location is fantastic (in the heart of DC but not truly urban like NYU or GWU) and with a brand like Georgetown, they have the potential to break into the top 20 or 15 in the future. It's a good time to be applying to McDonough... I can foresee it only getting more competitive in the future as their new school direction gains traction.

Yea spot on. Everyone I talk to there raves about the school and the career services, but I've also heard that it can be tough to get into the top of the top firms in some industries. In consulting for instance, I have a friend who is a 2Y there who wanted McKinsey, but had a tough time getting attention from recruiters, while by comparison McKinsey hires 40-50 students from the Columbias and Kelloggs of the world each year. Nonetheless this friend ended up with a sweet gig at Deloitte, probably for more money than he would make at McKinsey, which speaks to the strength of the program.

What's consulting recruiting like at MSB? MBB will be tough, but what about firms like Deloitte? Do you have to network like crazy, are there only a few spots for MSB students?

Deloitte seems to swallow up Fuqua students, dunno about other schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT Date: 04-13-2012
Send PM
Yea spot on. Everyone I talk to there raves about the school and the career services, but I've also heard that it can be tough to get into the top of the top firms in some industries. In consulting for instance, I have a friend who is a 2Y there who wanted McKinsey, but had a tough time getting attention from recruiters, while by comparison McKinsey hires 40-50 students from the Columbias and Kelloggs of the world each year. Nonetheless this friend ended up with a sweet gig at Deloitte, probably for more money than he would make at McKinsey, which speaks to the strength of the program.[/quote]

What's consulting recruiting like at MSB? MBB will be tough, but what about firms like Deloitte? Do you have to network like crazy, are there only a few spots for MSB students?

Deloitte seems to swallow up Fuqua students, dunno about other schools.[/quote]

I don't know about recruiting, but here's a copy of the employment profile I found. It doesn't go into detail about the number of hires, but has some overall consulting numbers and companies.
Attachments

M12+Employment+Profile+FINAL.pdf [395.85 KiB]
Downloaded 139 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:
jxcho wrote:
afdelag wrote:

Deloitte seems to swallow up Fuqua students, dunno about other schools.

I believe Georgetown is a big feeder for Deloitte's Federal Consulting department. Makes sense given the location. Lucrative field too and very cool if you're interested in the public sector (unfortunately I'm not haha).
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts