Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 17:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 23

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 15:13
This post received
KUDOS
adimaniac wrote:
Hi,
I am international and have received an invite for a f2f interview.
The deal is, the city where they are conducting the interview is over 1000 miles away from my place.
My question is - is it worth travelling and spending so much for a 30 min facetime? Or will it be ok if I request for a skype interview instead?

Thanks

I'm not sure about McDonough but many schools seem to put a bit of weight on you putting the effort to come see them in person during the admissions process. I also live over 1000 miles from the closest interview city to me (SF) but I'll be flying out to DC to do a campus visit/interview. If you're not sure about McDonough it could be worth it if you throw a campus visit in there with the interview.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: MBA Student at Georgetown McDonough School of Business
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 21:51
This post received
KUDOS
Im an Indian. I got an interview invite too.
Profile: GMAT 740, Electrical Engineer, Male, WE: 3.5 years in heavy engineering.
I have scheduled my interview on 2nd Feb in New Delhi.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 21:07
This post received
KUDOS
I'm booked for Feb 5th interview in LA and Feb 6th campus visit in DC. Seeing as all my other schools have been silent so far, it's looking more and more like I'll be heading to McDonough next year so I thought it'd be worth the visit. Good luck everyone in your interviews!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 2.53

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 5

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
ian1Q84 wrote:
GenericUsername wrote:
jerembo wrote:
I was invited to interview. Can anyone who's already interviewed please share their experiences?

I was interviewed by an admission committee member and a there was a a student observer in the room with us. A few questions I was asked was. 1) What are a few companies you are targeting? 2) How are you planning to leverage your experience to gain an internship? 3)Share a time when you were an effective leader. The interview went by pretty quickly. I actually wish it could have been longer.

Good luck!

Hi

Does anyone knows GT's interview policy? From the above question, looks like they are conducting an non-blind interview since the interviewer is quite familiar with your career goal and more concerned about how could applicants leverage their strength?

Thanks for answering!

It was a blind interview. My interviewer did not read my application and only saw the resume I brought for her. She just happen to ask me specific questions about my career goals. I also got the typical questions such as why MBA, why Georgetown, tell me about your experience as a leader/teammate, etc.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 556

Kudos [?]: 1858 [1] , given: 645

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 23:50
This post received
KUDOS
timbo0205 wrote:
For what it's worth I've heard MBB-type consulting firms are picking up their OCR at Gtown. Hope that helps.

I visited McDonough last week and the impression I got was that it's a school on the way up. I saw people getting internships and f/t gigs at Deloitte and a couple of other consulting firms but I didn't meet anyone who got into a white shoe firm. I think a few McDonough grads got into BCG last year though, which is not bad for a school of its size and ranking. The DC location and the Georgetown name is pretty powerful.

I also interviewed at the rooftop restaurant in LA and to be honest struggled a bit too. I started off okay with the small talk but when it came down to it I froze up a little... it was my first admissions interview though so I'm sure I'll do better at Kelley this week. In retrospect the questions weren't too hard (my questions were about teamwork, cultural diversity and leadership) but for some reason my brain wasn't cooperating at the time.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V43
GPA: 3.3
WE: Sales (Real Estate)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 25

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 15:15
This post received
KUDOS
Interviewed yesterday, 2/12

Questions asked:

Short/Long term goals
Why MBA
Why GT
Tell me a time when you have received constructive interview
Where do you plan to apply for an internship?
What do you believe your strenghts/weaknesses are for applying to the internship?

The experience was awesome. I hope I get in!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
RoyHalladay wrote:
holdieliel wrote:
I got a couple of emails from admission committee and they asked some more questions about my career gap. I don't know whether it is a good sign or not. I will keep my fingers crossed for the final result on Mar, 15.

I wouldn't worry about it. If they had doubts they would reject you without asking, so they want to give you the benefit for clarification.

Yea I agree, it means they're interested enough to ask. By the way when visiting for my interview I was really impressed with their facility. That is a sick building.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
jxcho wrote:
afdelag wrote:
From all the research I've done, I believe top 15 schools are looked better at than Georgetown. People at GTown have to chase recruiters down to get interviews. However, all of the people I know at Gtown have managed to get good internships. They are really happy with the program. Its location makes it easy to get the interview you want. Also, Gtown has a new dean in town. He is set on having Gtown climb through the rankings.

I think this hits the nail on the head. McDonough doesn't have a big name in the business world right now but they have new facilities and a new curriculum which everyone is very excited about. The location is fantastic (in the heart of DC but not truly urban like NYU or GWU) and with a brand like Georgetown, they have the potential to break into the top 20 or 15 in the future. It's a good time to be applying to McDonough... I can foresee it only getting more competitive in the future as their new school direction gains traction.

Yea spot on. Everyone I talk to there raves about the school and the career services, but I've also heard that it can be tough to get into the top of the top firms in some industries. In consulting for instance, I have a friend who is a 2Y there who wanted McKinsey, but had a tough time getting attention from recruiters, while by comparison McKinsey hires 40-50 students from the Columbias and Kelloggs of the world each year. Nonetheless this friend ended up with a sweet gig at Deloitte, probably for more money than he would make at McKinsey, which speaks to the strength of the program.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
1 more week left! Hope it goes by fast!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
Coyote77 wrote:
MSB or McCombs:

**really looking forward to any current students responses**

My goal is to land a top consulting or i-banking job. I know they are two different paths, but my goal is to see a lot of companies post-graduation. I think I-banking is more that route - but I am an attorney, so I think consulting firms might be attracted to that. I know that here in Texas - that one or two years of consulting or i-banking in NYC opens up every job in the world in Texas finance. thoughts?

Not a current student, but I looked heavily into both schools, so my two cents it's that it's all about where you want to be. The vibe I got from visiting McCombs, talking to students, and talking to others I know living/working in Texas, is that if you want to stay in Texas, and particularly if you want to work in finance in the energy sector, then a McCombs MBA is gold. I really didn't get the vibe that they have much a presence in the Northeast though, and Georgetown can probably get you into a NY i-bank more easily but put you at a disadvantage recruiting-wise if you want to come back to Texas right away. But if you think a couple years in NY will open all those doors in Texas and you're in no hurry to get back then you're probably fine either way. Again my opinion isn't gospel, just the vibes I got from two schools I researched heavily.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q V

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 3

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 04:03
This post received
KUDOS
3 months in the waiting... Hope it ends well
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 13

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
I just got an email asking me to update my address where I will to receive mail. I wish it is a good sign. The result is coming! Good luck to all!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 07:30
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call! Pumped yo finally get an admit! She made it sound like there were plenty of calls to make so no worries if you haven't had yours yet

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Simon '15 (WL)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 2

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 08:04
This post received
KUDOS
my soul is getting restless
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 88 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
Pretty exciting time folks ... :)

Seems like I got the news pretty early as compared to people who've reported so far - received a call from my interviewer at 9:01 EST. She mentioned that they'll send out emails within 24 hours and a binder via post on Monday.

Congratulations to people who've already made it ... and all the very best to people who are anxiously awaiting the good news.

Btw ... I'm an International Applicant (from India) - interviewed on 3rd Feb.

I'll finally get to have a good sound sleep tonight :-D

Cheers,
Sudish

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 07:17
This post received
KUDOS
I've been admitted to Tepper and wait listed at McDonough. I've been living in the DC metro the past 6 years and would like to go into investment management somewhere in DC, Baltimore or Philly.

I'd welcome any thoughts or suggestions on whether I should just commit to Tepper or wait to see if I get into McDonough. Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 20

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 16:50
This post received
KUDOS
Just wanted to encourage all those admitted to attend the upcoming welcome weekend for the class of 2015. I'll personally be attending the student org fair Saturday and it should provide a good chance to have more casual conversations with current students. Remember, we were all in your shoes this time a year ago and can hopefully provide some helpful input as you make your own decisions.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 3

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
Am I the only tense applicant? One more day...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q V

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 3

Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 15 May 2013, 21:45
This post received
KUDOS
Round 1 waitlisted applicant.... who after the Round 3 decision has been waitlisted.... again :)

Good luck to the other and congratulations to those who got admits in Round 3
Re: Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants   [#permalink] 15 May 2013, 21:45