Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Georgetown University Vs Univ of Illinois : Urbana Champaign

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Georgetown University Vs Univ of Illinois : Urbana Champaign [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 04:30
I got admits from Georgetown University as well as University of Illinois. I am from India, 3 years IT work experience (Tech Background). Can anyone help me make the decision which one to join. Please reply ASAP as I have to send my initial deposit within next few days.

Georgetown offered no scholarship.
Illinois has offered $20000 for two years.

I am finding it difficult to make the decision. Any valuable information would be welcome.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Georgetown University Vs Univ of Illinois : Urbana Champaign [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 05:40
sreekanth1987 wrote:

I understand the lure of Illinois - its tuition is only $30K/year and is being further discounted by a scholarship (is that $20K total, or $20K each year?). Nonetheless, my vote is for Georgetown. It's a much, much better school and your earning potential should be able to offset the difference in cost over attending Illinois. Yes in the short term it'd be nice to have less debt, but being part of a network that can open doors down the road as you progress in your career should be more important.

Congrats on getting into McDonough!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Georgetown University Vs Univ of Illinois : Urbana Champaign [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 07:23
sreekanth1987 wrote:
I got admits from Georgetown University as well as University of Illinois. I am from India, 3 years IT work experience (Tech Background). Can anyone help me make the decision which one to join. Please reply ASAP as I have to send my initial deposit within next few days.

I am finding it difficult to make the decision. Any valuable information would be welcome.

I really can't speak towards University of Illinois as I don't know anything about the school. But my guess would be that if you want to work somewhere outside of the midwest (or even go back to India or work abroad) you would be much better off going to Georgetown. So I put my vote in for Georgetown.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Georgetown University Vs Univ of Illinois : Urbana Champaign [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 19:29
What do you want to do post-MBA, and where would you like to do it?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Georgetown University Vs Univ of Illinois : Urbana Champaign [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 07:47
U Illinois vs Georgetown should be rather simple. Georgetown has got better placements stats than U Illinois. Further Illinois is in the middle of nowhere. Georgetown would definitely help you to offset whatever scholarship UI has to offer in a short span of time post MBA. Its not an easy call to turn down an offer from UI but I would suggest to speak to as many people from both the schools as possible before making a decision.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Re: Georgetown University Vs Univ of Illinois : Urbana Champaign   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2013, 07:47