Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

German Consultant PwC; please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

German Consultant PwC; please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 11:22
Hi everybody. You would do me a great favour if you could evaluate my profile.

German

710 GMAT (47Q, 41V, 4.5 AWA)
Toefl ibT: 110/120

3.4 Undergrad GPA in Business Administration from German University

Work
- 5 yrs experience in Corporate Restructuring and Performance Improvement Advisory with focus on the automotive industry
- Have spent the last 4 years on projects in Central Eastern Europe and the Middle East where I was acting as project lead for several performance improvement projects in the Automotive industry
- Managed teams up to 10 people
- Was also responsible for the acquisition of one of the biggest consulting projects our office had up to date
- published some articles in German academic journals

University
- Several internships for blue chip companies in France, Germany, Hong Kong and the US
- Exchange semester at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (one of the top rated universities in Asia)
- University swimming team

Want to get MBA to obtain general management knowledge and focus entrepreneurship and technology (I already worked on a couple of business plans with friends of mine but none of them was ever realized due to lack of time and right social network to secure financing)

Short term I would like to spend some more years in consulting (eg McKinsey, BCG etc), in the long run i would like to start my own business or work as turnaround consultant or interim manager (CRO)

Exracurriculars:

Triathlon, Marathon Ironman
Backcountry skiing
Travelling (been now to 44 countries, remaining 150 I hope to cover in the next few years)
No awards during university (is not that common in Germany)
No other social extracurriculars since I have been travelling for the most part of the last 4 years

Considering Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Berkeley and UChicago

Would be great if you could give me some feedback if I would stand any chance of getting admitted. Any advice on what I should focus on during my application, major weaknesses?

Thanks a lot for your help
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: German Consultant PwC; please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 18:41
You're a middle-of-the-road Big-4 consultant (nothing of real concern, but nothing substantive that stands out relative to peers either) which means this:

HBS/Stanford - slim; plus, they really prefer younger consultants with 2-4 years experience (and there's still plenty to choose from within this group); at 5 years, you're getting long on the tooth and unless you have some truly exceptional achievement, you're simply competing against other consultants who are already in the "sweet spot" in terms of years of experience.

MIT - slim; simply because there's only two rounds, and you missed the R1 deadline already. Sloan's R2 is like everyone else's R3. Had you applied in R1, you would be a stretch

Chicago - stretch; you have enough of a shot that it's worth giving a shot. Do the best you can on the application; other peer schools include Kellogg, Tuck and Columbia.

Berkeley - sweet spot; schools in the bottom half of the top 16 are likely your sweet spots - schools where you have a reasonable shot of getting into (but not a shoe in). Peer schools like Duke, Darden, Michigan, UCLA, NYU, Cornell and Yale are also sweet spots for you.

I'm not saying that you should change your list entirely (i.e. you may be a "top school or bust" kind of guy), but if you're going to apply to the schools you originally listed, make sure you have some realistic expectations about where you have the best shot of getting into.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: German Consultant PwC; please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 03:19
Thanks for your honest feedback.

Just some more details on my profile:

- will just turn 29 when I would start the MBA (I know this is approx 2 years above the median of HBS
- I already sent out my app to Berkeley, MIT and Tuck for Round I
- HBS, Stanford and Booth will be Round II

I know that I have a sort of average job as a consultant at the Big Four, nevertheless I worked on some projects which I would describe as not standard for the company (I will try to focus on these experiences in my essays and hopefully manage to stand out a little bit more)

Do you think that European applicants have a small advantage over other int applicants - what I read is that apps from europe are declining ???

Cheers and thanks for your input
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: German Consultant PwC; please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 21:58
Being from Europe certainly separates you, but at best in and of itself it will have a marginal effect. It still comes down to who you are as an individual.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: German Consultant PwC; please evaluate my profile   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2009, 21:58