Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 07:58

Today:

INSEAD (Sept 2015 Intake) R1 Decisions  : Join Chat Room for Live Updates | Free GMAT Club Tests Day

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Get Hardly any Practice Questions Right

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 31

Get Hardly any Practice Questions Right [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 20:06
Really struggling with this stuff - not sure why. I am told by so many it doesn't matter very much and to hardly focus on it. I am retaking the exam and need to concentrate as much as possible on the Quant section to get my score in the 700s.

Not sure what to do though - I don't want to bomb this thing and have great score for the 800 section. I thought if I just did a couple practice ?s each day and the sections on practice tests, I'd be ok. Now I'm worried.

What to do? Taking June 7th
Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 14

Re: Get Hardly any Practice Questions Right [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 22:26
neilferrini wrote:
Really struggling with this stuff - not sure why. I am told by so many it doesn't matter very much and to hardly focus on it. I am retaking the exam and need to concentrate as much as possible on the Quant section to get my score in the 700s.

Not sure what to do though - I don't want to bomb this thing and have great score for the 800 section. I thought if I just did a couple practice ?s each day and the sections on practice tests, I'd be ok. Now I'm worried.

Hi neilferrini,

The IR section is the toughest of all. Jun 7th is not far from now. So, my advice is not to lose too much time thinking about it now. It is still not clear how different schools will take the IR scores. Concentrate on the quant and verbal sections. It would be sad if you screw up these sections thinking about the IR.

The IR needs a lot more attention to detail compared to other sections, especially when you think about the issue essay that was there before the IR came. It will heat your brain up. One way it's good though. You'll be all attentive on the subsequent sections. A downside is that it might hit your confidence levels before these sections.

So, just treat it as an experimental section now.

Regards,

Shouvik.

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 14

Re: Get Hardly any Practice Questions Right [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 01:31
neilferrini wrote:

Best of Luck!
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 303 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: Get Hardly any Practice Questions Right [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 01:51
I would definitely recommend watching the Manhattan Integrated Reasoning Workshop found here:

https://sas.elluminate.com/p.jnlp?psid=2012-04-12.1750.M.6E744DA008540CFBBF67A827327989.vcr&sid=329

You will need Java running on your computer in order to run the Elluminate platform. (the same platform used in the Thursdays with Ron session)

This workshop definitely helped me in figuring out a mental process to attack each question type.

And good luck!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 31

Re: Get Hardly any Practice Questions Right [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 08:05
yeah I am really not a fan of it given that I'm a retaker and have been doing this for so long now. I also can get a 6 on the essays with no preparation whatsoever.

I just want to get something decent so I don't completely screw it up (maybe a 4/8). But I miss half of the easy level questions from the gmat prep pack. I don't know what to think of this thing.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 303 [1] , given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: Get Hardly any Practice Questions Right [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 08:28
This post received
KUDOS
My suggestion would be to guess on say, one or two questions that you know are really tough and which will take you a long time to do. If you guess early on, it will reduce the time pressure and then you can focus on the remaining questions.

Also on the Multi Source Reasoning, don't worry too much if the first question takes too long. From what I've learnt on the MGMAT IR workshop, these have slightly more weight. Additionally these are like RC questions, so spending time up front to understand the question will increase your chances of get them right.

If I were you, I would evaluate what question types I'm weak in and accordingly formulate my strategy (in regards to which questions I'm willing to 'let go').

I also know how you feel; I only recently started my IR prep and I quickly found how poorly I was performing. But like I said, focus on what you're good at for instance, it seems like your verbal is pretty good. You can definitely count on getting a few of those types. All in all, keep your head high, stay positive and remember that the IR is just the appetizer and the main course is still the Q/V sections.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 303 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: Get Hardly any Practice Questions Right [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 04:52
Hey neilferrini, looks like D-Day is in two days! Good luck buddy, and please do let us know how the IR section turned out. I'm definitely interested in knowing...
Re: Get Hardly any Practice Questions Right   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2012, 04:52