Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Getting an Early Start?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Getting an Early Start? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 16:07
Hi guys,

Frequent reader, but first time poster. I have learned a great deal from this forum and I was hoping to get some advice on getting a "really early" start. I am currently an undergraduate set to receive my degree in May/June. I will be working at a Bulge Bracket investment bank in a regional office (SF/Chi), but I have a couple months free before I start work.

I am planning to apply to B-school after a 2-3 year analyst stint... but given that I will be pulling 100 hour weeks, I'm worried that I won't have the time to do a lot of ECs and carefully craft 5-7 Bschool applications. I was wondering if any of you who have been through the process had any advice on what I could do right now while I still have time (and sleep).

I have already taken my GMATs (scored 770, 47V 50Q, 6.0 AWA), and am set to graduate summa cum laude (3.9+ GPA) with dual degrees from a top public university. One of my concerns is that investment bankers are ridiculously overrepresented in application pools and I'm not sure what I could do to distinguish myself. I could start visiting schools right now... but will I even remember my campus visits in 2-3 years? I could also start outlining my essays, but for all I know, my career goals could change 180 degrees in 2 years. Should I just focus on volunteering, given that I won't have time to do any once I start work?

Sorry for the relatively long post. Any and all advice greatly appreciated!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Getting an Early Start? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 20:25
There are plenty of people on this forum that are more qualified than I am to give you advice, but I think I can give you some words of encouragement.

You have a solid GPA from a good school and a stellar GMAT score. Even as a mediocre analyst, you should be capable of finding a spot at more than one of the top 15 schools. I would imagine that the best way to stand out within the banker applicant pool is to demonstrate above average career progression or special assignments. Non-finance extra-curriculars will obviously help too, but I'm not the right person to suggest EC activities (I don't have many of my own).

Enjoy the banking job and learn as much as you can. Don't forget to have fun :)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Getting an Early Start?   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2010, 20:25