Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Getting Denied From B-School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Getting Denied From B-School [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 17:33
Does getting denied from a B-school due to a of lack of work experience hurt one's chances of getting accepted to that school the following year?

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Getting Denied From B-School [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 18:24
Expert's post
ngould wrote:
Does getting denied from a B-school due to a of lack of work experience hurt one's chances of getting accepted to that school the following year?
ve

I wouldn't view that as a negative. As a re-applicant a year later, you've likely used that time to either a) continue at your current job and have gained more experience and hopefully more responsibilities and even a promotion or b) find a new job that gives you more responsibilities and/or exposure to a new field, industry, etc.

As long as you can articulate what you've done to improve your profile (both in your work experience as well as what you've done outside of work), then you have as good of a shot as anyone for being admitted.

Case in point: I was in your exact position a year ago and while I'm very much still in the application process, I have already successfully turned some WLs into admits this year. I personally chose not to re-apply to schools that dinged me last year because after doing more research, I realized those weren't the best schools for me. However, I know @mappleby and some others have successfully converted dings into admits within a year.

Best of luck -- bschool is definitely still possible for you. There are a lot of options out there and as long as you keep trying, something will work out for you!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
MBA Prep School President & Co-Founder
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Getting Denied From B-School [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2013, 00:45
Expert's post
If you can assume that your limited work experience was the *primary* reason that you were unsuccessful, then all else being equal an additional year can certainly make a difference.

However it is critical to look at what you achieve/accomplish during that additional year.

Did you receive a promotion? Were you assigned to a project in which you really had an impact, made some difference? Have you done something notable that gives your references more to talk about than the first time around?

These are just a few ideas but there are lots of things that you could use to prove to the Admissions Committee that you're a much stronger candidate this second time around.

We've also seen cases where people have reapplied 1-2 years later and they didn't only have *more* experience but they also had a *different* type of experience. For example, they moved into an industry that is aligned with their longer-term career goals and got promoted/recognized … thus bringing themselves a step or two closer to achieving their long-term career goals. This is definitely something that the AdCom appreciate.

Overall the best advice is to use your "additional" time wisely and make sure that you actually have something to show the AdCom to convince them that your work experiences are not merely "sufficient" but are actually an impressive differentiator for your candidacy.

Hope that helps and best wishes for success in your MBA campaign and your broader career.

Cheers, Chris

If you find my response/post useful then please give it kudos!

Chris Aitken
Co-Founder
MBA Prep School
San Francisco, CA

Re: Getting Denied From B-School   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2013, 00:45