Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 11:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Getting into an MBA program without an undergraduate degree.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ivey '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V39
WE: General Management (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Getting into an MBA program without an undergraduate degree. [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 13:01
Hello,

I am new to the GMAT club community. This will be my first post, as I am seeking guidance.
I have been in contact with one specific MBA school who has informed me that having an undergraduate degree is not necessary.

Most other peers I speak with advise me that it is highly unlikely I will get into any masters program without it.
The school also advised me if I went back to get an undergrad, I would be looking at 3-4 years and then coming back to work full time another 2-3 years (because of being disconnected for so long); this in turn would set me back about 7 years. So again, they advised that it is mainly best to apply without one as long as I have sufficient work experience. The academic side can be shown through the GMAT.

Now, I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and try for this one school.

So I am merely looking for guidance through my GMAT journey and admissions journey in a way that will give me an upper hand vs. those with an undergrad.

What type of score should I aim for and should I achieve before applying anywhere?

I find that while studying with store bought books, the learning curve is far under that of questions found online, and I feel very under developed with these books - what do you recommend I do living in Ottawa, ON?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S My work experience varies from 2-3 years of learning and leadership development to coaching and support of agents and associates in a financial world. (Mainly an assistant lead role).

S White
GMAT/MBA Journey 2011

"There are no circumstances, however unfortunate, that clever people do not extract some advantage from." Francois La Rochefoucauld

Last edited by Mediah on 29 Jan 2011, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Getting into an MBA program without an undergraduate degree. [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 19:03
My guidance would be to keep your money, you're not getting in anywhere.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ivey '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V39
WE: General Management (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Getting into an MBA program without an undergraduate degree. [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 19:13
method wrote:
My guidance would be to keep your money, you're not getting in anywhere.

I should probably be more clear.

The school I have been in contact with for about a year now (itself) has informed me an undergraduate degree is not a requirement.
This is also true in most Canadian business schools.

They are actually allowed a certain amount of exceptions (this being one of them).

It's not just based on education, but also work experience, leadership, and passion.
I came here to get guidance and inspiration..

So I'm hoping with clarification, I can get support in the right direction.

"There are no circumstances, however unfortunate, that clever people do not extract some advantage from." Francois La Rochefoucauld

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Getting into an MBA program without an undergraduate degree. [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 22:38
Sorry if I came across as cold and misunderstanding, although I am in agreement with your peers that your chances are slim.

If you're intent on your GMAT/MBA journey, here are a few productive pointers:
1) Not all GMAT books are created equal. I would recommend the Manhattan line. Although you should note that the Manhattan CAT Q-side is much harder than the real thing, which can be frustrating at times, but ultimately a good thing. I would also recommend GMATFix which is a very good online tool to pinpoint deficiencies.
2) Change what you can change. Build as many leadership points from work and community service as you can.
3) Create a well-defined career goal and then articulate a story which shows your tremendous potential for that goal while simultaneously illustrating a dire need for an MBA.
4) Really consider what your background brings to the table. You don't have an undergraduate experience and you have a short history of work experience. What is it about you that should make the program "buy" your application?

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Intern
Intern
WE 1: Engineering
WE 2: Technical Marketing
WE 3: Corp. Strategy/Business Dev.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Getting into an MBA program without an undergraduate degree. [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 09:19
2 to 3 years of work experience, generally speaking, is not enough to overcome not having an undergraduate degree. I hate to over generalize, but without an undergraduate degree there aren't too many jobs in which you'll get true leadership experiences or just plain work experience that is palatable to most decent business schools (by that, I mean schools that aren't online programs). You should really ask yourself, "why do I want to go to business school?" Are you unhappy with your current position and don't see much growth upward without formal education? What are your long term goals? Even in rare exceptions in which a non-degreed candidate gets into a decent business school, the lack of an undergraduate degree might make potential employers wary. Honestly, I think you should be a bit more committed in your quest. 7 years is nothing. I'll be thirty when I start business school this fall, with a wife and kid in tow -so yeah, and I want this bad. I wanted it so bad I knew I wanted it the day I graduated with my undergraduate degree. But it took me a few more years to really evolve and understand what I really want out of my life and my career. I'm guessing you're maybe 21 or so, judging from your listed years of experience. So think about it this way - you'll be younger than me when you wrap up business school even after going for your undergrad degree first. There are no short cuts in life, and I think you're hurting yourself in the long run by short changing yourself from an undergrad degree. Who knows? Maybe after graduating you'll end up finding a something you're passionate about, and do well professionally all without the aid of the MBA...
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Getting into an MBA program without an undergraduate degree. [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 10:30
Mediah wrote:
The school I have been in contact with for about a year now (itself) has informed me an undergraduate degree is not a requirement.
This is also true in most Canadian business schools.

They are actually allowed a certain amount of exceptions (this being one of them).

It's not just based on education, but also work experience, leadership, and passion.
I came here to get guidance and inspiration..

So I'm hoping with clarification, I can get support in the right direction.

I would dispute that this is true of most Canadian b-schools. A quick review of the admissions requirements of Rotman, Schulich, Queens, UBC and McGill reveals that an undergrad degree is required at all of these programs. Now, many EMBA programs around the world don't require an undergrad degree, but that's a different story.

I assume you're talking about Ivey. I guess they're willing to make exceptions, but I think that's true of any school anywhere. Hell, even HBS capitulated and admitted GWB's coffee boy, as I pointed out in the other identical thread you started: http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2006/ ... enroll-at/

To answer your initial question, if you can get into Ivey, go for it. But I suspect your chances of getting into most decent schools will be very slim.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Getting into an MBA program without an undergraduate degree. [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 18:41
Although this is an old post, I thought I should reply, in case any one might be reading it today, looking for an answer to a similar question.

Yes, this can be done. How do I know? Because I just did it :o

I got accepted to 3 schools, and nope, I don't have an undergrad. Of course my 10+ years of work experience helped (I doubt anyone without an undergrad would get in with less than 8 years of management experience, at least). But yes, it's definitely possible. I got into 2 top Canadian schools and 1 school in the US. My GMAT score was a 690 and I only wrote it once. Too much emphasis goes on the GMAT score and not enough on the admission essays. I think that's what did it for me - I spent a lot of time on the applications themselves and wrote some compelling essays.

Hope this helps someone else in a similar circumstance!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Getting into an MBA program without an undergraduate degree. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 07:46
NextChapter wrote:
Although this is an old post, I thought I should reply, in case any one might be reading it today, looking for an answer to a similar question.
[highlight]Yes, this can be done. How do I know? Because I just did it :o

I got accepted to 3 schools, and nope, I don't have an undergrad. Of course my 10+ years of work experience helped (I doubt anyone without an undergrad would get in with less than 8 years of management experience, at least). But yes, it's definitely possible. I got into 2 top Canadian schools and 1 school in the US. My GMAT score was a 690 and I only wrote it once. Too much emphasis goes on the GMAT score and not enough on the admission essays. I think that's what did it for me - I spent a lot of time on the applications themselves and wrote some compelling essays.

Hope this helps someone else in a similar circumstance!

Thanks so much for your post as I am attempting the exact same thing (MBA without undergrad degree). Would be very interested in hearing what Canadian and US based schools you were successful with.

Thank-you
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (accepted)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Getting into an MBA program without an undergraduate degree. [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 23:03
I had never heard of this being a possibility before. Thanks for starting this post. This is so interesting to me! I'm not even applying to school (since I just graduated) but wow... had no idea haha...

Find out more about my MBA ADMISSIONS BOOK on how to navigate the b-school application process: http://bit.ly/1a9U7Cl

Blogged my way through the application process, 1st & 2nd year of school at Johnson at Cornell University - Graduated 5/26/2013 - Follow my MBA journey here @ http://www.money9111.blogspot.com | 1 New Post on 10/10
!

Re: Getting into an MBA program without an undergraduate degree.   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2013, 23:03