Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 18:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Getting letters of recommendation from non-English speakers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Getting letters of recommendation from non-English speakers [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 19:38
I have been working overseas for the past few years and would like to ask people who worked with me to write me LoR.

The problem is that most schools I am applying are requiring referrals to answer questions through the online application directly.

I am afraid that it will be too difficult for them to even understand the questions and that it will be

too time consuming if I have to translate everything and help my referrals to go through the admission process step by step.

Are there anyone in the same situation as me?

I wonder if I can just answer all the questions myself by providing my own e-mail address and have my referrals sign on it

before submitting.

Any comment/help appreciate

thanks.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Getting letters of recommendation from non-English speakers [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 20:51
I was recently at an event and they recommended having your recommender write it in their native language. You can then get it officially translated (you will have to pay for this). You should contact the schools you're applying to as they might also accept them in the native language if they have an admissions committee member who speaks that language.

DO NOT write your own recs.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Getting letters of recommendation from non-English speakers [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 11:23
machichi wrote:
I was recently at an event and they recommended having your recommender write it in their native language. You can then get it officially translated (you will have to pay for this). You should contact the schools you're applying to as they might also accept them in the native language if they have an admissions committee member who speaks that language.

DO NOT write your own recs.

How about the questions my recommenders have to answer in the apply online process? I imagine there will be a variety of questions they have to answer and it will be hard for them to even understand what the questions are asking. Should I send hardcopy instead of submit letters online (so recommenders don't have to go through the process)? But yeah, I'm gonna make calls to the admission office. Still, I'd like to hear more about this. Thanks again.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Getting letters of recommendation from non-English speakers [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 11:30
I'm guessing you're fluent in the language they speak, so translate the questions for them. It's possible to look at most schools' rec questions. You should be prepping them with ideas anyway, so investigate the questions, translate them, and email them ideas to job their memories.

Let us know what the admissions committees say!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Re: Getting letters of recommendation from non-English speakers   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2012, 11:30