Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Getting MIS vs MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Getting MIS vs MBA [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 17:51
I am trying to decide which degree MIS or MBA will help me in the long run . I have been in IT for couple of years and I realized that I need to do something to move my career forward to move up with ladder.

Does MBA has any value if I don't get it from the top 20 schools ?
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Getting MIS vs MBA [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 05:43
MIS and MBA are two very different degrees, so which one is best for you depends on what you want to do. If you want to stay on the technical side of IT and become more of an expert in the field, I think MIS is best for you. If you want to get more into the business/management side of things (or want to change careers entirely) the MBA is best for you.

With regard to an MBA from a non top 20 school, they have plenty of value. Of course you should try and get into the best program you can, but at the end of the day an MBA from a school ranked 20+ will still present you with plenty of opportunities. Will they be the same opportunities you would have from a top 20 or top 10 school? Probably not - especially in fields like consulting or banking. But even so you'll get a very good education, and still have very good career options.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Re: Getting MIS vs MBA [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2009, 04:17
That I agree as I will try my best to get into top 20 school but sometimes there are no options but to go to local school which offers more value for the money.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Getting MIS vs MBA [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2009, 22:24
Being an IT professional, pursuing an online MBA would be a good blend. This combination would give better job prospects in your career. Looking at the success rate of this combo, you must move ahead with this option. I also pursued my MBA in information systems online for which I approached http://www.thedegreeexperts.com/dg-mba-109.aspx
I’d wonderful experience. All the online universities listed here are highly ranked and even approved by USDLA.
Re: Getting MIS vs MBA   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2009, 22:24