Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 08:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Getting over the 680-700 hurdle

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Getting over the 680-700 hurdle [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 05:17
Hi guys....

I'm looking for some advice, my last 3 tests (1 GMAT prep and 2MGMAT) were ranging from 640-680 with Q43-48 (getting progressively better) and V34-35.
The question I have is - based on my current quant and verbal scores, is the easiest way to boost my mark over 700 to target verbal or quant? My guess is a high 30's in verbal would push me into 700 range assuming my Quant stays above 45.

At the moment I'm relatively comfortable that my quant score is slowly improving and I know there is room for improvement. However, my verbal seems relatively constant and there does not seem to be improving. From the GMAT score estimator on this forum.... my score estimate is around the 680 mark.

I am aiming for a score around 700. I would be extremely happy with a low 700 mark and I believe with a few weeks more prep this is achievable. Any help appreciated :)

Thanks
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: Getting over the 680-700 hurdle [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 19:42
getting over the 700 hump is one of the hardest parts in studying for the GMAT.

IMO any improvement in verbal will make a bigger impact on your overall GMAT score. This is because there are a lot of foreign applicants that have super strong quant backgrounds and they just rock the math section. The high level of competition in math scores also explains why a 44 in math corresponds to only 72 percentile, while 44 in verbal corresponds to a 97 percentile.

That being said, most schools look for well rounded students. So in terms of making you application look more attractive to MBA programs, you might want to target getting above the 80 percentile on both math and verbal.

Paul

Focused GMAT Prep
http://www.thegmatbootcamp.com

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2135

Kudos [?]: 7304 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Getting over the 680-700 hurdle [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 19:49
Expert's post
Here is something that may work... let me know any feedback!
gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Getting over the 680-700 hurdle [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 22:19
GMATBootcamp you are absolutely right there. My preferred school is INSEAD and they look for at least 75 percentile+ for both quant and verbal, having a high overall GMAT is not enough. I would assume this is the case for a lot of the top schools.

Wow fantastic post BB. I don’t know how I missed it since it pretty much directly answers my question. As GMATBootcamp mentioned, the obvious area of attention is verbal. That should help pull my score up a fair bit. As a native English speaker I think my current verbal score is pretty abysmal haha.

There are a few things I have not yet done which include reviewing my error log and going through MGMAT SC guide (in my last MGMAT test I failed on all the 700+ SC questions). I would love to get a hold of some of the other resources mentioned such as the Powerscore books but one issue I have is that these are not available in Australia :roll:

Anyway I will post updates with my results. Thanks again.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2135

Kudos [?]: 7304 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Getting over the 680-700 hurdle [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 22:25
Expert's post
yangsta8 wrote:
GMATBootcamp you are absolutely right there. My preferred school is INSEAD and they look for at least 75 percentile+ for both quant and verbal, having a high overall GMAT is not enough. I would assume this is the case for a lot of the top schools.

Wow fantastic post BB. I don’t know how I missed it since it pretty much directly answers my question. As GMATBootcamp mentioned, the obvious area of attention is verbal. That should help pull my score up a fair bit. As a native English speaker I think my current verbal score is pretty abysmal haha.

There are a few things I have not yet done which include reviewing my error log and going through MGMAT SC guide (in my last MGMAT test I failed on all the 700+ SC questions). I would love to get a hold of some of the other resources mentioned such as the Powerscore books but one issue I have is that these are not available in Australia :roll:

Anyway I will post updates with my results. Thanks again.

1. There is not much difference between MGMAT SC and PowerScore SC - definitely don't need both.

2. May want to visit this thread: calling-all-australia-new-zealand-candidates-85194.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Getting over the 680-700 hurdle   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2009, 22:25