Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 10:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gifts for recommenders

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.05
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 13:16
I have some kind of special circumstances, so I have come up with the following:

My direct supervisor won't write for me, as I would leave the company upon matriculation, so I have worked with six coworkers and friends in writing for six schools. Some only wrote for one school, others wrote for up to three. As such, I want to give gifts somewhat proportionally to effort expended.

I am giving each person a shirt or sweatshirt to the school they wrote for (this is around $25-$35, appropriate) and in the end, once I am accepted, I will get each of the six a nice pen, perhaps engraved. I figure a pen is appropriate considering the nature of the task. It does feel a bit weird buying school-branded stuff before I am accepted, but I figure that since I'm not the person wearing it it's not as weird. I don't know if any of them will wear it, but the response so far has been good (better than with chocolates, which I gave to my Wharton recommenders).

* The opinions expressed here are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my school, the Tepper School of Business.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth R2, Kellogg R2 (W/L - withdrawn)
WE 1: Big 4 IT Auditing
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 13:24
vixer wrote:
I have some kind of special circumstances, so I have come up with the following:

My direct supervisor won't write for me, as I would leave the company upon matriculation, so I have worked with six coworkers and friends in writing for six schools. Some only wrote for one school, others wrote for up to three. As such, I want to give gifts somewhat proportionally to effort expended.

I am giving each person a shirt or sweatshirt to the school they wrote for (this is around $25-$35, appropriate) and in the end, once I am accepted, I will get each of the six a nice pen, perhaps engraved. I figure a pen is appropriate considering the nature of the task. It does feel a bit weird buying school-branded stuff before I am accepted, but I figure that since I'm not the person wearing it it's not as weird. I don't know if any of them will wear it, but the response so far has been good (better than with chocolates, which I gave to my Wharton recommenders).

If they like it, go for it, but this seems strange to me. They have no reason to care about the schools they are recommending you to. If someone asked me to write them a recommendation to the University of Michigan and then bought me a Michigan shirt, I would feel compelled to burn it. But that's just because Michigan sucks.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 15:57
vixer wrote:

I thought most schools don't accept recommendations from co-workers and friends?

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 16:43
The only one I used a "friend" on was Chicago. Here is what they state:

Chicago Booth Application Instructions wrote:
The second letter of recommendation can also be professional but it is not required. If you would like to provide a recommendation that extends beyond your work environment you are welcome to do so. Examples may include but are not limited to a mentor, a professor, or a person you work closely with in a volunteer capacity. These letters can give us a different perspective of your skill sets outside of your professional environment. There is no preference on who supplies your second letter of recommendation our only guideline is it should add new and valuable insights to your qualifications.
Whomever you choose to write your recommendation make sure they know you well and can offer specific examples of your performance and contributions to the organization.

Also, I am curious who you used for your second recommendation in your apps, considering your claim that coworkers should not be used. Do you have two current direct supervisors? Did you pull a professor from 5 years ago? A former supervisor from 4?

The only app I used my direct supervisor for was Wharton, and that didn't really pan out. With colleagues as recommenders, I am 2 for 2 for interviews.

* The opinions expressed here are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my school, the Tepper School of Business.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 17:10
vixer wrote:

The second letter of recommendation can also be professional but it is not required. If you would like to provide a recommendation that extends beyond your work environment you are welcome to do so. Examples may include but are not limited to a mentor, a professor, or a person you work closely with in a volunteer capacity. These letters can give us a different perspective of your skill sets outside of your professional environment. There is no preference on who supplies your second letter of recommendation our only guideline is it should add new and valuable insights to your qualifications.
Whomever you choose to write your recommendation make sure they know you well and can offer specific examples of your performance and contributions to the organization.

Also, I am curious who you used for your second recommendation in your apps, considering your claim that coworkers should not be used. Do you have two current direct supervisors? Did you pull a professor from 5 years ago? A former supervisor from 4?

The only app I used my direct supervisor for was Wharton, and that didn't really pan out. With colleagues as recommenders, I am 2 for 2 for interviews.

I work in advisory (consulting/audit) so I have at least a dozen "supervisors" who could technically write recommendations - every engagement I work on has a different manager. I'm surprised recommendations from colleagues are accepted.. I guess it worked out well in your case!

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 17:14
staind wrote:
vixer wrote:

I work in advisory (consulting/audit) so I have at least a dozen "supervisors" who could technically write recommendations - every engagement I work on has a different manager. I'm surprised recommendations from colleagues are accepted.. I guess it worked out well in your case!

If non-supervisory recommendations were not allowed, there would be almost no students entering business school with a general management focused background. Same could be probably said for corporate marketing.

Try to picture the frustration so many of us not currently involved in finance/consulting feel with this aspect of the application process...

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 17:26
vixer wrote:
staind wrote:
vixer wrote:
The only one I used a "friend" on was Chicago.

If non-supervisory recommendations were not allowed, there would be almost no students entering business school with a general management focused background. Same could be probably said for corporate marketing.

Try to picture the frustration so many of us not currently involved in finance/consulting feel with this aspect of the application process...

Yeah it can definitely be the most frustrating part of the application..

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 22:08
clearly I've over spent...

I got two recommender a rally car driving experience (6 laps in a rally car doing circuits on a dirt track with full training)
The other two recommender I got them a flight experience - aerobatics in a tiger moth
Current Student
Schools: Texas '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 18:08
I briefly thought about getting school related merchandise then I realized that neither really follows the college thing to closely. I got each something they would really enjoy. One is really into everything IPod (he has several). I got him a universal remote attachment (which I knew he didn’t have or wouldn’t have thought of looking for). The other is a diehard Jimmy Johnson fan (NASCAR which I know nothing about). I got him a personalized championship flag (that he could hang in his office). Both were very appreciative and I only spent about 65$. They both still check in on me occasionally to see how school is going. I think you should try to be personal with your gifts; it shows you know them as well as you’re hoping they show they know you in the recommendations you’re having them write.
Current Student
Schools: Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 18:14
Booze. Everyone loves booze. Well, not everyone, but everyone who recommended me does.

Last edited by piggles on 13 Jan 2011, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 20:38
piggles wrote:
Boos. Everyone loves boos. Well, not everyone, but everyone who recommended me does.

Booze, you mean?

If so, Google "beer of the month club" and you'll find some options that'll deliver a 12 pack of obscure microbrews for $30-40 per month. I'm doing that for one of my recommenders and probably something similar with wine for another one.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Current Student
Schools: Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 20:46
emont wrote:
piggles wrote:
Boos. Everyone loves boos. Well, not everyone, but everyone who recommended me does.

Booze, you mean?

If so, Google "beer of the month club" and you'll find some options that'll deliver a 12 pack of obscure microbrews for $30-40 per month. I'm doing that for one of my recommenders and probably something similar with wine for another one.

Yeah, I'm drunk.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 151

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 23:36
I bought good wine (5 bottles) to my former boss and recommender (115 Euro value), I think he liked it :D

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 10:08
one of my recommenders is in singapore.. He used to be my manager four years back.. what could i send him? by mail? any ideas? appreciate the input.

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kelley Class of 2013
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 10:25
vixer wrote:

Exactly. I've been working for 8 years and there are zero supervisors I could use for recommendations. I currently run my own company so no supervisor, and before then, I was a lawyer at a law firm that has a very strict policy against current employees giving any sort of references or recommendations (they don't want to get sued).

Sometimes you just have to make do.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 10:52
piggles wrote:
Booze. Everyone loves booze. Well, not everyone, but everyone who recommended me does.

Hear hear,

I actually bought my recommender a bottle of 18 year old scotch from the Isle. His response was that he needed a scotch after doing 7 references, the paperwork drove him insane. He growled that at least one adcom better accepts my application after all the hassle.

I bought his PA who reminded him on the deadline some fancy spa products. Thank God he has an efficient PA.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 11:01
sdg wrote:
I briefly thought about getting school related merchandise then I realized that neither really follows the college thing to closely. I got each something they would really enjoy. One is really into everything IPod (he has several). I got him a universal remote attachment (which I knew he didn’t have or wouldn’t have thought of looking for). The other is a diehard Jimmy Johnson fan (NASCAR which I know nothing about). I got him a personalized championship flag (that he could hang in his office). Both were very appreciative and I only spent about 65$. They both still check in on me occasionally to see how school is going. I think you should try to be personal with your gifts; it shows you know them as well as you’re hoping they show they know you in the recommendations you’re having them write.

Yeah - I've been rethinking my gifts. Less school focus.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 22:00
Don't buy school items for your recommenders unless they are an Alum of that school. It will collect dust, its always a safe bet to get them something related to a hobby or if they are a huge sports fan of a certain team a few tickets to a game would be good.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 15:35
I am planning on gifting an Apple TV to my recommender. He has given me over 10 recommendations. I have also promised him as many number of happy hours he wishes until the school starts!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Other)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 08:33
Wanted people's thoughts on a male giving his male recommender a gift basket of something like barbecue paraphernalia (sauces, rubs, cedar grilling paper, skewers, etc) or a gift basket of steaks. Barbecue + steak = manly. Gift baskets = not so much. Appropriate gift?

"You know, you can just call me Mike".

Re: Gifts for recommenders   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2012, 08:33