Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:22

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gifts for recommenders

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 107 [2] , given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
piggles wrote:
Booze. Everyone loves booze. Well, not everyone, but everyone who recommended me does.

Yup! I got my old boss a bottle of Jameson 18. He looked like he had won the freakin lottery -- practically giddy upon unwrapping it. He remarked that he might not be able to wait until after work to crack it open.

Mission Accomplished.
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 73

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 08:49
MikeBolton wrote:
Wanted people's thoughts on a male giving his male recommender a gift basket of something like barbecue paraphernalia (sauces, rubs, cedar grilling paper, skewers, etc) or a gift basket of steaks. Barbecue + steak = manly. Gift baskets = not so much. Appropriate gift?

That sounds like a great gift as long as your recommender is not a vegetarian.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

VP
VP

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 08:51
I've bought 2 of my 4 recommenders gifts thus far. I gave my direct supervisor a wine basket that came with chocolate and salty snacks. For my other professional recommender I got a Chicago Bears throw blanket and beer mug. He has an unfortunate allegiance to that team that often ends in disappointment. But hey, who am I to judge.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 08:53
cheetarah1980 wrote:
MikeBolton wrote:
Wanted people's thoughts on a male giving his male recommender a gift basket of something like barbecue paraphernalia (sauces, rubs, cedar grilling paper, skewers, etc) or a gift basket of steaks. Barbecue + steak = manly. Gift baskets = not so much. Appropriate gift?

That sounds like a great gift as long as your recommender is not a vegetarian.

Thanks! He's not a vegetarian and I know he likes to grill/barbecue. I'm generally on board with the traditional gift of scotch, but I've never seen him drink it - just the occasional beer.

"You know, you can just call me Mike".

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 10:49
I got my guys pre-order, premium editions of the new Star Wars Galaxies MMO. I work in tech, what do you expect! My boss loves it.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 14

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 10:57
got my boss a bottle of Georges de Latour, $100 bottle wine + the new steve jobs book

that should do the trick!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 13

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 11:08
I got them a signed copy of a book (not a textbook) from a professor at the school I visited and applied to
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 11:16
cheetarah1980 wrote:
For my other professional recommender I got a Chicago Bears throw blanket and beer mug. He has an unfortunate allegiance to that team that often ends in disappointment. But hey, who am I to judge.

LOL! Hilarious.

Anyhoo after all the school visits and other personal expelnses, I was low on dough so I went the sentimental route. Wrote some 'deep and meaningful' thank you cards, gave them magnets with quotes that were relevant to them and their goals, and also Barnes and Noble Gift cards.

When I hear back from all my schools, and notify them that I have picked a school..... I'll give them some liquor :-D
VP
VP

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 11:24
I'm noticing a trend toward enabling our recommenders for drunkenness. NICE!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 53

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 11:37
I got my one recommender a fine assortment of chocolates. (He likes chocolates A LOT!)
I got my other recommender a very nice gourmet cheese platter from one of the more expensive shops around town. (She loves cheeses)

I took them both out the lunch (separately) at a very nice restaurant.

I also wrote both of them personal hand written thank you notes (1 page long) on good stationary and gave it to them along with the gifts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 11:41
Being a re-app this is the second year i will be getting gifts for my recommenders. Last year i had multiple recommenders spread across schools so I had a decent amount of gifts to buy. I ended up getting them bottles of scotch, whiskey, or wine. Luckily all of them drank.

This year i Have fewer, but they wrote them this year and last. I was going to get them scotch/wine but nicer bottles. I am waiting until I get into a school and decide (hopefully it works out) and send it to them with a school banner, i figure its a good way to remember me. I always include a hand written thank you card to make it a little more personal.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.73
WE: Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 17:55
Since I work for an alcohol beverage company, I chose not to buy my boss booze. He can get it any time he wants for free as can I. In fact, I love that someone bought a bottle of Jameson 18YO as that is one of the products we sell.

Anyway, I went with cigars. Davidoffs do the trick.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 8

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
I got my recommenders unconventional gifts and they both were really happy with them.

Recommender #1 is currently taking time off to be a mom, with a consultant gig on the side. She often complained about how she had a really old version of Microsoft Office at home, which caused problems not only with providing me comments on my essays (she offered to review them for me) but also with her consulting job and simple tasks like sending out Christmas cards. I bought her a copy of the latest Microsoft Office with all the bells and whistles.

My other recommender has a huge sweet tooth and is the only man I know that watches "Cupcake Wars" on the Food Network. Well, he claims his wife forces him to watch it but his constant references to the show suggest otherwise haha. I researched the show and it turns out one of the judges owns a chain of cupcake stores - a branch of which is across the street from me. It was a no brainer - he got a box of Sprinkles cupcakes, the price of which makes you wonder if they're made of gold.

Bottomline: If you know your recommenders well enough, take a moment and think about your interactions with them over the last few months. It should be pretty clear what will make them happy.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 179

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 09:58
Unfortunately for me, I don't know my recommenders well enough to customize their gifts.... all I got for them is $75 Dillard's gift card :oops:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 12:58
For those who have already given thank you gifts, how long did you wait before giving something to your recommender? Immediately after the last recommendation? A few weeks?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 53

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 07:54
onefreshkid wrote:
For those who have already given thank you gifts, how long did you wait before giving something to your recommender? Immediately after the last recommendation? A few weeks?
I gave them gifts maybe 2 weeks after they sent in the LOR.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 08:33
onefreshkid wrote:

i tend to wait until I have decisions from 80-90% of my schools as I am trying to include something specific to the school I will choose.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 14

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 09:15
JN, i'm more of a bushmills kind of guy :) go diageo!
VP
VP

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 09:31
onefreshkid wrote:

I gave my direct supervisor a gift a few days before she submitted her final reco. I sent my other professional recommender his gift a few days after he submitted his final one. I have two more to go and they will be out by the end of February. Since they put work into the recos on my behalf I feel as though they should be thanked no matter what. Since my other two recommenders only did one I will go lower key for their gifts. A handwritten thank you card and maybe some chocolates or something.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 4

Re: Gifts for recommenders [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 16:32
I'm having a couple pounds of pastrami from Katz's delivered to my former boss, who was born and raised in New York. It will come with a half a loaf of rye bread, Katz's mustard and some spiced pickles, too! He's going to love it, and I can't wait to see his face when he opens up the box after it arrives sometime this week.

The same goes for my former boss's boss, who just fell in love with Katz's when he tried it recently.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Re: Gifts for recommenders   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2012, 16:32