Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Given n>5 , when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 323

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Given n>5 , when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1) [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 16:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (03:12) correct 46% (01:54) wrong based on 65 sessions
Given n>5 , when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1) , what is the remainder ?

(1) (n+2) is a prime number.

(2) (n−2) is a prime number.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2110 [1] , given: 30

Re: Given n>5 , when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1) [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 17:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
guerrero25 wrote:

This is a truly brilliant question, and I am very happy to help. :-)

When when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1), (n + 1) obviously divides evenly into the (n + 1), so the question is: what is the remainder when we divide (n!) by (n+1)?

Well, if n > 5, then the only odd numbers available are prime. Whether (n + 2) or (n - 2) is prime, that means that n must be odd. If n is odd, (n + 1) is even, and therefore is product of 2 and something smaller than n. That means, both factors of (n + 1) must be contained in (n!), so (n + 1) divides evenly into (n!) with a remainder of zero. Each statement is sufficient on its own. OA = (D).

For example, let n = 21. Both n - 2 = 19 and n + 2 = 23 are prime. We know that (n + 1) = 22 is even: thus, 22 = 2*11, and of course, (21!) must contain every factor from 1 to 21, so it will include both a factor of 2 and factor of 11. Therefore, (21!) is necessarily a multiple of 22, and were we to divide, we would get a remainder of zero.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 05-07-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

Re: Given n>5 , when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1) [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 00:07
mikemcgarry wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:

This is a truly brilliant question, and I am very happy to help. :-)

When when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1), (n + 1) obviously divides evenly into the (n + 1), so the question is: what is the remainder when we divide (n!) by (n+1)?

Well, if n > 5, then the only odd numbers available are prime. Whether (n + 2) or (n - 2) is prime, that means that n must be odd. If n is odd, (n + 1) is even, and therefore is product of 2 and something smaller than n. That means, both factors of (n + 1) must be contained in (n!), so (n + 1) divides evenly into (n!) with a remainder of zero. Each statement is sufficient on its own. OA = (D).

For example, let n = 21. Both n - 2 = 19 and n + 2 = 23 are prime. We know that (n + 1) = 22 is even: thus, 22 = 2*11, and of course, (21!) must contain every factor from 1 to 21, so it will include both a factor of 2 and factor of 11. Therefore, (21!) is necessarily a multiple of 22, and were we to divide, we would get a remainder of zero.

It sure does makes sense. I just supplemented values for n in the equation to get to the answer. I hope that's okay while solving such questions.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Given n>5 , when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1) [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 07:45
Quote:

It sure does makes sense. I just supplemented values for n in the equation to get to the answer. I hope that's okay while solving such questions.

doing this way will not always work and might cause you to make false assessment (if something is true for a given value of n does not mean it is true for all n)

GMAT score: 780 (51 quant, 45 verbal, 5.5 AWA, 8 IR)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5037 [1] , given: 164

Re: Given n>5 , when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1) [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
guerrero25 wrote:
Given n>5 , when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1), what is the remainder?

I would like to weigh in here since it is one of my little creations!
The concept I wanted to test here was that if (n+1) is prime, it will not be a factor of n! because (n+1) cannot be broken down into smaller factors. On the other hand, a composite number can be broken down into 2 smaller factors and both will be included in n!. Here (n+1) is always even so it can definitely be broken down into two factors: 2 and n/2. In any case, n! will have both 2 and n/2 as factors (simultaneously).

Here is the detailed explanation:

Given (n! + n + 1)

\frac{n! + (n+1)}{n+1} = \frac{n!}{n+1} + 1

Now if n! is divisible by (n+1), then the remainder is 0. If not, then we don’t know the remainder.
If (n+1) is a composite number, it can be split into two factors smaller than (n+1). Both will be included in n! since n! has all factors smaller than (n+1). So if (n+1) is composite, n! is divisible by (n+1). If (n+1) is prime, n! does not contain (n+1) and hence is not divisible by (n+1).

Statement I: If (n+2) is prime, (n+1) must be even and hence composite (recall that there is only one prime even number i.e. 2). Remainder must be 0. Sufficient.

Statement II: If (n-2) is prime, (n-1) and (n+1) must be even and hence composite. Remainder must be 0. Sufficient.

Answer (D)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Given n>5 , when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1) [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 10:37
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
Given n>5 , when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1), what is the remainder?

I would like to weigh in here since it is one of my little creations!
The concept I wanted to test here was that if (n+1) is prime, it will not be a factor of n! because (n+1) cannot be broken down into smaller factors. On the other hand, a composite number can be broken down into 2 smaller factors and both will be included in n!. Here (n+1) is always even so it can definitely be broken down into two factors: 2 and n/2. In any case, n! will have both 2 and n/2 as factors (simultaneously).

Here is the detailed explanation:

Given (n! + n + 1)

\frac{n! + (n+1)}{n+1} = \frac{n!}{n+1} + 1

Now if n! is divisible by (n+1), then the remainder is 0. If not, then we don’t know the remainder.
If (n+1) is a composite number, it can be split into two factors smaller than (n+1). Both will be included in n! since n! has all factors smaller than (n+1). So if (n+1) is composite, n! is divisible by (n+1). If (n+1) is prime, n! does not contain (n+1) and hence is not divisible by (n+1).

Statement I: If (n+2) is prime, (n+1) must be even and hence composite (recall that there is only one prime even number i.e. 2). Remainder must be 0. Sufficient.

Statement II: If (n-2) is prime, (n-1) and (n+1) must be even and hence composite. Remainder must be 0. Sufficient.

Answer (D)

Hi Karishma,

could you please elaborate this part of your reasoning:

If (n+1) is a composite number, it can be split into two factors smaller than (n+1). Both will be included in n! since n! has all factors smaller than (n+1). So if (n+1) is composite, n! is divisible by (n+1)

I don't really see why if n+1 is even then n! will be divisible by n+1.

Thanks in advance :)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2110 [1] , given: 30

Re: Given n>5 , when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1) [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
NAL9 wrote:
Hi Karishma,

If (n+1) is a composite number, it can be split into two factors smaller than (n+1). Both will be included in n! since n! has all factors smaller than (n+1). So if (n+1) is composite, n! is divisible by (n+1)

Dear NAL9,
I saw this, so I'll respond. :-) I have a great deal of respect for Karishma, but I can answer this question.

Think about it this way. The number (73!) is a very big number, more than 100 digits. It is the product of every integer from 1 to 73, so it is automatically divisible by any integer from 1 to 73. Now, think about the next integer, 74. We want to know whether (73!), that 100+ digit number, will be divisible by 74. Well, notice that 74 = 2*37. Clearly (73!) is divisible by both 2 and by 37: therefore, it must be divisible by 2*37 = 74.

In much the same way, as long as we know that n is odd and that (n + 1) is even, we know that (n + 1) can be written as a product of 2 times some other number. That other integer, (n + 1)/2, will be much smaller than n, and therefore automatically will be one of the factors included in (n!). Of course, 2 is another factor also included in (n!). Therefore, (n!) would have to be divisible by the product of these two factors, and that product is (n + 1).

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Given n>5 , when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1) [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 12:01
mikemcgarry wrote:
NAL9 wrote:
Hi Karishma,

Dear NAL9,
I saw this, so I'll respond. :-) I have a great deal of respect for Karishma, but I can answer this question.

Think about it this way. The number (73!) is a very big number, more than 100 digits. It is the product of every integer from 1 to 73, so it is automatically divisible by any integer from 1 to 73. Now, think about the next integer, 74. We want to know whether (73!), that 100+ digit number, will be divisible by 74. Well, notice that 74 = 2*37. Clearly (73!) is divisible by both 2 and by 37: therefore, it must be divisible by 2*37 = 74.

In much the same way, as long as we know that n is odd and that (n + 1) is even, we know that (n + 1) can be written as a product of 2 times some other number. That other integer, (n + 1)/2, will be much smaller than n, and therefore automatically will be one of the factors included in (n!). Of course, 2 is another factor also included in (n!). Therefore, (n!) would have to be divisible by the product of these two factors, and that product is (n + 1).

Now I get it :) Thank you for the explanation!!!
Re: Given n>5 , when (n!+n+1) is divided by (n+1)   [#permalink] 05 May 2014, 12:01