Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [27]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 1357 [6]
Given Kudos: 334
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [2]
Send PM
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 1357 [3]
Re: Giving/receiving Kudos. [#permalink]
Kudos
This is why reminding other users about Kudos in one's signature might be a good idea for those needing them. It looks like you'll be qualifying for Free GMAT Club Tests very soon!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
dzyubam wrote:
This is why reminding other users about Kudos in one's signature might be a good idea for those needing them. It looks like you'll be qualifying for Free GMAT Club Tests very soon!

Sure ;)

Initially I thought that I need only 25 kudos, and thats all. After some time I realised the pleasure and usefulness (utility) when contributing with thoughts, explanations to others. I really like this Club and I admire very friendly community willing to help each other regardless the fact that we may apply to the same schools.

After 50 posts I have been promoted to Manager (so fast)! It is good incentive as well. ))
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [2]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thank you Pkit for starting the thread - I am hoping we can make the Kudos to be a good way to sort though thousands of posts. Right now, here is the only way to assess the value but that will be expanded soon :wink:
https://gmatclub.com/static/top-posts/
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5424 [4]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Kudos
This particular part is the best -

Before, I had thought that when I give kudos, I lose my previously earned kudos. :roll: LOL

Pkit wrote:
BB's reply inspired me to innitiate this thread. I decided to do this in order to improve the culture of appreciation community members.
Here is his reply:

bb wrote:

You should give Kudos to anyone who deserves them - regardless of how many they have or even if they can give those themselves ( :wink: ) - for 2 reasons:
1. It provides a small token of appreciation and an example for others to follow suit (same post or another)
2. We actually rank our content based on user feedback: https://gmatclub.com/static/top-posts/

So, think of Kudos more than just kudos :)

Before, I had thought that when I give kudos, I lose my previously earned kudos. :roll: LOLI had been greedy, untill I obseved that actually I do not lose earned kudos , when giving kudos to other members of the community. Than I began to appreciate other people more often (you may see a slight disbalance in my "kudos wallet") giving them merit-based-kudos.

I have observed that after providing really good explanations (for example, see my explanation of CR question " carbon dioxide" carbon-dioxide-94630.html) I did not receive kudos. :? Why?!

I suppose that some people do not give kudos for the following reason: "hhmm, ....If my \(given kudos>received kudos\), this may mean that I do not contribute to the community, thus I will always keep my kudos balance positive and will not give kudos". So, if most of people think so, most of members will not feel apreciated, because they did not receive kudos.

Other reasons? ;) Welcome!

Please provide your suggestions and reasons: for what do you give kudos, for what do you receive kudos, why you do not want to give kudos, even if you like the exlanation or thread, etc.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Thank you Pkit for starting the thread - I am hoping we can make the Kudos to be a good way to sort though thousands of posts. Right now, here is the only way to assess the value but that will be expanded soon :wink:
https://gmatclub.com/static/top-posts/

I suppose that there are a lot of valuable posts here, that were not properly evaluated using kudos, thus I think other measurement instrument may be very useful. You are intriguing us ;)

I would propose to rate (evaluate) posts according to the number of users accessing them. The higher the access rate, the higher the value of a post. + We may think about complex valuation formula: like 20%*access rate+80%*amount of kudos= overall rating of a post.

It seems that most of new members of community do not know about this link, as I did not know about it.
How can I bookmark this link in order to have fast access to it?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5424 [3]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Kudos
Earlier, I was confused by the Kudos feature. I used to think why there is no button besides my avtar :( but my doubts cleared when I read some thread updates on Kudos :wink:.

I think people are not getting kudos for their explaination not just because other forget to press the button after reading it, but may be they didnt find the explanation good enough, apart from what others have posted. If you add something useful, a new concept/fundemantal/rule, not just explanation, you will get some kudos. For example, BUNUEL. He is the most active forum moderator and always post the answers with great explanations, carrying new concepts/learnings.

But, yes, I want to say people are not getting kudos :? for posting new+difficult questions, which generates lots of explanations/kudos trading :wink:/fundamentals.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [5]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Kudos
Great topic.

Let me just say I love Kudos because they're such a random thing to have on a message board. I especially love how tight-fisted everyone is with them. I laugh out loud when I see users with 700+ received and 0 given. Really, never learned anything from using the site?

Have you all ever seen that show on ESPN called Around the Horn? I treat Kudos like the host of that show treats plus points. Any post that makes a halfway-decent point or makes me laugh even slightly gets kudos. Or if someone gets into school or off the waitlist, kudos to them! I like to be an active reader. :) I've been perusing this site for only a few months and I've easily found over 3000 posts that were noteworthy for their usefulness/entertainment value and I don't even click to the GMAT question forums. I assume if they're anything like the regular threads, not enough Kudos are offered.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
coakleym wrote:
Great topic.

Let me just say I love Kudos because they're such a random thing to have on a message board. I especially love how tight-fisted everyone is with them. I laugh out loud when I see users with 700+ received and 0 given. Really, never learned anything from using the site?

Have you all ever seen that show on ESPN called Around the Horn? I treat Kudos like the host of that show treats plus points. Any post that makes a halfway-decent point or makes me laugh even slightly gets kudos. Or if someone gets into school or off the waitlist, kudos to them! I like to be an active reader. :) I've been perusing this site for only a few months and I've easily found over 3000 posts that were noteworthy for their usefulness/entertainment value and I don't even click to the GMAT question forums. I assume if they're anything like the regular threads, not enough Kudos are offered.

Holy Cow - you have given 3,050 kudos! :shock:
This is actually quite the opposite of the original post.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Kudos
Haha, you will laugh, but at first I thought that the word kudos was made up in this forum, as a way of rating. When I showed the forum to my wife and she asked me about the button below my avatar, I tried to explain what was kudos about. But later I saw the word in another website, so I looked the word up in the dictionary, hahaha. Only then I realized it was a real word.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
cano wrote:
Haha, you will laugh, but at first I thought that the word kudos was made up in this forum, as a way of rating. When I showed the forum to my wife and she asked me about the button below my avatar, I tried to explain what was kudos about. But later I saw the word in another website, so I looked the word up in the dictionary, hahaha. Only then I realized it was a real word.

Great point!
We should post the Wikipedia article about this on the Kudos page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
coakleym wrote:
Great topic.

I have to say 3K is way too much inflation of the content. It is almost worthless if you are giving away so much - every post has a Kudo, so it does not show up on the list until somebody else gives one, which would have been the case if you did not award them....

I never thought I'd see this day but I have to actually tell somebody to slow down on Kudos.... :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [3]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
I have to say 3K is way too much inflation of the content. It is almost worthless if you are giving away so much - every post has a Kudo, so it does not show up on the list until somebody else gives one, which would have been the case if you did not award them....

I never thought I'd see this day but I have to actually tell somebody to slow down on Kudos.... :)

That is the flip side of the coin. Personally, I don't see the issue. I'm only giving kudos to posts that have some intrinsic value to them and I can only give one kudo to any given post, so the most valuable posts would (in theory, if people regularly used the feature) still receive more kudos and still rise to the top of the Top Forum Posts. (Admittedly that Top Forum Posts is a view of the forums that I didn't know existed until you pointed it out, although it probably wouldn't be one that I would use regularly.)

In future editions of kudos, you could put a daily or weekly cap on the number of kudos available to each user's account. I've seen similar controls on other message boards. That said, those other sites experience the same issue of users not recognizing content with kudos, or plus points, or whatever they might be. :?

But I think all that obscures the fact that your website is a treasure trove of information and people that add to it, even in the smallest degree, deserve to be recognized. I don't consider it content inflation at all; I consider it truly appropriate content compensation.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
coakleym wrote:

That is the flip side of the coin. Personally, I don't see the issue. I'm only giving kudos to posts that have some intrinsic value to them and I can only give one kudo to any given post, so the most valuable posts would (in theory, if people regularly used the feature) still receive more kudos and still rise to the top of the Top Forum Posts. (Admittedly that Top Forum Posts is a view of the forums that I didn't know existed until you pointed it out, although it probably wouldn't be one that I would use regularly.)

In future editions of kudos, you could put a daily or weekly cap on the number of kudos available to each user's account. I've seen similar controls on other message boards. That said, those other sites experience the same issue of users not recognizing content with kudos, or plus points, or whatever they might be. :?

But I think all that obscures the fact that your website is a treasure trove of information and people that add to it, even in the smallest degree, deserve to be recognized. I don't consider it content inflation at all; I consider it truly appropriate content compensation.

I would agree with coakleym.
I really think that his generosity does not overweigh, rather compensates, the shyness of most of community members, so I even think he contributed to the balance of received kudos by giving them, when others fail to do so.
Also I agree with you to put a daily or weekly cap on the number of kudos available to each user's account. It would be fair.

coakleym I like your generosity, you are really kind guy with big bright soul :). (pls no kudos for this, it is just a compliment).
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 1357 [3]
Kudos

Here's some interesting Kudos info

Top 20 Kudos Givers
UsernameGivenReceived
coakleym310652
bb739801
Praetorian536513
RaviChandra21637
bsd_lover157295
dzyubam156185
TimeSquareDesi14735
walker131665
nink116451
sudeep10463
tejal77710037
ctrlaltdel9614
monirjewel9641
ugimba9316
Ayrish9221
pm45538830
Pre7778114
mohater7891
shadowsjc75124
AtifS7446
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
dzyubam wrote:

Here's some interesting Kudos info

Dzyubam,
Good job! Could you please include the column "kudos received" in above table?

Also could you please post a table in which we may see Top kudos receivers and with column kudos given away, I mean it is interesting to see whether the received kudos balance with those given.

thank you
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
We have added a list of Most Helpful Posts on the main forum page to reflect the Kudos awarded and to highlight the best content from the last 7 days.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Kudos - what are they and why we have them [#permalink]
Kudos
+1kudo
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kudos - what are they and why we have them [#permalink]
 1   2   3