Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 21:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Giving up GMAT with painful memory

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Giving up GMAT with painful memory [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 12:09
Dear All...

I am posting here my recent GMAT experience and ask you to provide me with an adequate explanation for what had happened with me today

I want to give you just a quick brief about my first GMAT attempt.

During last June, I decided to apply to one of the business universities in the area. I had to get at least 570 to be eligible to apply for the MBA program. I purchased Kaplan and studied from OG 11, in addition to different resources. The study took me around two and half months, scored at the end 540 (Q 37, V 27)

The program director told me to give GMAT another try. Following the GMAT day, I resumed my studying for another month, decided this time to score above 600 at least.
I downloaded a PDF version of OG12, studied each section thoroughly. I took several prep exams, Manhattan and GMAT preps, in which I scored between 600 and 650.

The second attempt was today, studied for few hours and slept at 10 the night before, was so confident that I will get what I want. I had a breakfast at 9:00, reviewed some of the notes in the morning.

I was feeling so fine and ready for the battle, my heart was beating quickly when I entered the test center but I could calm myself. Started the exam at 10 am , enjoyed writing the AWA and felt that I did much better than before. Took the 5 minutes break and resumed the work. I could solve the first question right, the second q was tougher asking about slopes, the questions were getting tougher, I presumed that I was doing just fine especially that I had few probability problems, time management was not that good, but managed to finish on time. I felt really relaxed after the quantitative section.

After few minutes, I started my the verbal section, felt little bit dizzy and not focusing, but saved the situation and went over the questions, they were fine, I don’t know, I could never judge the level of verbal section.
Frankly, I felt the test was much tougher than the one I had in September. During the first attempt, I noticed that my quantitative questions' level was declining but haven't seen that today, I was just having about 600-level questions.

THE RESULT WAS ..........
470 :cry:
I was shocked, couldn't believe my eyes, maybe I was mistaken and read it wrong,... it is not 470... It is 740 though it is just not possible to get that one either...
Well, it was 470.. I didn't know what to do whether to cry or laugh, looked still at the screen for few minutes. then declared my defeat against GMAT. YES YOU HAVE WON...

I decided that it is enough; I can't go for any third attempt. It has already cost me a good sum of money and time in addition to a painful stress. :|

I am just not for GMAT....
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Cornell University - The Johnson School
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: Giving up GMAT with painful memory [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 13:14
Man, I'm sorry to hear about that. What do you think the program director will say? Do you think you be accepted with a 540? What was your split for the 470? Did the quant improve or stay the same? Did the verbal drop much?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Giving up GMAT with painful memory [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 13:36
Franklin wrote:
Man, I'm sorry to hear about that. What do you think the program director will say? Do you think you be accepted with a 540? What was your split for the 470? Did the quant improve or stay the same? Did the verbal drop much?

I really can't sleep and think about the awful 470. the drop was on both sides, got 21 in verbal and 34 in quantitative.. I am missed up... it is just now that I am realizing that I had failed ... :S

I wish I have a magic stick and switch the 4 with 7 :(
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 3

Re: Giving up GMAT with painful memory [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 00:51
This post received
KUDOS
rshawabka wrote:
Franklin wrote:

I really can't sleep and think about the awful 470. the drop was on both sides, got 21 in verbal and 34 in quantitative.. I am missed up... it is just now that I am realizing that I had failed ... :S

I wish I have a magic stick and switch the 4 with 7 :(

Come on, man.
Do not give up.
No one here said GMAT is easy, but try again.
Do not stress over your test.
Ask yourself whether you improved something after your last score. Be honest.
Then, if your answer is yes, your score is surely "wrong" and therefore you surely should give another shot.

That is what I thought when I scored a 480 in my first attempt (detail: when I did not know anything about GMAT, I scored this in GMATPrep 1. After 4 months of hard study, I scored the same? No way!).

Honestly, GMAT is not a good gauge of your knowledge or intelligence. Do not torture yourself if you do not score in the 80th percentile.

Think again and decide whether you are going to give up.

Best!
Re: Giving up GMAT with painful memory   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2009, 00:51