Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Glassblower Needs Your Advice on Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Glassblower Needs Your Advice on Schools [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 21:04
First, thanks so much for your time. If you could look at my information below and give any recommendations for programs that would be a good fit I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a bit of a non-traditional background and have spent the majority of my working career in the non-profit sector (outlined below.) The idea of having a mission other than simply making money is very important to me and is something I want to pursue in the future. I am interested in pursuing an MBA to to gain the knowledge necessary to successfully run a non-profit or socially conscious business in the future (post mba.) :)

Basic stats: 32/F/American

GMAT: 680 V36 M46 retaking in August

Work experience:
I picked glassblowing up as hobby in college and upon graduation decided to make it a career. On average it takes 10,000 hours (5 years of 40 hours/week) to become proficient. I spent my first three years out of college applying for and being granted scholarships for classes, sleeping on couches, working for free or room and board just to gain the skills needed to be competent enough to be paid. I now work for the leading glass museum in the world in the marketing department as a team leader, one of six full time glassblowing demonstrators and the first fulltime female glassblower in the museums history.
Among other things, my job consists of managing shows and demonstrators, and representing the museum at remote venues around the world (15 projects, led 8.)
The museum is partnered with a cruise line and my main focus for the last five years has been setting up and running glassblowing demonstrations onboard. My job includes maintenance, logistics, and managing personal onboard. I also created the training manual, trained many of the present managers, and worked onboard with 60+ different nationalities in multiple countries across the globe to ensure the smooth running of the world’s first glassblowing show at sea. I’m also occasionally called upon to teach classes and do media interviews.
I worked for the museum for four years part-time before being hired fulltime five years ago. Prior to working for the museum, I was an independently employed artist and worked for other artists and craft schools across the country.
My only non-glass related employment since college graduation was a brief part time job teaching GRE and SAT prep.

Education:
Cornell University, 3.1 BS Design and Environmental Analysis. I went to Cornell when I was 17 and spent a year in the engineering school before transferring into a major which I later found to be uninspiring and also played four years of varsity softball (hence the low GPA)

Extracurricular activities:
Glassblowing
Co-captain of the Cornell Varsity Softball –played all 4 years
Hiking- including summiting Kilimanjaro
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Glassblower Needs Your Advice on Schools [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 01:45
Thanks for the posting.

Your background is different -- and just when I thought I had seen somebody from every sort of background you appear on the scene. If properly positioned, I believe that many schools will find your candidacy compelling. You have to really showcase what you have done and the dedication that you have put into your career (call it that - not a craft of hobby) -- as I am pretty sure that admissions will not have a clue on what you had to do. I would also recommend that you really come up with compelling and specific career goals so that they can see that you have a vision for the future -- and how an MBA fits into this. This is going to be critical so that you do not come across as an artist who is tired of not making money.

Since your goals remain focused around either a not for profit or entrepreneurial endeavor, I would focus on those schools that might provide you with large scholarships -- which in your case would mean Johnson (yes, back to Cornell), Ross, Darden and Anderson. I would also recommend that you look into the Forte Foundation Fellowship to see if you can leverage this into scholarship -- and this would broaden the schools that you could apply to.

Lastly, apply R1 to as many schools as possible. This means re-taking your GMAT as soon as possible.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Current Student

Re: Glassblower Needs Your Advice on Schools [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 17:54
Hi Kimberly,

Practically on a daily basis I think what an odd job I have. It didn't really even exist six years ago. I'll definitely look into the schools you recommended. The funding is, of course, a huge factor when it comes to choosing schools. The Forte Foundation is something I'd briefly looked into it before, but am now going to dig into a little deeper. I'm definitely going to take a closer look at Anderson; it would be nice to be back on the west coast (I'm originally from California.) Can you think of any other schools on the west coast that might be a good fit? Thanks so much for the advice and, you never know, maybe someone with an even stranger background than mine will pop up. I know there out there; I've worked with them. Thank you so much again,

Annette
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Glassblower Needs Your Advice on Schools [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 07:55
The only other school in California I would recommend that you apply to would be USC - Marshall.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Current Student

Re: Glassblower Needs Your Advice on Schools [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 14:04
Perfect. Ill check them all out. Thanks so much again!
Re: Glassblower Needs Your Advice on Schools   [#permalink] 30 May 2013, 14:04