Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gloria: Those who advocate tuition tax credits for parents

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Gloria: Those who advocate tuition tax credits for parents [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 23:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
1. Gloria: Those who advocate tuition tax credits for parents whose children attend private schools maintain that people making no use of a government service should not be forced to pay for it. Yet those who choose to buy bottled water rather than drink water from the local supply are not therefore exempt from paying taxes to maintain the local water supply.
Roger: Your argument is illogical. Children are required by law to attend school. Since school attendance is a matter not of choice, but of legal requirement, it is unfair for the government to force some parents to pay for it twice.
Which of the following responses by Gloria would best refute Roger’s charge that her argument is illogical?
(A) Although drinking water is not required by law, it is necessary for all people, and therefore my analogy is appropriate.
(B) Those who can afford the tuition at a high-priced private school can well bear the same tax burden as those whose children attend public schools.
(C) If tuition tax credits are granted, the tax burden on parents who choose public schools will rise to an intolerable level.
(D) The law does not say that parents must send their children to private schools, only that the children must attend some kind of school, whether public or private.
(E) Both bottled water and private schools are luxury items, and it is unfair that some citizens should be able to afford them while others cannot.

2. Every painting hanging in the Hoular Gallery is by a French painter. No painting in the Hoular Gallery is by a Vorticist. Only Vorticists use acrylic monochromes in their works.
If the information above is true, which of the following must also be true?
(A) No French painters are Vorticists.
(B) All Vorticists use acrylic monochromes in their works.
(C) Some French painters do not use acrylic monochromes in their works.
(D) No French painters use acrylic monochromes in their works.
(E) All French painters who use acrylics use acrylic monochromes in their works.
My ans for second CR is D.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 01:14
For the first first question i think that the best answer is B.
In A she makes an analogy between eduaction and water and as the education is not the vital necessity it cannot be compared to water so A is out.
In C nothing said about private colleges. In D the attendence of some kind of school doesn't mean that the tax will not be paid, yet adresses the Roger's statement directly i think it's not what refutes his argument. E is inappropriate as the problem is in what is fair and what is unfair but about choices.
So B is the answer because Gloria states that parents choose the school for their children and people choose bottled water over public supply so if they choose to pay more why this is a problem for them to pay taxes in comparison with people who have not that much money and sometimes cut on education and water.
Well this question is difficult. I spent lots of time to find the reasoning. For the first time it seems those guys are talking about absolutely different things, but anyway who have another answer please explain.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 02:12
For 2, my answer is C.

Since some of the French artist's paintings are in the Hoular Gallery, these would belong to French painters who do not use acrylic monochromes in their works.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 05:06
for the second i agree with hosam - the answer is C

D is wrong because since you reject A choice so there are french vorticists and just french painers who are not vorticists. So in D those french painters who are vorticists use that acrylic stuf.

Also all the choices use extreme wording - no, all and just C choice uses some.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 05:27
cute_smiley wrote:
In A she makes an analogy between eduaction and water and as the education is not the vital necessity it cannot be compared to water so A is out.
In C nothing said about private colleges. In D the attendence of some kind of school doesn't mean that the tax will not be paid, yet adresses the Roger's statement directly i think it's not what refutes his argument. E is inappropriate as the problem is in what is fair and what is unfair but about choices.
So B is the answer because Gloria states that parents choose the school for their children and people choose bottled water over public supply so if they choose to pay more why this is a problem for them to pay taxes in comparison with people who have not that much money and sometimes cut on education and water.
Well this question is difficult. I spent lots of time to find the reasoning. For the first time it seems those guys are talking about absolutely different things, but anyway who have another answer please explain.

1. A. I think it is A, because we need a compulsary condition that we can see only in A. Today only I saw this question in another thread :) .

2. C

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Last edited by ak_idc on 11 Nov 2006, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 06:08
ak_idc wrote:
cute_smiley wrote:

1. A. I think it is A, because we need a compulary condition that we can see only in A. Today only I saw this question in another thread :) .

2. C

But for the first question the water is inavitably necessery for human being while the education is the matter of choice. However, since the parents already chose their children to go to school it's not the matter of choice but obligatory by government to pay all those taxes.
What are OAs?

PS. Nice to see you here ak_idc :)
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 08:39
1)D
2)C

IE IMBA 2010

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 14:44
I will go for C too.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 14:45
I will go for C too.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 19:01
OA plsssssssss

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 21:40
1) D
2) C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2006, 04:45
First CR

D is the answer. Roger says that drinking bottled water is a matter of choice while studying in private school is required by law and therefore not a matter of choice. But D says that even attending private school is matter of choice since law only states that attending school is required by law. Children can attend either private school or govt. school. They can choose either.

Second CR

Straight C

Neelabh Mahesh

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2006, 05:17
OA for first question is A guys :wink:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2006, 06:27
OA's are A and C
  [#permalink] 13 Nov 2006, 06:27