Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 03:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GM/Consulting Recruiting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GM/Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 22 May 2009, 09:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I'm thinking that I'll want to recruit for a GM rotation, industry doesn't much matter but I guess I prefer energy/diversified/aerospace. My backup plan would be consulting, as my long term goal is GM as well. So how do I go about this? I've heard consulting recruits before the corporations, so do I go all out for consulting before even knowing about my chances for a GM rotation? If so and I am able to get an offer, and then I recruit for a GM rotation and get one, will I have enough time on the consulting offer to see what happens with my GM interviews before making a decision? Just wondering if anyone else has done this, or knows something about it.

Also, the Career Leader assessment, how accurate do you think it is? I had a very high match with entrepreneurship and GM (as I expected), but a low match with consulting which is making me wonder if my backup plan is viable. Thoughts?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kelley, Moore, Krannert, Owen
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: GM/Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 22 May 2009, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
Usually, you get a few weeks to respond to any offer. This leaves you a window to see what else is out there. But once you accept an offer, you have to notify all other employers that you are talking to/interviewing with that you are off of the market. At Kelley, I believe most companies come within a few weeks of each other to interview so it's not a big issue if you get an offer early on. You still have some sort of window to play around with.
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [2] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GM/Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 22 May 2009, 14:21
This post received
KUDOS
Well not sure where you are going and what the environment is like for GM and MC at that school. There is not a ton of of aerospace stuff. In the US (outside of airlines) you are looking mainly at Boeing and then defense industry stuff (Sikorsky, Lockheed Martin, etc). Diversified has tons of options but they vary from really neat opportunities and great companies with lots of growth to kind of sucky locations and work assignments. Energy, if you want traditional (Oil/Gas, Utilities, and major servicing/construction like GE) there are tons of options. Some companies recruit at only a few schools while some will branch out to dozens. However, the positions they recruit for can vary drastically. I know some companies recruit for GM stuff on campus at a few schools but will do Corporate Fin, Ops, and Marketing at different combinations of schools. They also will hire different GM programs from different schools. You could get a GM position from a top 5 at the same company as someone from a top 30 but have completely different functions, expectations, salaries, and career paths.

At Kellogg there was more than enough pure GM stuff (as long as you have work authorization) to not even worry about needing to do MC as a backup. MC requires lots of prep work for interviews and networking. Your energy will be much better spent focusing on doing GM stuff, do a backup of operations, strategy, even marketing roles at the same company. I interviewed for multiple roles at the same companies...if you end up at in a marketing role for the summer for a company then that will help get GM at that company or their competitors. Lots of companies care as much about who you work for as what you did. Energy companies (oil/utilities) definitely look for that industry passion as much as anything.

When you show up in the fall get a list of all the companies that recruit for GM there and also find out how many people they hire and how many folks they make offers to. There are some companies that come here and make offers but few people accept, then there are companies who make one or two offers and everyone accepts. Sometimes the companies brand name means nothing, there are companies you probably never have heard of that have amazing GM career paths and huge companies with terrible GM career paths.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: GM/Consulting Recruiting   [#permalink] 22 May 2009, 14:21