Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmat

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Gmat [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 07:21
I got 17 correct out of 37 in quant and also 17 correct out of 41 in verbal is that great score for a beginner?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 4

Re: Gmat [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 09:20
This really depends on what your goal is for your score. Did you get a score?

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 620

Kudos [?]: 2494 [0], given: 745

Re: Gmat [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 09:23
Expert's post
zubiboy008 wrote:
I got 17 correct out of 37 in quant and also 17 correct out of 41 in verbal is that great score for a beginner?

It depends (you might want to change the title of the thread for suggestions from more people)
If you were fairly confident that GMAT will take few weeks of your time, then probably its not the best news.
However, you have a baseline to work on.
I d start with the gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?fl=menu and work my way up from there
All the best

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Gmat [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 04:09
I got a score of 270 but how is that possible if i answered 17 correct in quant and 17 correct in verbal by the way m using Gmat Prep software
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 641 [0], given: 6

Re: Gmat [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 15:28
Expert's post
zubiboy008 wrote:
I got a score of 270 but how is that possible if i answered 17 correct in quant and 17 correct in verbal by the way m using Gmat Prep software

17 correct --whether out of 37 for quant or out of 41 for verbal - is not where you want to be.

For more information on gmat scoring: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-prep-about ... ile-score/

Usually the raw score is not too far off from the # correct. According to the chart in the above link, even a raw score of 20 would correspond with percentiles lower than 20%ILE. If this happens for both verbal AND quant, then the overall percentile will be pronounced.

Why? Because usually people who score in the 20%ile in verbal will score higher in the quant and vice versa. If you score 20th percentile in both verbal and quant, then the overall score will likely be well below 20th percentile. An overall score of 270 is lower than we would expect, but stay on the positive side. You'd be amazed how seemingly small modifications to your approach can result in big changes.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Gmat   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2013, 15:28