Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 590

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 590 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 20:48
Hi,

I would really appreciate some inputs regarding my profile.
Much to my disappointment I landed with a 590 Gmat (28th jan 2013), although throughout my mock I had scored consistently between 660 to 690.

my last 5 Manhattan scores were : 690, 680, 660, 680, 680
My last Gmat prep scores were : 680 and 720.

Anyways, I think that GMAT in general has changed it's style of questions and none of these mocks or endless materials are true indicators of one's score.

I don't intend to sit again for the exam anytime soon. I need to get into a B school by this year although it's not an absolute desperate situation.
I have evaluated some decent colleges that still accept scores like 590.

Can anyone help me with some inputs as to whether I have any realistic chance with these colleges.

My profile in general :

31 yrs
Indian
degree : bachelor of engg (electronics and telecom) from Uni of Mumbai
undergrad score : 68%
work ex : 2 yrs with Infosys tech ltd (S/w developer for IBM mainframes)
6+ yrs with GTL ( 2G/3G/4G telecom network systems and rollouts)
total 8+ yrs work ex
decent acads and some extra curricular activities.

I have worked primarily as a Network planner and Optimiser for last 7 yrs across various OEM's : Ericsson, Motorola and Nokia Siemens.
My last project was in UK for 4 yrs with Ericsson , Nokia , T-Mobile and Hutch UK and London Olympics 2012 expansion works.
Currently on a project with AT&T- US for 4G rollouts.
1 yr in bangladesh with Motorola.

My company is an Indian based one but its more of a boby-shopping with global telecom clients.
Ideally, i have worked with major telecom client's systems within their premises.

My primary aim for doing an MBA is to return back to telecom side but on the operations/techno commercial aspects, project management and contract negotiations etc.

With my appalling score of 590; I am not considering any top B schools.

Here's my list of the programs that cater to my requirements:

1) University of Texas at Dallas (Naveen Jindal school of Managemnet) - very good for telecom companies and telecom internships.
Located in richardson, texas which is a prime telecom hub.
avg gmat is 660 on the net but do they consider profiles with 590?

2) Texas A&M - mays business school --- similar reasons as texas Dallas
Avg gmat is 640 and they have taken few candidates with 590

3) Rutgers Newark -- based in NJ -- within my gmat range although the college has priority for healthcare/pharma, some decent technology based companies also come.

4) North Carolina state Univ - jenkins business school -website shows its pretty good for technology based companies
avg gmat 620

5) Purdue univ - Krannert business school - 640 gmat avg (good for manufacturing and technology)

6) Thunderbird- expensive but within my gmat range-- more product based companies come --(my last resort or maybe reappear for Gmat)

Ideally, I would love to see my chances with texas-dallas,A&M and North carolina

can anyone provide inputs on these colleges and my chances or are there any other colleges that I have missed out.

regards
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT 590 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 23:17
Expert's post
arnob wrote:
Hi,

I would really appreciate some inputs regarding my profile.
Much to my disappointment I landed with a 590 Gmat (28th jan 2013), although throughout my mock I had scored consistently between 660 to 690.

my last 5 Manhattan scores were : 690, 680, 660, 680, 680
My last Gmat prep scores were : 680 and 720.

Anyways, I think that GMAT in general has changed it's style of questions and none of these mocks or endless materials are true indicators of one's score.

I don't intend to sit again for the exam anytime soon. I need to get into a B school by this year although it's not an absolute desperate situation.
I have evaluated some decent colleges that still accept scores like 590.

Can anyone help me with some inputs as to whether I have any realistic chance with these colleges.

My profile in general :

31 yrs
Indian
degree : bachelor of engg (electronics and telecom) from Uni of Mumbai
undergrad score : 68%
work ex : 2 yrs with Infosys tech ltd (S/w developer for IBM mainframes)
6+ yrs with GTL ( 2G/3G/4G telecom network systems and rollouts)
total 8+ yrs work ex
decent acads and some extra curricular activities.

I have worked primarily as a Network planner and Optimiser for last 7 yrs across various OEM's : Ericsson, Motorola and Nokia Siemens.
My last project was in UK for 4 yrs with Ericsson , Nokia , T-Mobile and Hutch UK and London Olympics 2012 expansion works.
Currently on a project with AT&T- US for 4G rollouts.
1 yr in bangladesh with Motorola.

My company is an Indian based one but its more of a boby-shopping with global telecom clients.
Ideally, i have worked with major telecom client's systems within their premises.

My primary aim for doing an MBA is to return back to telecom side but on the operations/techno commercial aspects, project management and contract negotiations etc.

With my appalling score of 590; I am not considering any top B schools.

Here's my list of the programs that cater to my requirements:

1) University of Texas at Dallas (Naveen Jindal school of Managemnet) - very good for telecom companies and telecom internships.
Located in richardson, texas which is a prime telecom hub.
avg gmat is 660 on the net but do they consider profiles with 590?

2) Texas A&M - mays business school --- similar reasons as texas Dallas
Avg gmat is 640 and they have taken few candidates with 590

3) Rutgers Newark -- based in NJ -- within my gmat range although the college has priority for healthcare/pharma, some decent technology based companies also come.

4) North Carolina state Univ - jenkins business school -website shows its pretty good for technology based companies
avg gmat 620

5) Purdue univ - Krannert business school - 640 gmat avg (good for manufacturing and technology)

6) Thunderbird- expensive but within my gmat range-- more product based companies come --(my last resort or maybe reappear for Gmat)

Ideally, I would love to see my chances with texas-dallas,A&M and North carolina

can anyone provide inputs on these colleges and my chances or are there any other colleges that I have missed out.

regards

Texas Dallas and A&M are stretch schools. I don't think your chances are good at either place. You have more of a shot at NC State, but even there it's a stretch. Purdue and Rutgers are also unlikely acceptances. You have a competitive profile for Thunderbird and might want to consider Hult. Univ of Arizona, and the University of Tennessee.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT 590 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 01:40
thanks a lot for the inputs
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT 590 [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 22:41
Expert's post
arnob wrote:
thanks a lot for the inputs

You're welcome. Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog