Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 01:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 5 year length question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.79
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

GMAT 5 year length question [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 18:15
Hi gmatclub,

I'm a new member here. Please help me answer a question for how long my GMAT score will last. I've read 5 years, but I think I might be stretching it a little.

I am currently a jr. in a US ugrad. I've been studying and want to take my GMAT in either late May or early June 2013. I recently signed to a summer analyst program at an investment bank (summer 2013). Assuming I get a return offer, highly likely, I will be graduating in December and starting as an analyst full-time in January 2014 (early graduation). From there on out I will be working a 2 year program until June 2016. The reason I want to take it now is because I will be abroad for my last semester in school. (Its a weird program and situation)

Now here is the situation, I am preparing even now to sign with a private equity firm 2 years after my analyst stint. This means that I will end the PE associate program in June 2018. I will be applying to bschool in Fall 2017 for entry in Fall 2018. Will my score hold any merit (if I take it now in May 2013) for entrance into bschool by Fall 2018? This is planning far into the future, but the kicker to the situation is that my IB group is known to be extremely hardcore, meaning I won't have any time outside of work to study for a GMAT. Also, the PE placement of our group is also into hardcore PE groups so I won't have any time to study for the GMAT while working as an associate. Obviously want to take the GMAT now when I am a free college student. Does the GMAT score hold for 5 years from the date you take it to the day you apply for bschool or for the day you matriculate?

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT 5 year length question [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 18:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ApacheChief5 wrote:
Hi gmatclub,

I'm a new member here. Please help me answer a question for how long my GMAT score will last. I've read 5 years, but I think I might be stretching it a little.

I am currently a jr. in a US ugrad. I've been studying and want to take my GMAT in either late May or early June 2013. I recently signed to a summer analyst program at an investment bank (summer 2013). Assuming I get a return offer, highly likely, I will be graduating in December and starting as an analyst full-time in January 2014 (early graduation). From there on out I will be working a 2 year program until June 2016. The reason I want to take it now is because I will be abroad for my last semester in school. (Its a weird program and situation)

Now here is the situation, I am preparing even now to sign with a private equity firm 2 years after my analyst stint. This means that I will end the PE associate program in June 2018. I will be applying to bschool in Fall 2017 for entry in Fall 2018. Will my score hold any merit (if I take it now in May 2013) for entrance into bschool by Fall 2018? This is planning far into the future, but the kicker to the situation is that my IB group is known to be extremely hardcore, meaning I won't have any time outside of work to study for a GMAT. Also, the PE placement of our group is also into hardcore PE groups so I won't have any time to study for the GMAT while working as an associate. Obviously want to take the GMAT now when I am a free college student. Does the GMAT score hold for 5 years from the date you take it to the day you apply for bschool or for the day you matriculate?

Thanks!

This depends on the school. Some schools want scores valid when you enter, others just care that they're valid when you apply, and even others have arbitrary test dates that they'll consider as valid.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.79
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT 5 year length question [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 18:46
aerien wrote:
ApacheChief5 wrote:
Hi gmatclub,

Thanks!

This depends on the school. Some schools want scores valid when you enter, others just care that they're valid when you apply, and even others have arbitrary test dates that they'll consider as valid.

Thanks! Theoretically, I would only go to a school if I am accepted into an M7. My undergrad college is an Ivy/ T20 Private school so I want to maintain a brand name. Is the general rule for M7 just to have scores that are taken within 5 years of matriculation?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT 5 year length question [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 18:48
Expert's post
ApacheChief5 wrote:
aerien wrote:
ApacheChief5 wrote:
Hi gmatclub,

Thanks!

Thanks! Theoretically, I would only go to a school if I am accepted into an M7. My undergrad college is an Ivy/ T20 Private school so I want to maintain a brand name. Is the general rule for M7 just to have scores that are taken within 5 years of matriculation?

Again that depends on the school. Look at the admissions FAQs for the schools you're interested in and you'll see. Granted what I've seen is based on the past few years; everything could change in another couple of years.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: GMAT 5 year length question   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2013, 18:48